BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 8, 2014 7:15 am  #61

Re: Mary's Choice

I'm quite new to the series, so I haven't moved on yet

I think the end of S3 leaves a lot of questions, which I'm hoping will be answered in S4.  However, I watched the TEH within a couple of weeks of TRF, and found that it didn't answer all my questions.  It was quite frustrating!   There was never a full explanation (and I don't mean about how he did it).   I suspect it might be the same next time, and we'll still have to look at S3 for answers.

(I can accept what I'm shown, but the explanations given don't always work.  I think it's possible that Sherlock was made to die just for dramatic purposes, so that we could have that amazing mind palace scene, and the lovely imagery of him returning from the dead yet again.   But because they made him die, it becomes very difficult to accept his explanation that Mary didn't want to kill him). 

But to answer your question, yes, I do think it shows what Mary is capable of in S4.  She chose the violent option.  She has a baby on the way, and (I think) there are hints that that might make her even more dangerous (the comments in the books/series about love being a vicious motivator, and a woman always protecting her baby first).

September 8, 2014 7:26 am  #62

Liberty wrote:

I'm quite new to the series, so I haven't moved on yet

I am not new to the series but I still like discussing things. Honestly, how else should we pass the hiatus? 

One thing I still do not get - we are made to believe that Mary is such a clever person. But how on earth can she believe that Sherlock will not tell John what she did? Does she expect him to lie to John forever? She shot him face to face. He has seen his attacker and John knows that. Does she think Sherlock loves John so much that he wants to protect him from this knowledge? Or that threatening Sherlock is enough? Who is the one who does not know about human nature? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 8, 2014 9:35 am  #63

It's making me nervous posting without an edit button!  Please excuse mistakes, rambling, etc.

Yes, she misjudges that in a big way.  Magnusson gets it - that threatening Sherlock himself isn't a good way to manipulate him, but appealing to that caring, protective side of him is. 

By shooting him, she only buys a little time - until he's conscious.  I think that's how long she expected him to keep quiet for (and she's right - he says her name on waking).   That's why she has to get in quickly and threaten him to keep the secret.  But it's a terrible plan.  She didn't know when he was going to wake up or what he would say (what if he'd managed to say more than just her name?).   And ironically, it's the fact of her shooting him, and later threatening him, that makes him reveal her secret.  If she'd appealed to him, he might have kept quiet, if he felt that was the right thing. 

After she'd threatened him, yes, I think she did expect him to lie to John forever.  He could have done - John doesn't know that he'd seen the attacker's face.   I don't think she thought that Sherlock would want to protect John from the knowledge, but thought that he would keep quiet if threatened, so yes, I think she got that wrong.  He would have protected John from the knowledge if he thought he should. 

(I know it seems unlikely that Sherlock would ever think keeping quiet was the right thing, but I think it's possible.  He tells John because he thinks John is in danger, not because he thinks John has a right to know.   If he'd kept quiet, he could have got the files from Magnusson, Mary and John and the baby would have been safe, and John could have been happy, with Sherlock carrying the burden of the truth.  Apart from John's right to know, there's no really good reason to tell him - nothing that would give a better outcome.  If he and Mary were to carry on as normal, the less people who know the better, including him.  Telling him makes them less safe.

Which always makes me think that Sherlock must have known or guessed something else, that made it imperative that he tell John so urgently). 

It's not clear how exactly she worked in her past life - how much was zipping in and taking somebody out without thinking about it, and how much was espionage and manipulation.  She doesn't seem very good at the manipulation side at all.  (And she needs Sherlock's intervention in the "understanding human nature" department to reconcile her with John too). 

September 8, 2014 9:38 am  #64

Can't edit, so just to add - I know Sherlock couldn't actually get the files from Magnusson.  But he didn't know that. 

And about seeing the attacker's face - Magnusson is lying about that too, so it wouldn't seem odd if Sherlock said he didn't see it or didn't recognise it.

September 8, 2014 9:47 am  #65

I have contacted the admin, I cannot change the settings myself. 

