BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 8, 2014 3:18 am  #1

​Has “Sherlock” ever been shown with commercials?

When I watch it on TV here in the U.S. it is commercial free but I don’t know if it is shown the same way in other countries. Personally, I would think that commercials would butcher the general experience you have when you watch an episode of the series. It is always written and edited in a way that everything flows beautifully and I tend to think that breaking for ads would ruin all that. Besides, considering that each episode is an hour and a half long adding commercials would just make your time watching it much longer.

Anyway that’s just my two cents

September 8, 2014 5:43 am  #2

Re: ​Has “Sherlock” ever been shown with commercials?

In Germay it was and is before every series.

The ARD made a commercial befor the premier of every single season if I remember
correctly

I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second, that I am one of them...
S.H

September 8, 2014 7:38 am  #3

It was the first thing I have learnt after I joined the fandom - never to trust Moffat and Gatiss. All in all they were guys who have directed some fake scenes (for example with Mycroft and Moriarty) just to confuse fans. I think I will never trust them, even if the say that grass is green and sky is blue

reeta

September 8, 2014 7:41 am  #4

In Poland it depended on tv channel. In some (like TVP) there were no commercials but unfortunately other channels have commercials. I watched my first episode of Sherlock with commercials and it took me more than 2 hours to finish this episode. It was so annoying and has completely spoilt the mood and the atmosphere of the show.

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

September 8, 2014 12:24 pm  #5

The only reason Sherlock is shown without commercials in the US is because it is aired on our Public Broadcasting Channels.  A thing I am eternally grateful for.  I shudder to think of how American network television would butcher it to fit the commercials in.  Not to mention that 90 minutes is an extremely odd running time here in the states.  I'm sure they'd add enough commercials to make it a full two hours.
bleh

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 8, 2014 12:38 pm  #6

Same here, tonnaree. If it would be shown on private channels, we would also have several commercial breaks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

September 8, 2014 12:39 pm  #7

BrettHolmes wrote:

When I watch it on TV here in the U.S. it is commercial free but I don’t know if it is shown the same way in other countries. Personally, I would think that commercials would butcher the general experience you have when you watch an episode of the series. It is always written and edited in a way that everything flows beautifully and I tend to think that breaking for ads would ruin all that. Besides, considering that each episode is an hour and a half long adding commercials would just make your time watching it much longer.

Anyway that’s just my two cents

In Germany it is shown without any commercial breaks because it is shown by a public service broadcaster. And I am really grateful for that. I think the breaks would really spoil the experience. 

Last edited by SusiGo (September 8, 2014 12:39 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 8, 2014 4:26 pm  #8

It would be sacrilege!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 8, 2014 4:54 pm  #9

I undertood it wrong,,,,
I thought you asked if there would have been commecials FOR Sherlock...
A break ....no never here;)

I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second, that I am one of them...
S.H

September 8, 2014 8:05 pm  #10

There is actually a lot of advertising within the show itself. I rewatched a bit of TEH last night and realised that it was at least partially sponsored by Samsung -- Sherlock has a Samsung laptop and Moran is watching a Samsung TV in the hotel. I actually find this sort of obvious product placement just as distracting as an advert.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

September 8, 2014 8:06 pm  #11

I never notice!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 8, 2014 8:07 pm  #12

Honestly, it never bothered me. On the contrary, I find it quite silly if they show laptops with a pear on it instead of an apple or things like that. They are living in a real world, Sherlock is using modern technology so not why using the same brands that we do? I am always happy to use my laptop thinking Sherlock has got the same. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 9, 2014 1:19 am  #13

tonnaree wrote:

The only reason Sherlock is shown without commercials in the US is because it is aired on our Public Broadcasting Channels.  A thing I am eternally grateful for.  I shudder to think of how American network television would butcher it to fit the commercials in.  Not to mention that 90 minutes is an extremely odd running time here in the states.  I'm sure they'd add enough commercials to make it a full two hours.
bleh

I am also grateful in the U.S. for PBS.    Although with the intro/outro of each episode
it does seem a bit of a commerical for Masterpiece Mystery itself.    I find it jarring
that they cut off the Sherlock exit music at the end of each episode,   and play
the Masterpiece theme instead.          wrong!wrong!wrong!wrong !

As for product placement,    manipulative yes, but I guess I'm used to it.    I'd rather see real products
than fake ones actually.     MePhone?  really?

September 9, 2014 5:44 am  #14

I thought that was quite amusing.

September 9, 2014 6:52 am  #15

SusiGo wrote:

Honestly, it never bothered me. On the contrary, I find it quite silly if they show laptops with a pear on it instead of an apple or things like that. They are living in a real world, Sherlock is using modern technology so not why using the same brands that we do? I am always happy to use my laptop thinking Sherlock has got the same. 

I think the same. IMO the product placement in Sherlock is very unobtrusive and not really meant as commercial. When you need a TV, a mobile or a laptop as a prop during filming the set designers just need to make a decision what to use. And I think it is much more realistic to use real products than faked ones. I think in Sherlock they even try to make it less obvious. E.g. in TRF at the scene on the rooftop during the phonecall with John Sherlock covers the Apple-logo of his phone with his finger almost the entire time. I think there are much worse examples of obvious product placements in TV and movie (especially big cinema movies) than Sherlock.
I once read an interessting article about that topic. It was mentioned, one of the reasons that Apple products appear in film productions frequently is not because Apple pays for it but because set designers or others in movie making deliberatly choose these products because it's the brand they use themselves too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

September 9, 2014 6:27 pm  #16

I vaguely remember that Sherlock used an apple in earlier episodes but I'd have to go back and check. 

September 9, 2014 6:29 pm  #17

Moriarty uses one.

September 9, 2014 6:37 pm  #18

Haha, even more evidence that this was sponsored by Samsung. Apple the 'evil' computer!

September 10, 2014 4:54 am  #19

Moriarty uses an android phone, not an iphone. Which is kinda fitting because iOS and android are bitter rivals. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Series arc of Sherlock | Clues to #johnlock being endgame | My fav Sherlock blog

Board footera