BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 5, 2014 9:00 am  #1

Mary Morstan, femme fatale and film noir

I think this meta deserves its own thread. It is excellent IMO because it neither makes Mary an outright villain nor a flawed but likable female hero but draws from classical tropes of film history. I find it quite compelling. 

http://writemeastoryofsolitude.tumblr.com/post/96644131506/mary-femme-fatale-mor-st-anMary 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 5, 2014 9:39 am  #2

Re: Mary Morstan, femme fatale and film noir

It's absolutely convincing. For me as someone who wrote his Master's thesis on the depiction of women in film noir and neo film noir this makes total sense. And I wonder why I haven't thought about this before. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 5, 2014 9:57 am  #3

That really is an intereting comparison. I always wondered of what Mary reminds me with her style in certain scenes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

September 5, 2014 10:12 am  #4

Wow, interesting.
I know see that we need to wait that long between the airings because there is so much to discover in the meantime! 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 5, 2014 7:17 pm  #5

I used to love film noir, but somehow missed that one. 

I was thinking a while ago about Mary's pale blonde hair colour in the series, and wondering why that colour was chosen.  I think this article helps explain. 

September 5, 2014 8:35 pm  #6

Oh, that's a great meta. Especially where they compare it to The Lady from Shanghai. I was really struch by how beautiful both scenes were shot, never noticed the reflections of the light in the mirrors. (There's something with mirrors in Sherlock anyway, don't you think?) I don't think we can make any inferences about the storyline from this, though. Moftiss are way too unpredictable. 

September 5, 2014 9:00 pm  #7

Very compelling meta! I also find it very convincing that Mary was modelled after the classic femme fatale. I agree with silverblaze in this though:

silverblaze wrote:

I don't think we can make any inferences about the storyline from this, though. Moftiss are way too unpredictable. 

They are just playing the game, and they make up the rules while playing.. I´d never gamble with any one of them, so I wouldn´t place any bets on Mary´s storyline taking the typical femme fatale turn. (I´d love it though..)

Board footera