BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 9, 2014 6:02 am  #101

Re: Mary's Choice

molly212 wrote:

I believe this shooting scene tells us everything we need to know about Mary. 
1. The top floor of the building has 7(?) layers of security, 2 of which are illigal in the UK. Mary entered and exited quite easily.
2. As Sherlock approached the bedroom, we can faintly hear CAM begging for his life: "please, think of your husband, he is an honorable man..."  It's no small feat to make someone like CAM (who is arrogant and always treated Sherlock and John with contempt) on his knees begging for mercy.
3. Mary does not plead or accept help. As such, Sherlock's offer to help is almost an insult to her.

In sum, Mary is deadly, extremely able and intelligent. She shows no remorse, no fear and she will accept no help. The only time she showed vulnerability or even fear was when John discovered the truth. This shows her feeling for John is genuine. To me, there is no question that she spared Sherlock's life. If she wanted to kill him, he'd be dead 10 times over.

1: Agreed (I believe it´s 14 layers of security..)
2: I don´t think it takes much to make CAM´s contemptuous attitude crumble, he´s only strong as long as he has people under his thumb. He has no moral backbone, if caught alone and unguarded he will probably break down and do everythin in order to survive. 
(Also it´s a strange thing to say, "Please, think about your husband, he´s an honorable man..", in order to beg for his life. CAM supposedly doesn´t know John´s in the building, so if Mary shot him right there it wouldn´t have affected John at all. There´d be no connection, on the contrary, with CAM gone John would be much safer. So why does he say that, and why does he bring John´s honour into play here? Honestly wondering..)
3: A friend´s offer to help is only an insult to people who value their pride above everything else. Sherlock is proud like the devil, yet he never refuses John´s help. He doesn´t always rely on it, but he´s genuinely grateful everytime it´s offered. Does that make him any less competent and intelligent? Of course not. If anything being insulted by Sherlock´s offer would show that she doesn´t consider him a friend at all and that she´s got to have it her way at all costs. That´s no criterion for competence but for stubbornness and self-centeredness.

My sum would look a bit different: Mary is deadly, extremely able and intelligent. She shows no remorse, no fear and she will accept no help. The only time she showed vulnerability or even fear was when John discovered the truth. This shows she is motivated by selfish reasons like pride and keeping John, she doesn´t consider Sherlock a friend at all . To me, there is no question that she willingly put Sherlock´s life in grave danger. If she wanted to spare him she seriously miscalculated the chance she left him,  because even with the ambulance in time and him falling in the right direction (which completely relied on chance and his own ability to stay focussed even with a bullet in his chest) he flatlined and his survival was a huge medical miracle. I find it hard to believe an extremely intelligent, cold-blooded and competent crack-shot-ex-sniper would make such a serious miscalculation because she was so stressed out and under pressure in that moment.

September 9, 2014 6:23 am  #102

Yes, I thought CAM's comments about Mary's husband were a bit odd. I presume he thinks John is her pressure point ... but why honour?  (It's obvious why if it was Lady Smallwood, but not Mary).  And yes, you're right that saying that would almost goad Mary to kill him - because at the moment, Magnusson is the only one who knows what Mary is.  (If Mary had shot him and made a run for it, then she'd have avoided the whole difficult situation, and Sherlock wouldn't have known the truth).  The other thing that's odd about that scene is Sherlock's announcement.  It sounds like a bad actor in some sub-Agatha Christie whodunnit.  Maybe he thinks he's being clever.  

@Whisky Sherlock is the only one who mentions the "surgery" story.  Maybe he believes it or (more likely) he's protecting himself - he needs Mary to believe that he forgives her.  Yes, I think Mary could have been trying to kill Sherlock.  I've tried to believe that it was just surgery, but it's really difficult because the writers made Sherlock "die".   They didn't need to do that, so it looks as if Mary virtually killed him and he survived by a miracle. 

There's no evidence that Mary called the ambulance.  Sherlock was probably unconscious.   Magnusson could have done it, or, it's obvious but Sherlock gives 8 minutes as an average.  No reason why the paramedics couldn't have just got there a bit quicker.   John doesn't seem to wonder about it, and believes they were responding to his call. 

I think it's possible that Mary might have tried to quickly convince Sherlock not to reveal her secret, if he hadn't taken that step forward (and shown that he didn't believe she would kill him).  If she'd wanted to kill him outright she'd have done so as soon as she'd got the information about John being in the building.  Negotiating would have been quite a complex option, especially with Magnusson listening in, but it looks like she may have been prepared to do it.  Sherlock makes another misjudgment there.  (I'm not excusing Mary - she's clearly perfectly willing to kill Sherlock, but I do think her threat shows that she might have been prepared to negotiate). 