I agree with you in many points. The funny thing is that she does not seem to use the time before he regains consciousness because there is no contact between her and John or her and Magnussen, at least nothing that we see. 
She also terribly misjudges John. He is a soldier and by now experienced in criminal investigation and he at once assumes that Sherlock must have seen the shooter's face. So she fails in that respect as well. 
You are right, her best chance would have been to spare Sherlock and let him help her. And I think it shows that she knows so very well how John would react to learning about her past that she does for the fastest but by far the worst solution. 
Yes, Sherlock may know something more. And for him it is imperative that John hears what has happened from Mary himself. For this he risks his own life. And this is what makes me believe that the scene in 221B is not Sherlock's true opinion but an act to make Mary think he is on her side and to keep John safe by making him stay with her, at least until Sherlock is well again. 
It is a bit like the roof scene in TRF - again he tells John things that are clearly hurtful in order to protect him. John probably would prefer to be told the truth and act for himself but this is what Sherlock does. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 8, 2014 1:59 pm  #66

I have no problem to believe that Mary shot Sherlock because shooting people is what she´s been programmed into by her former employers, when she was a killer for hire - but I think that fact is actually the proof she wanted to really kill him, not just incapacitate him. Because that´s how she thinks. If somebody is a nuisance to her, her first thought is probably to get rid of him/her permanently and to care about consequences later. Also, I think she was probably uneasy from the very start that a genius detective is snooping around her and John and it is possible she was mentally prepared for some time to silence him if he got to the core of her secret. Once you accept this as a motive for the shooting, her illogical actions become quite logical again. (Plus, don´t forget the fact that the actual claim that she only wanted to slow Sherlock down and to speak to him later was mentioned by Sherlock himself - she never said a word about the matter.)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 8, 2014 2:39 pm  #67

The trouble with believing that it's programming, that Mary is acting automatically, is that it would make more sense to shoot both Magnusson and Sherlock dead and escape with no witnesses.   She doesn't do that because of John (apparently), so it looks like she doesn't act automatically.  She stops to formulate a plan.  In doing so, she shows that she hasn't read Sherlock correctly, and possibly not John either (I'm still thinking about that one, Susi). 

I'm still not sure about John wanting to know the truth.  He does burn the memory stick, after all.  I think he hasn't looked at, because Mary believes that he wouldn't love her if he did ... but then maybe she can't judge that. 

I agree that it's Sherlock that mentions the plan, not Mary, and in fact, he leads and controls that whole confrontation, and mediates between Mary and John.  He wants to keep them together (I was thinking about why in another thread).

September 8, 2014 2:48 pm  #68

Being programmed doesn´t neccessarily mean she acts like a robot, without premeditation - only that getting rid of people by killing them is her preferable solution if she thinks someone stands in her way.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 8, 2014 3:06 pm  #69

nakahara wrote:

Being programmed doesn´t neccessarily mean she acts like a robot,

Yes, thank you. Glad someone gets it.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

September 8, 2014 3:19 pm  #70

I have a real problem with John allegedly not wanting to know about Mary's past. This is so very much against his principles, against his moral core. He has always been a moral man but never someone who did not see other people's flaws. He has always corrected Sherlock when he was rude or tactless or insulting. And this was peanuts compared to what Mary did. It is not just about nearly killing Sherlock, it is about her betrayal and her lies and the things she did before they met. If the writers want me to believe this, then I must say they have failed. And not only because it does not fit his character. They could have shown at least remorse on her side, but I just see selfishness. 

September 8, 2014 3:33 pm  #71

maryagrawatson wrote:

nakahara wrote:

Being programmed doesn´t neccessarily mean she acts like a robot,

Yes, thank you. Glad someone gets it.

Mary

What kind of programming are you speaking of? Is it your own definition or are you relying on some other theory?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 8, 2014 3:46 pm  #72

It’s a quite insightful discussion here!  I enjoyed following this discussion.

I watched HLV again last night after reading all the comments, and finally came to terms with why Mary shot Sherlock. I know what I have to say will offend many of you, for which I apologize. After all, I am a big fan of Sherlock (which is why I spent half of my weekend reading this forum and the other half thinking about it). I have to say, I’ve never put so much thought into a TV series before.

