BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 27, 2014 3:54 pm  #241

Re: Secret Santa Fic Exchange 2014

Submitted.

What subtext? Did anyone doubt that we'd get the first one on Monday?

Schmiezi, I agree with your schedule, except with the dates towards the end. Maybe it's just me, but the actual Christmas days (starting with the 24th) are always real family time for me, which means I will just have absolutely no time whatsoever to read fic and comment on it... can't we have those just a little earlier? I'd be sorry to miss three whole stories and only get to read them when the authors are revealed and it's all over anyway... not to mention how rude and stupid I would feel if one of those was written for me...
(If it's just me, never mind, but maybe someone else feels the same?)

Last edited by La Jolie (November 27, 2014 3:55 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

November 27, 2014 4:00 pm  #242

Subtext? I just read that into it, Solar probably meant it straight but in my brain it translated as 'please? puppy eyes'. That's because I'm that way. 

Personally it doesn't really matter to me whether we do stories at Christmas. Whatever everyone is comfortable with, it'd be nice to have as many people comment as possible IMO. Make it a fun December party. 

Last edited by silverblaze (November 27, 2014 4:02 pm)

November 27, 2014 4:02 pm  #243

La Jolie wrote:

Schmiezi, I agree with your schedule, except with the dates towards the end. Maybe it's just me, but the actual Christmas days (starting with the 24th) are always real family time for me, which means I will just have absolutely no time whatsoever to read fic and comment on it... can't we have those just a little earlier? I'd be sorry to miss three whole stories and only get to read them when the authors are revealed and it's all over anyway... not to mention how rude and stupid I would feel if one of those was written for me...

That's a good point. Didn't think about it first.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

November 27, 2014 4:05 pm  #244

gently69 wrote:

La Jolie wrote:

That's a good point. Didn't think about it first.

We did do it that way last year, but I can certainly how those dates would be problematic for many (I myself won't be able to celebrate Christmas Eve and Christmas Day , 'twill be a late Christmas for me) and if we all agreed it would make more sense to maybe skip those three days and start posting on the 27th? Maybe the last could be posted on New Years Eve? I don't know, whatever works for everybody , I'm fine with whatever is decided.

-------------------------------------------------------

November 27, 2014 4:16 pm  #245

Actually, for me (personally) the last three days are the most important days of Christmas, that's why I wanted to post one fic on each of the three days.

It's a countdown to Christmas, so it should, well, you know, end on Christmas.

But if I am the only one to think so, I wil change it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

November 27, 2014 4:17 pm  #246

Important note, BTW:

All fics I have received so far are well-formated. I have tried them all and can post them within 30 seconds when they are due.
Thank you all so much for it!

Last edited by Schmiezi (November 27, 2014 4:20 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 27, 2014 4:19 pm  #247

I can understand both arguments. But I think Schmiezi is right - it is a Secret Santa and should end at Christmas. We all know that many people are busy so maybe it would not be a problem if the comments arrived a bit later. What do you think?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 27, 2014 4:20 pm  #248

Schmiezi wrote:

Actually, for me (personally) the last three days are the most important days of Christmas, that's why I wanted to post one fic on each of the three days.

It's a countdown to Christmas, so it should, well, you know, end on Christmas.

But if I am the only one to think so, I wil change it.

Also a good point. If one of the issues is people not being to read them one those days and then coming back online to find the authors already revealed, maybe we could delay revealing of the authors to a somewhat later date? Whatever works.

-------------------------------------------------------

November 27, 2014 4:21 pm  #249

I could hide the final revelation in one of those spoiler thingies.

like this.

Last edited by Schmiezi (November 27, 2014 4:22 pm)

November 27, 2014 4:24 pm  #250

Schmiezi wrote:

I could hide the revelation in one of those spoiler thingies.

Sounds perfect!
I probably won't be able to read the fics posted on the 25th and 26th right away, either. I'll just have to stay away from this thread to avoid reading any comments before I've read the fics (we will post our comments in here, right? Like we did last year?).

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 27, 2014 4:26 pm  #251

Yes. I will make a new thread just for the fics ... and for other things. It could be worth taking a look at that thread between fics, too.

Last edited by Schmiezi (November 27, 2014 4:26 pm)

November 27, 2014 4:27 pm  #252

Pics? Did I overlook something? 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 27, 2014 4:30 pm  #253

fffffffffffffics

Damn typos.

November 27, 2014 4:32 pm  #254

Now I am relieved. I thought I had to paint or draw as well. 

November 27, 2014 4:32 pm  #255

Schmiezi wrote:

Important note, BTW:

All fics I have received so far are well-formated. I have tried them all and can post them within 30 seconds when they are due.
Thank you all so much for it!

Oh, wonderful, I spent so much time trying to work that out. I was quite nervous about that.

Christmas is fine for me too, the wonderful thing about comment threads is that you can read back and comment on earlier things. I don't think it's a problem if people comment on stories that were uploaded a few days earlier. 

Schmiezi, what you could also do is just see whether most people have said something (not necessarily everyone) and then post the revelation in spoiler tags. It's nice to do the 'whaha, was that you? was that for me?' thingy, but we could also post that in spoiler tags of course. 

November 28, 2014 10:10 am  #256

silverblaze wrote:

Subtext? I just read that into it, Solar probably meant it straight but in my brain it translated as 'please? puppy eyes'. That's because I'm that way.

Perfectly sound interpretation. Of course I never doubted that we would get the first fic on December 1st, but there's nothing wrong with getting on Schmiezi's nerves, right? 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

November 28, 2014 4:11 pm  #257

Heheheh. That's not pushiness. That's enthousiasm. 

November 28, 2014 7:01 pm  #258

How about we do the revelation who wrote what a few days after chirstmas, on the 28th, 29th or something?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

November 28, 2014 7:34 pm  #259

Sounds good to me, stoertebeker.

Solar, feel free to enthusiastically get on my nerves anytime you want.

November 28, 2014 10:47 pm  #260

Can't wait for the first fic, can't wait for the first fic! Why isn't it monday already..?!

Board footera