Last edited by Liberty (September 9, 2014 6:28 am)

September 9, 2014 6:51 am  #103

Liberty wrote:

If Mary had shot him and made a run for it, then she'd have avoided the whole difficult situation, and Sherlock wouldn't have known the truth. 

Killing a man who has papers incriminating you hidden somewhere in the building or in his house (or so you believe at that moment) without making him confess where they are would be a stupid mistake. Mary can´t shoot CAM because she doesn´t know yet where he has hidden them - and it would be a disaster for her if they are discovered during the investigation of CAM´s murder. (Of course, no papers actually exist, but Mary has no way of knowing that.)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 9, 2014 7:01 am  #104

Yes, I thought that Mary was trying to get the files from him, rather than to kill him.  But at 221B she seems to say that she was planning to kill him (that's why there are people like her).   And Sherlock says that the reason she didn't kill him was so as not to incriminate John. 

Anyway, Magnusson suggesting that he's going to get her through John gives her more reason to kill him, not less.  It's not a wise move, but I suppose her arrival was unexpected.  I do believe Magnusson was expecting Sherlock. 

September 9, 2014 7:08 am  #105

Liberty wrote:

Yes, I thought that Mary was trying to get the files from him, rather than to kill him.  But at 221B she seems to say that she was planning to kill him (that's why there are people like her).   And Sherlock says that the reason she didn't kill him was so as not to incriminate John. 

Anyway, Magnusson suggesting that he's going to get her through John gives her more reason to kill him, not less.  It's not a wise move, but I suppose her arrival was unexpected.  I do believe Magnusson was expecting Sherlock. 

Oh, I think she planned to eventually kill him - she certainly wouldn´t be opposed to the idea - but before that, she really needed to know what exactly does he have on her. It would be stupid to go through all that effort, burgling his office and disposing of various people in it, only to be arrested later, because somebody found an incriminating material on her.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 9, 2014 7:11 am  #106

True, and come to think of it, if she knew Magnusson wouldn't give her away (because it suited her purposes), she should have just run for it when she heard Sherlock's voice.  Magnusson would have kept quiet, and Sherlock wouldn't have known (he'd have suspected Lady Smallwood and might have got to the truth when he realised it wasn't her, but in the short term it would have worked.  His only clue to Mary's identity was the perfume and I'm sure more than two people wear it).

Or, I have to say, she should have worn a mask like a proper assassin.  She didn't need to hide her identity from Magnusson, but she didn need to sneak up on Janine, so it might have been a sensible precaution.

Last edited by Liberty (September 9, 2014 7:13 am)

September 9, 2014 7:24 am  #107

The interesting thing about that is that had Sherlock not interrupted her, she would have been in the same situation he finds himself in Appledore. So in a way Sherlock "saved" her from killing Magnussen. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 9, 2014 7:29 am  #108

SusiGo wrote:

The interesting thing about that is that had Sherlock not interrupted her, she would have been in the same situation he finds himself in Appledore. So in a way Sherlock "saved" her from killing Magnussen. 

Yes, I think so too.

September 9, 2014 2:17 pm  #109

Liberty wrote:

True, and come to think of it, if she knew Magnusson wouldn't give her away (because it suited her purposes), she should have just run for it when she heard Sherlock's voice.  Magnusson would have kept quiet, and Sherlock wouldn't have known (he'd have suspected Lady Smallwood and might have got to the truth when he realised it wasn't her, but in the short term it would have worked.  His only clue to Mary's identity was the perfume and I'm sure more than two people wear it).

Or, I have to say, she should have worn a mask like a proper assassin.  She didn't need to hide her identity from Magnusson, but she didn need to sneak up on Janine, so it might have been a sensible precaution.

I agree there are probably tons of alternative ways for Mary to carry out her plan, but don't forget that this is Moffat. 

September 9, 2014 3:26 pm  #110

Schmiezi wrote:

Now I am trying to get my mind around the fact that apparently Mary is not to blame for shooting Sherlock (she was programmed and it's Sherlock's own fault that he got shot because he took a step in her direction), but John is to blame for beating Sherlock at the reunion (and will most likely show domestic violence towards his future baby).  How can a nice girl like Mary even love an atrocious man like John?

Wow. Just wow. I've been sitting here trying to decide if it was even worth responding to a post like this. I'm just flabbergasted by the inability to understand nuances in characters and the black and white vision of the world.

As I've said over and over again, we don't have enough data on Mary yet to know if she's an antagonistic ('bad guy') or a protagonist ('good guy'). That her actions make perfect sense to me do not mean that I condone her. It does take a certain kind of personality to become a government operative, assassin or not, and a certain deviation from society's code of ethics (eg. the justification of assassination or torture for the 'greater good' of the free world).  Series 4 will tell us if she wants to continue to live by that code of ethics or not.