My conclusion is the following: Sherlock had it coming. Sherlock routinely ignores threats (“no one can be such an annoying dick all the time”). In the scene where John  threatened Sherlock “if you don’t shut up, you will not need morphine anymore”. What did Sherlock do? He completely ignores it. John and Lestrade tolerates it because they are loyal to Sherlock. Back to the bedroom scene: It was a very tense situation, and Mary warned Sherlock: “if you take one step forward, I swear to God that I will kill you.” Sherlock, true to character, ignored the warning.  Mary is quickly losing control of the situation and she does not have time to reason with Sherlock. So she shoots him. She looked sincerely sorry after shooting Sherlock, so I do believe she does not want to kill him and did call for the medics.

Further, I believe had Sherlock not ignored Mary’s warning and stayed back and let Mary handle the situation, she would not have hurt him at all.

On a side note, the manner in which Sherlock entered the top floor is despicable: he fake proposed to someone who genuinely liked him. Obviously it does not justify him being shot, but he really shouldn’t have done that.

This scene is so important because it showed everything we needed to know about Mary: her love for John is genuine (she forfeited her mission because she does not want to implicate John). She is intelligent. She knows what to do to remain in control.

Because of all this, I understood why Sherlock forgave her. It foreshadows that she may be willing to sacrifice herself for John and the baby in S4, and that actually will reduce me to tears.

Last edited by molly212 (September 8, 2014 3:49 pm)

September 8, 2014 3:58 pm  #73

Some remarks: 

I do not think Sherlock had it coming. Being an annoying dick and being shot is not quite on the same level. And we should not forget that John uses these words in order to show his loyalty to Sherlock. It is a crucial moment in TRF implying that John will never believe what the press or Moriarty say about Sherlock. And he kept his word. He always believed in Sherlock. 

So shooting someone is an alternative to reasoning? I think not. 

Let us assume for a moment that Sherlock had stayed away from Mary. What do you think would have happened? She threatened Magnussen to give her the documents. The documents did not exist. It would have been exactly the same situation as in Appledore and I am sure she would have shot Magnussen just like Sherlock did. And then of course she would have been forced to kill Sherlock because he was a witness. And imagine John would have followed Sherlock upstairs and become a witness, too? Would she have killed her husband as well? Sherlock let the police arrest him, telling John to keep away from him. I do not think Mary would have done the same. 

Sherlock betrayed Janine, this is true. But he was there on a case against a despicable man. A man who made Lord Smallwood commit suicide later on. And the scene in the hospital to me clearly shows their mutual understanding that they both did wrong, first him, then her, and now are even. 

Last edited by SusiGo (September 8, 2014 3:59 pm)

September 8, 2014 4:01 pm  #74

Programming seems a rather unfortunate and vague word in this context. Any type of learning could be called programming, the word doesn't mean much at all. If we're talking about the type of mind control that goes on in cults, then it's a very social thing. However, what we're speaking of here seems to me to be more like conditioning of reflexes, the same way you learn a new sport or other physical skill.

Honestly, I have no idea what type of training those kind of people get, and I don't think Moffat does either, but if you think that someone can use all their reasoning skills in a few seconds, I think you are mistaken. There's probably a number of rules and procedures those people would learn in certain situations, that can be used as heuristics. In this episode, they seemed to suggest that the rule to use in this situation is to kill the witness, and the only reason why Mary didn't do that is because she likes Sherlock too much. 

So maybe it's a declaration of love. 

September 8, 2014 4:23 pm  #75

SusiGo wrote:

Some remarks: 

I do not think Sherlock had it coming. Being an annoying dick and being shot is not quite on the same level. And we should not forget that John uses these words in order to show his loyalty to Sherlock. It is a crucial moment in TRF implying that John will never believe what the press or Moriarty say about Sherlock. And he kept his word. He always believed in Sherlock. 

So shooting someone is an alternative to reasoning? I think not. 

Let us assume for a moment that Sherlock had stayed away from Mary. What do you think would have happened? She threatened Magnussen to give her the documents. The documents did not exist. It would have been exactly the same situation as in Appledore and I am sure she would have shot Magnussen just like Sherlock did. And then of course she would have been forced to kill Sherlock because he was a witness. And imagine John would have followed Sherlock upstairs and become a witness, too? Would she have killed her husband as well? Sherlock let the police arrest him, telling John to keep away from him. I do not think Mary would have done the same. 

