BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 21, 2014 5:11 pm  #41

Re: Do older adults text each other?

I was going to say, exclamation marks are another bug bear!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 21, 2014 5:16 pm  #42

ancientsgate) But I don't understand the need to shout. [i wrote:

HOW MANY BOXES OF CHEERIOS DID YOU WANT ME TO PICK UP? DON'T FORGET THAT COUSIN RICKY IS COMING THIS WEEKEND, AND HE ALWAYS EATS US OUT OF HOUSE AND HOME, SO SHOULD I GET MORE THAN ONE?[/i]  Good lord. Give the world a break, guy. She's on the phone, right in your ear, not standing outside where you have to yell at the top of your lungs.

Mwahaha, I know exactly what you mean, and I hate it. But that's a problem since mobiles turned up, isn't it? It's not specific for texting or whatsapp. And it's specific for a certain bunch of people, whoever is too loud on the phone is probably also chatting away loudly in public and doesn't care about poor souls having to overhear just anything...

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

September 21, 2014 6:54 pm  #43

Whisky wrote:

Is somebody else trying to keep away from all the new technology stuff?

High five Whisky!
And I believe we're the same age. I do have a smartphone, though I always forget to turn it on. If people want to contact me they can use 1: my home phone if it's urgent or 2: email if it isn't. It's not as if people remember, btw, they'll go 'I tried to reach you on your cell phone' and I'm like 'Did you try my landline?' and they go 'No.'. Well, clearly they didn't really try to reach me then. It's not rocket science or anything. 

I have a facebook account but after I forgot my password I couldn't be bothered to update at all. My problem is that you lose track of what you put online and you don't really know who else might be watching. 

September 21, 2014 8:33 pm  #44

One note in defense of technology.  Without it most of us would've never met.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 21, 2014 8:37 pm  #45

I always say: I could live without my TV, but not my lap top!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 21, 2014 8:50 pm  #46

besleybean wrote:

I do live without my TV (apart from using it as a screen for my DVDs and for watching football). I even could live without my bed, but never without my laptop.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 21, 2014 11:59 pm  #47

tonnaree wrote:

One note in defense of technology.  Without it most of us would've never met.  

I'm not so sure about that ;)
I was a fan of many things before the internet took over my life. Fan life did work, if slightly different than now. But it could be international even back then. It's not about the technology, it's about the passion and desperate need to find like-minded people! I mean, I really like checking tumblr, twitter, forums... but that doesn't mean that going to Harry Potter parties (announced by flyers) in your local bookshop dressed up as Hermione or Ginny was less fun :D
Just saying... maybe we all would have met anyway. On a Sherlock set. A convention. Just on the street wearing our t-shirts. The internet is just making things a lot easier Just imagine if every Reichenbach theory would have been exchanged by letter!! The mail would have collapsed!

"It is what it is."

September 22, 2014 12:04 am  #48

Oh, it's good to read some of you don't do TV either. I'm living without TV for ten years now... I don't miss it. Actually TV was never popular in my life. When I'm at friend's places and watch TV there, I always get bored. I just miss documentaries sometimes. DVDs are so much more fun.

"It is what it is."

September 22, 2014 2:15 am  #49

Whisky wrote:

Oh, it's good to read some of you don't do TV either. I'm living without TV for ten years now... I don't miss it. Actually TV was never popular in my life. When I'm at friend's places and watch TV there, I always get bored. I just miss documentaries sometimes. DVDs are so much more fun.

Just curious--- w/out TV, how did you find Sherlock?

I love TV, but I pick and choose very carefully what I want to watch. And I use my DVR to record *everything* I want to see, so I can watch it later (even 15 minutes after the start of something) and FF over all those horrible advertisements/commercials/political ads. Mainstream American network TV is now about 1/3 advertisements, and I hate all of them, so I record and FF and am a happy camper. But yeah, I don't watch at least 95% of what's on-- it all skews too young and/or too male for me.

September 22, 2014 5:38 am  #50

Oh don't misunderstand me. 
If I'm in, rhe TV is on all the time, unless I'm reading.
I was just saying,if I could only keep one item, it would be the lap top!

September 22, 2014 6:11 am  #51

I do have a TV, but don't watch it much.  It's an old-style cathode ray one.  I don't know anybody else who still has one of those as their main TV, but as it has sound and a picture, I don't see any point in replacing it.   Aesthetically, I prefer the square screen.  In fact I arrange things on my PC desktop to make it more square.  

I don't disapprove of watching TV, but I've had periods of my life when I haven't had TV at all, so don't really feel the urge.   I do manage to fill what would have been TV-watching time with equally pointless things like playing games, reading books, or (mostly) being on the internet.   The truth is, my concentration isn't great.  I think the internet has spoiled me, and if I watch something on TV it has to be really good to grab me and stop me wandering off to make a cup of tea.  Or mindless enough that it doesn't matter.

September 22, 2014 6:22 am  #52

I confess I'm the same...
It's not that often I give a TV programme my full attention...or a DVD for that matter!

September 22, 2014 12:29 pm  #53

I love it all!   I love TV, but like AG, I am picky about my shows and I record most everything so I can watch it on my own schedule.

I love my Kindle, I love my smartphone and I love my laptop.  I love DVD's and MP3's I love the ineternet and the way it has made communicating with my distant friends and relatives as easy as if they were nextdoor.  I love that I have met people I never would've met if the internet didn't exsist!  I never would've met my husband if it weren't for the internet so I can absolutely say that tecnology changed my life.

So plug me up baby!  I will ride the information super highway as far as it will take me!  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 22, 2014 5:08 pm  #54

ancientsgate wrote:

Just curious--- w/out TV, how did you find Sherlock?

A friend of mine said, I have this tv series on dvd, let's watch it. We did watch one episode, then I made her watch the others with me, rest is history.
Most people do watch TV, and they talk about it. Friends approach me telling me they've watched something I might like. Or they speak about something that sounds interesting and I go looking for it. Or I just randomly browse the net for good dvd/ film reviews and get what sounds promising. No need for TV

"It is what it is."

September 22, 2014 7:20 pm  #55

As to the original question whether oldults text each other: In my case I very rarely text (if I can talk...). I almost exclusively use whatsapp or fb messenger.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 22, 2014 8:27 pm  #56

tobeornot221b wrote:

besleybean wrote:

I do live without my TV (apart from using it as a screen for my DVDs and for watching football). I even could live without my bed, but never without my laptop.

I can live witout TV but not without my laptop or bed (I love my comfort )
I prefer to text with my mobile...if I want to talk, i'm using the landline (I only have a mobile since last year^^)

---------------------------------------
Enjoy the silence
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

Board footera