BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 8, 2014 5:55 pm  #1

Truth vs Fact: Magnussen vs Sherlock

Sherlock is a scientist and chemist. He deals in physical facts. Mostly.

When he's deducing, he also dabbles in a LOT of anthropology despite claiming to not understand other humans very much.

Magnussen built his empire on purporting to spread the 'truth'. Journalist rely on sources to confirm things they didn't witness themselves. The facts are filtered through a human consciousness who reports, a human consciousness who writes the article, a HC who edits, and all of the HCs who read the article. That's a lot of POVs for fact to trickle through.

Remember playing telephone as a child?

Sherlock takes exception to Magnussen passing off truth, that is unsubstantiated and shapes the world, as facts.

September 9, 2014 3:54 pm  #2

Re: Truth vs Fact: Magnussen vs Sherlock

There's also the fact of Magnussen being a power hungry, dishonest bully. 

And i'm not really buying his claims that he doesn't understand humans. I think it's more an excuse to get away with shit. It's very beautifully illustrated in ASIP where Sherlock, despite claiming to be a sociopath, exhibits more empathy and theory of mind towards the pink lady than anyone else in the room. 

September 11, 2014 12:06 am  #3

Re: Truth vs Fact: Magnussen vs Sherlock

'My brother has  the brain of a philosopher and a scientist...' -MH

The father and founder of philosophical thought believed all things that exist..are made of their substance..and what does not have substance doesn't exist...maybe Sherlocks calls love chemistry because otherwise it would have no substance and therefore, not exist!

Either way...it's feelings Sherlock claims to not undrstand..maybe he feels because they have no substance/chemical existance for the most part..to a philosopher and a scientist....they don't exist?

Magnusson doesn't care about facts or what actually exists...
'I don't need proof..I just need to print it...' -CaM

Unlike Sherlock CAM understands feelings very well..and can and does use them mercilessly against others..

Rather they are opposites..Sherlocks all about working with what exists and physical facts ..and CAM is all about working with and insinuating what does not.

CaM has achieved the holy grail of scientists and philosophers  and built an empire on it - he makes something out of nothing.

Thats why Sherlock hates him...

Strange....they both ended up as kinda pirates .

Last edited by lil (September 11, 2014 12:28 am)

Board footera