As for John, as I've said over and over again, he needs a better therapist. He is a morally good man who has a reprehensive way of dealing with his emotions, using violence. The use of that violence is escalating and worrisome. He's not a pathologically violent person who has no hope of rehabilitation. He just needs to take a harsh look at who he is becoming and make a choice to heal before he crosses a line from which there's no turning back.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

September 9, 2014 3:50 pm  #111

Please refrain from taking this to a personal level. 

Sorry, but I cannot for the life of me see how a character who nearly kills the protagonist of the show that is named after him can turn out the good guy. Mary may be an ambivalent character and she may be redeemed partly in the next series but what she had done to both protagonists of the show clearly does not make her a good person. 

And I really do not like the way you reduce John to a patient and medical case. He has been betrayed by his best friend (even if it was for his own good) and his wife (not for his own good), the two most important people in his life. This is a lot of trauma. But for me this is still fiction, entertainment, drama, and not a documentary about abusive behaviour and domestic violence. 

Last edited by SusiGo (September 9, 2014 3:52 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 9, 2014 4:35 pm  #112

I was responding to a comment about my own comments. Kind of hard not to respond at a 'personal level.'

I am beyond done with this topic.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

September 9, 2014 5:03 pm  #113

maryagrawatson wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

Now I am trying to get my mind around the fact that apparently Mary is not to blame for shooting Sherlock (she was programmed and it's Sherlock's own fault that he got shot because he took a step in her direction), but John is to blame for beating Sherlock at the reunion (and will most likely show domestic violence towards his future baby).  How can a nice girl like Mary even love an atrocious man like John?

Wow. Just wow. I've been sitting here trying to decide if it was even worth responding to a post like this. I'm just flabbergasted by the inability to understand nuances in characters and the black and white vision of the world.

As I've said over and over again, we don't have enough data on Mary yet to know if she's an antagonistic ('bad guy') or a protagonist ('good guy'). That her actions make perfect sense to me do not mean that I condone her. It does take a certain kind of personality to become a government operative, assassin or not, and a certain deviation from society's code of ethics (eg. the justification of assassination or torture for the 'greater good' of the free world).  Series 4 will tell us if she wants to continue to live by that code of ethics or not.

As for John, as I've said over and over again, he needs a better therapist. He is a morally good man who has a reprehensive way of dealing with his emotions, using violence. The use of that violence is escalating and worrisome. He's not a pathologically violent person who has no hope of rehabilitation. He just needs to take a harsh look at who he is becoming and make a choice to heal before he crosses a line from which there's no turning back.

Mary

For the record, I love this post

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 9, 2014 6:14 pm  #114

maryagrawatson wrote:

I think I agree on that.

I'm not so sure about John though. I don't think he is a violent person, I simply think that some emotions are too strong to take out on a merely oral level. If his life would stop putting him through all that kind of emotional challenge (I mean, how many people have to deal with their best friend faking death at them and then have their wife shoot that best friend just to find out that the wife is a bit less sweet and a bit more dangerous than expected?). I don't think he is crossing lines.
I would despise a therapist who would tell me: well, these people put you through emotional hell, but hey, you are a morally good person, so don't turn to violence, just keep talking to them. They might be right, but I would still think: oh brilliant, where can I go to become such a domestic, suppressed being? We are physical beings, it's a language of its own, and a quite expressive one. Of course I would think it better John would take it out on stuff and not on Sherlock (and he does in the 221b scene with Mary! did anyone comment positive on that?) but I find it... normal. And no, that's not me saying violence is a good thing.

"It is what it is."

September 9, 2014 7:37 pm  #115

maryagrawatson wrote:

Harriet wrote:

What kind of programming are you speaking of? Is it your own definition or are you relying on some other theory?

It's the same sort of psychological conditioning you see in many fields, especially the armed forces and intelligence agencies, that teaches you to respect the chain of command, to be loyal, how to react in certain situations, how to handle certain ethical dilemmas, etc.

It's part of the training. I've worked alongside the RCMP, CSIS, the CIA, MI5, DHS, ICE, etc. and have had an inside glance at what goes into the training, especially with CSIS (Canada's CIA/MI5) since I actually started the recruitment process with them. You definitely lose a part of yourself to be part of something bigger. I don't see this as being something necessarily negative, just not for me.

If you can understand that no one can just walk off the street and become a government assassin overnight, that such a person is built from the ground up, then Sherlock's shooting makes a lot more sense.