Sherlock betrayed Janine, this is true. But he was there on a case against a despicable man. A man who made Lord Smallwood commit suicide later on. And the scene in the hospital to me clearly shows their mutual understanding that they both did wrong, first him, then her, and now are even. 

This.
John said the exact right sentence in that situation ("no one can be such an annoying dick all the time"), because he knows Sherlock for such a long time and knew exactly, that this was the only way to really convince Sherlock of his loyality. All nice words would have been useless.
And remember, that's the way they talk to each other a lot ("Idiot!  ....  ")!

I consider this sentence and the "“if you don’t shut up, you will not need morphine anymore” as "serious" as "you bastard!" from Lestrade. Right, there was a difference; John was very angry at that moment, but still...

When Mary told him to stay back or she would shoot him I'm sure Sherlock didn't believe her because in a way he trusted her!
Surely he didn't have it coming, and I don't think that Mary shot him because he was "such an annoying dick"! 

Last edited by Mattlocked (September 8, 2014 4:26 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 8, 2014 4:38 pm  #76

molly212 wrote:

My conclusion is the following: Sherlock had it coming.

Which leads me to the next conclusion: From S4 the show will be renamed: BBC Mary 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 8, 2014 4:48 pm  #77

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 8, 2014 5:08 pm  #78

Well, I guess I could live with that... far from the TV set 

September 8, 2014 6:07 pm  #79

molly212 wrote:

My conclusion is the following: Sherlock had it coming. Sherlock routinely ignores threats (“no one can be such an annoying dick all the time”). In the scene where John threatened Sherlock “if you don’t shut up, you will not need morphine anymore”. What did Sherlock do? He completely ignores it. John and Lestrade tolerates it because they are loyal to Sherlock. Back to the bedroom scene: It was a very tense situation, and Mary warned Sherlock: “if you take one step forward, I swear to God that I will kill you.” Sherlock, true to character, ignored the warning. Mary is quickly losing control of the situation and she does not have time to reason with Sherlock. So she shoots him. She looked sincerely sorry after shooting Sherlock, so I do believe she does not want to kill him and did call for the medics.

Exactly, John and Lestrade never really hurt Sherlock because they are loyal to him and believe in his good side. Sherlock is completely convinced Mary will show the same loyalty towards him, so he appeals to their connection via John (when he calls her "Mrs. Watson") and takes a step forward.. but obviously her loyalty is not enough to let him take control. When given the choice of either letting Sherlock take over or gambling with his life she chose the latter.
Mary loses control of the situation, but apparently she doesn´t trust Sherlock enough to even consider him controlling the situation might not lead to harm for her. Either she doesn´t think he could understand her motives even though she is completely in the right (which means underestimating him) or she knows she has nothing convincing to tell him.

@Accepting the explanation and moving on: I missed my chance to overanalyse The Fall as I was late to the party, so I´ll overthink and analyze the death out of the Mary-conundrum now.. ^^

September 8, 2014 6:11 pm  #80

molly212 wrote:

Further, I believe had Sherlock not ignored Mary’s warning and stayed back and let Mary handle the situation, she would not have hurt him at all.

That´s obviously not true - because what was Mary´s deepest concern in all this? That Sherlock would tell John. Him staying back wouldn´t undo the fact that he saw her and uncovered her secret. She would shoot him regardless of his actions.

Him speaking to her makes her deed all the more despicable, in fact. Because if she shot him at the first moment, being surprised, one could interpret it as a short-circuit in her tight self-control. Shooting him after he offered sincere help - that was just lowest of the low.

molly212 wrote:

On a side note, the manner in which Sherlock entered the top floor is despicable: he fake proposed to someone who genuinely liked him. Obviously it does not justify him being shot, but he really shouldn’t have done that.

Janine claimed anyway that she knew what kind of a man Sherlock is (gay or asexual). She was probably never serious about their relationship anyway. There´s no way a normal woman would be so blasée about her fiancé abandoning her for all night and coming back in the morning - from a drug den! She was also pretty much surprised about Sherlock´s proposal - now why would a beautiful young woman engaged in a promising relationship be in such shock at the revelation? Because she knew he never meant it.

She was only Sherlock´s "fiancée" because she had an agenda of her own, IMHO.

Last edited by nakahara (September 8, 2014 6:13 pm)

Board footera