BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 19, 2014 7:56 pm  #21

Re: Secret Santa Fic Exchange 2014

Yes, October will be fine. That means ... how many weeks we are going to have then?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

September 19, 2014 7:58 pm  #22

Oh, I'm in.

Thanks for taking charge, Schmiezi. 

October sounds fine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

September 19, 2014 8:38 pm  #23

gently69 wrote:

Yes, October will be fine. That means ... how many weeks we are going to have then?

Well, if I manage to send you your prompts on October 5th, and the first story is due to December 1st ...  without consulting a calender I'd say seven weeks.
I'd like to have all fics before December 1st, but in reality I am sure that some will be finished a lot earlier while others will need extra time.

But I am sure that in the end all will be fine.  :-)

@LaJolie: Yay. Welcome aboard. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

September 20, 2014 5:17 am  #24

Right then. Looking forward to it. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

September 20, 2014 9:59 am  #25

Thanks Schmiezi. So I understand that you send us the questions at the 1th, we send it back no later than the third, at the fourth you can make the matches and the fifth you give us the prompts. Then our last deadline is December 1th. 

I'm really excited, I'm sure it will be great. 

September 20, 2014 10:27 am  #26

I am also excited. Especially because it is the first time that somebody else like me will read a story I wrote ... an English story ... Oh God!!!

(Tony Hadley)

September 20, 2014 10:38 am  #27

You'll be doing just fine, gently.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 20, 2014 12:32 pm  #28

SolarSystem wrote:

You'll be doing just fine, gently.

Yeah... and if you don't, we'll only make fun of you the entire next year.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

September 20, 2014 12:35 pm  #29

What a relief. Thank you, Kerkerian. 

(Tony Hadley)

September 20, 2014 12:40 pm  #30

gently69 wrote:

What a relief. Thank you, Kerkerian.

Kehehe...

Seriously though, if you need help, I could look at it if you'd like. I've never beta-read and I am making mistakes myself, but as someone already said, it doesn't have to be perfect. So, if your story's finished before the middle of December at the latest, I could find the time to beta.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

September 20, 2014 12:53 pm  #31

You'll be fine, Gently69. Nobody will mind one or the other comma in the wrong place. Three or four, however, and we'll make you into shoes.

That reminds me to request "nothing with Moriarty".

September 20, 2014 12:59 pm  #32

La Jolie wrote:

You'll be fine, Gently69. Nobody will mind one or the other comma in the wrong place. Three or four, however, and we'll make you into shoes.

That reminds me to request "nothing with Moriarty".

Yeeees... there is a wee tiny bit of Moriarty evilness in you.

September 20, 2014 1:03 pm  #33

Oh, I'd love to write and read something with Jim.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

September 20, 2014 2:03 pm  #34

Yeah, that could be interesting.

And thank you for your offer, Kerkerian. I also got another one. You really are a nice bunch of maniacs. 

Last edited by gently69 (September 20, 2014 2:05 pm)

(Tony Hadley)

September 20, 2014 6:58 pm  #35

Kerkerian wrote:

Yeeees... there is a wee tiny bit of Moriarty evilness in you.

Oh, well spotted.

But isn't there in everyone?

Last edited by La Jolie (September 20, 2014 6:59 pm)

September 20, 2014 9:06 pm  #36

Thank you, Schmiezi for organizing the event this year. I am looking forward to it and I am glad we'll have a bit more time this year. Although time-pressure normally makes me quite productive  .
Did I understand correctly that we will know this year who will write the story for our prompt? I personally liked the secret writing last year very much. It was fun to guess who might have write which story  .  I suppose I will feel a bit self-conscious about writing the story knowing exactly that the presentee will know from the beginning that the story will be mine. I don't know if anyone understands what I mean  ?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

September 20, 2014 9:47 pm  #37

No, stoertebeker, I think it's just the same as last year: We won't know who we are writing for. Schmiezi will merely try to give each writer a prompt that fits as perfect as possible to what each author prefers to write about. But she will only give each writer the prompt without revealing whom it's from.

September 20, 2014 10:59 pm  #38

Ah, great, thank you for the explenation. That's what I had hoped for :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

September 21, 2014 8:23 am  #39

SolarSystem wrote:

No, stoertebeker, I think it's just the same as last year: We won't know who we are writing for. Schmiezi will merely try to give each writer a prompt that fits as perfect as possible to what each author prefers to write about. But she will only give each writer the prompt without revealing whom it's from.

Which basically is what I did last year. I split the prompts into two groups regarding those who were okay with Johnlock or else a same-sex relationship included and those who said they'd not be comfortable with that. Then I drew the pairings but, quite frankly, had to swap quite a lot until it fit, since most of the prompts and also the wishes were very specific. I remember that it took more than two hours to sort it out. So it's not going to be much different this year. If we get more participants, however, it might be easier to match pairs regarding their preferences.

September 21, 2014 9:05 am  #40

Ah, yes, I now seem to remember that you had to swap things in order to make it work. And quite frankly, I'm surprised it worked at all, because yes, the more specific the whises and prompts get, the more difficult it must be to make it all work out. Good work, Kerkerian!

Board footera