BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 20, 2014 10:08 pm  #21

Re: Do older adults text each other?

besleybean wrote:

See I'm such a technophobe...I don't even know what that is!
But then, I don't have a smart phone.

Shove over and let me sit beside you, bb. I never heard of whatsapp either. ???

September 20, 2014 10:10 pm  #22

Harriet wrote:

For teens it's getting outfashioned already.

Texting is old-fashioned or passé or whatever?  Huh.  And what are they substituting for it, do you know?

September 20, 2014 10:12 pm  #23

MartaSt wrote:

My whole family text, my mother, father, even my grandmother (and she is 80). To be honest she is texting much more than I

God bless your grandma. That is so cool.

For you who use languages that employ accent marks, is it correct to text without them, or does that make the language unreadable?  In English, we have no accent marks (when I wrote passé in that last text, I had to copy and paste the word from my computer dictionary, since my keyboard has no accent capability).  Thanks for any info, I'm just curious.

September 20, 2014 10:20 pm  #24

My husband and I will text each other from different ends of the house.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 20, 2014 10:21 pm  #25

We email each other across the room!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 20, 2014 10:28 pm  #26

ancientsgate wrote:

Liberty wrote:

....I use predictive text which gives me ridiculous suggestions and often I give up and just send whatever the predictive text has chosen and leave the receiver to guess what I was trying to say....

I don't text so don't know, I'm just asking, but can't you disable (turn off) the predictive text feature? I know you can disable spellchecker, for instance.  No?  I'd be darned if I'd use any technology that insisted on making my text read wrong, but that's just me.

You can turn it off, but where would be the fun in that?  Must life lose all its mystery in the name of clarity? 

Seriously, I'm so inept with the phone that I press all the wrong buttons when I try to type it in myself (bad eyesight and clumsy fingers combo).   Plus it amuses me to see what the silly thing is going to predict.  I had to type a rude word the other day (don't ask!) and my phone refused to predict it.  What?  You don't know any words beginning with f, u and c, Mr Phone?  Well... I don't believe you. 

September 21, 2014 2:33 am  #27

tonnaree wrote:

My husband and I will text each other from different ends of the house.  

And bb said she emails her husband, even in the same house.
It beats hollering and going YOOOOO HOOOOO down the hall and up the stairs.  heh

September 21, 2014 2:36 am  #28

Liberty wrote:

You can turn it off, but where would be the fun in that?  Must life lose all its mystery in the name of clarity? 
Seriously, I'm so inept with the phone that I press all the wrong buttons when I try to type it in myself (bad eyesight and clumsy fingers combo).   Plus it amuses me to see what the silly thing is going to predict.  I had to type a rude word the other day (don't ask!) and my phone refused to predict it.  What?  You don't know any words beginning with f, u and c, Mr Phone?  Well... I don't believe you. 

Oh, okay, well, if you're amused by its hijinks, then play away!

My fingers are impossible. Have to use a stylus. But mostly I have let the texting technology pass me by. Frankly, I'm too damned cheap to pay for it. At least so far. Maybe in the future, we'll see. When everyone in my life stops answering their phones and their email, I suppose I'll have to join the fray.

September 21, 2014 9:52 am  #29

I'm not really happy about the way smartphones, whatsapp and the whole new technology stuff is taking over, because I really don't like it much (being 28), and I always get frustrated. The choice seems either
a) to join in to keep up, and it's not a choice, it's forced upon you, and I would be doing something I really don't like
or b) to not join in and loose touch with half of the world - friends who forget to include you in their plans because they planned it with whatsapp chats, work arrangements everybody knows about but you, everyday stuff everybody is talking about except me because I just don't have a clue what's popular on whatsapp/facebook/etc
This new technology has a huge impact on my life, and I don't like it at all. I have an oldish "stupidphone" without internet access, no facebook, no twitter, no whatsever is popular right now... and I wish I was 60 and could say: well, I am too old for that you know, but that excuse is hard to make with twenty-something.
I really prefer to phone whenever possible, and that's what I do with my mobile phone. Because phoning is expensive (I'm using prepaid) I will sometimes text, but my phone is just an emergency phone really.
I think Sherlock and John are more up to date than me really.
Is somebody else trying to keep away from all the new technology stuff? I'm really aware it's not a choice anymore, and I really think it does change our way of life, and I'm not sure anymore if most of those things are to our advantage.

ancientsgate wrote:

When everyone in my life stops answering their phones and their email, I suppose I'll have to join the fray.

I feel that's already happening. E-Mail feels old-fashioned already. And to imagine in my youth e-mail (and the internet) was the most exciting thing ever!! I remember how much money we paid just to browse a few minutes in the www. I'd never thought we would use it the way we do now - without care, without much thought.