Mary

So are you talking of conditioning instead of programming now? I was trying to find some scientific background and still have no idea what theories it's based on. The only thing I found about programming in a psychological context was NLP, a pseudo science.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 9, 2014 8:17 pm  #116

Whisky wrote:

[ Of course I would think it better John would take it out on stuff and not on Sherlock (and he does in the 221b scene with Mary! did anyone comment positive on that?) but I find it... normal. And no, that's not me saying violence is a good thing.

Hm... do you mean the scene when he kicks the chair, not Sherlock? 

I find it normal, too. Okayyyy, maybe hitting Sherlock once in TEH would've been enough, but... still I find his reaction understandable.
And yes, maybe a person who has been through all this (war, meeting Sherlock, loosing Sherlock, meeting a nice wife, almost loosing Sherlock again, discovering that Mary - ah, you know) would do good by consulting a therapist. But not "only" because he is extraordiary violent. Because he isn't.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 9, 2014 8:30 pm  #117

I suppose violence is kind of normal.  A fact of life.

SusiGo wrote:

I'd been thinking of it as Sherlock finishing off her work for her.   But I like your way too.  (And it works both ways - Mary would have inadvertently saved Sherlock from killing Magnusson if she'd been left to get on with it.  And might have saved Lord Smallwood from suicide, if I remember the timing correctly).

Maybe it's slightly redeeming if she doesn't kill anyone during her five years of new identity and her time with John.   Mary says with some irritation that the world needs people like her (to get rid of people like Magnusson), and then Sherlock comes to the same conclusion later, as a stand-in for Mary. 

September 9, 2014 8:33 pm  #118

maryagrawatson wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

Dear Mary,
I think we can agree on the fact that we disagree about how we interpret the fictional characters Mary and John.
But as we don't know each other personally, I would like to ask you to refrain from judging my ability (or lack of) to understand nuances in character or my vision of the world.

I enjoy the heated discussions on some of the topics. And I strongly feel that the foundation of the atmosphere here on the forum comes from all of us discussing things on a factual level instead of insulting each other for having different opinions. Please let us continue to do so.

Thanks!
Schmiezi

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

September 10, 2014 7:32 am  #119

Harriet wrote:

maryagrawatson wrote:

It's the same sort of psychological conditioning you see in many fields, especially the armed forces and intelligence agencies, that teaches you to respect the chain of command, to be loyal, how to react in certain situations, how to handle certain ethical dilemmas, etc.

It's part of the training. I've worked alongside the RCMP, CSIS, the CIA, MI5, DHS, ICE, etc. and have had an inside glance at what goes into the training, especially with CSIS (Canada's CIA/MI5) since I actually started the recruitment process with them. You definitely lose a part of yourself to be part of something bigger. I don't see this as being something necessarily negative, just not for me.

If you can understand that no one can just walk off the street and become a government assassin overnight, that such a person is built from the ground up, then Sherlock's shooting makes a lot more sense.

Mary

So are you talking of conditioning instead of programming now? I was trying to find some scientific background and still have no idea what theories it's based on. The only thing I found about programming in a psychological context was NLP, a pseudo science.

I on the other hand heard about such programming or training or conditioning - or what is the right term to use in this matter. It is something that is even taught to people at some schools - especially the infamous and controversial School of Americas, nicknamed School of Assassins:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/School_of_the_Americas

Because normal people have inhibitions which prevent them from hurting someone or even kill them, training at such school instills a certain level of insensivity into their trainees, so that they gradually loose their normal sense of humanity and the barriers that prevents them from hurting other people are broken within them. To cite an example, their programming includes watching videos of military slaughter accompanied by aggressive disco music as if it was great fun and adrenaline ride and not the criminal act to do such stuff. With such brainwashing, the people trained gradually loose a sense of empathy with others and finally become killing machines whose concience is absolutely untouched no matter what atrocity they are currently causing. Count in the propaganda that dehumanises their "enemy" and here you are - those people won´t stop nor feel guilty for their actions no matter what.

Of course, the people who train such scum or the members of various "agencies" like Blackwater/Academy (the organisations of cut-throats for hire) don´t make the stuff about their training public - we are pretending that we live in democratic countries where such atrocities are supposedly impermissible. That´s why most people never hear about such things. But the existence of such programming and training and the agencies specialised on performing military atrocities which cannot be performed by the regular armies because of the rules of waging war - that is the fact.

So it would not be a surprise if Mary Morstan was programmed like that. Her behaviour in the shooting scene and her consequent coldness in the scene where she is confronted with her actions in Baker Street certainly matches that pattern.

September 10, 2014 4:24 pm  #120

Thanks, nakahara - I was just asking for the correct term as it seems there is some confusion about the terms and their specific implications. Also asking for the scientific theories behind it.
Now I have the terms "programming", "conditioning" and "training". I'd guess the details matter, but then, maybe it's just me 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

Board footera