Liberty wrote:

I also hate people checking texts when I'm talking to them.   It's not urgent!  .

My friends keep doing that and I think it's so rude! When I tell them, they usually don't even realise they were doing it - or they cannot understand why it is a problem for me at all! Which worries me... that they don't understand why I would feel bad if they continuesly have their smartphones on the table and chat with other people while I'm sitting right there.

Last edited by Whisky (September 21, 2014 10:01 am)

"It is what it is."

September 21, 2014 10:28 am  #30

As the vast majority of my family are in England and my son is in Italy, I make no apology for checking my phone.
At home, it,is always at my finger tips.When I'm out it's always in my car, pocket or bag.
At work I usuallykeep it  either in my coat pocket or in my pigeon hole and just check it every now and then.
If I'm awaiting an important call(e.g doctor call back) and I'm in class, I always explain to the teacher that I will need to take the call.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 21, 2014 10:58 am  #31

besleybean wrote:

As the vast majority of my family are in England and my son is in Italy, I make no apology for checking my phone.
At home, it,is always at my finger tips.When I'm out it's always in my car, pocket or bag.
At work I usuallykeep it  either in my coat pocket or in my pigeon hole and just check it every now and then.
If I'm awaiting an important call(e.g doctor call back) and I'm in class, I always explain to the teacher that I will need to take the call.

It's very different if it's family or an important call, I can understand that (I still would make an excuse).
But I don't understand exchanging silly cartoons, games on whatsapp or talking about the evening daily soap with a friend I last saw one hour ago.

"It is what it is."

September 21, 2014 11:16 am  #32

I don't do any of that!

September 21, 2014 11:34 am  #33

I always have to laugh when my mum sends me texts. She uses T9 (predictive text) but doesn't change the words. So I sometimes have to retype the words to find the meaning I think it's funny

@besleybean:

Last edited by Whisky (September 21, 2014 11:36 am)

"It is what it is."

September 21, 2014 11:37 am  #34

My Mum always texts me in caps lock..so I always reply to her with: stop shouting at me!

September 21, 2014 11:42 am  #35

I think my mum doesn't even know that caps lock are possible on a mobile :D
I'm not sure if people who don't spend time on internet platforms/chats know all the communication rules. It's an agreement on interpretation by a certain group. I know that capitals mean shouting in written communication, but I never really understood why it is used and where it comes from and I don't use it myself at all.

"It is what it is."

September 21, 2014 11:57 am  #36

Oh yes, sorry, I was being a tad amusing!
I accidentally hit caps all the time!
Yes I think I have been known to occasionally use caps for emphasis, but over use just looks fan girlish.
I remember on my last forum, even one of the mods used to get in to real trouble because she simply used caps lock all the time!

September 21, 2014 12:49 pm  #37

besleybean wrote:

Oh yes, sorry, I was being a tad amusing!

I got that ;)

Fan girlish? Can't be. Otherwise this whole fourm would be in capslock (at the very least the picture threads). Hehe.

"It is what it is."

September 21, 2014 1:11 pm  #38

Well, quite.

September 21, 2014 5:05 pm  #39

Whisky wrote:

But I don't understand exchanging silly cartoons, games on whatsapp or talking about the evening daily soap with a friend I last saw one hour ago.  

I was trying to get out of the grocery store the other day and had a near-miss with a 20-something guy coming out of the men's room with his face in his phone. All I could think of was, what in the good hell are you doing in there with your phone? What could possibly be being said or sent that couldn't wait until he's back out in his car, or at home?  I dunno, makes me scratch my head.

And speaking of grocery stores, I don't mind the idea of men calling home from the store to check with the wifey about what's on their shopping list, 'cause that happens. But I don't understand the need to shout. HOW MANY BOXES OF CHEERIOS DID YOU WANT ME TO PICK UP? DON'T FORGET THAT COUSIN RICKY IS COMING THIS WEEKEND, AND HE ALWAYS EATS US OUT OF HOUSE AND HOME, SO SHOULD I GET MORE THAN ONE?  Good lord. Give the world a break, guy. She's on the phone, right in your ear, not standing outside where you have to yell at the top of your lungs.

September 21, 2014 5:08 pm  #40

Whisky wrote:

Fan girlish? Can't be. Otherwise this whole fourm would be in capslock (at the very least the picture threads). Hehe.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THAT? ARE YOU CALLING US ALL FANGIRLS? WE'RE NOT SHOUTING, WE'RE JUST EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (I also love multiple exclamation points, don't you?)

Board footera