BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 27, 2014 10:48 am  #121

Re: New special edition of series 1-3 with lots of extras

I don't know how this exactly works, but they released the dvd without any extras VERY quickly after S3 had been on tv.
Maybe if they wouldn't have done that we would still be waiting for any S3 dvd at all?

It could have been like: "Yes, well, the series is ready and we could release the dvd now, but we have to record the comments first and put together some extras, so: sorry folks, you'll have to wait some more months!"
As I am not a very patient person I am quite happy with how they've finally did it. And happily will buy S3 a second time. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 27, 2014 11:23 am  #122

Or 3 times, in my case!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 29, 2014 11:32 am  #123

Personally, I think it is I'll-judges for them to have done this. What it does is 'punish' those who are keen enough to buy the DVD when first issued, placing Pre-orders etc. Perhaps, in future, people will hang back from buying if the first issue does not have bonus materials. A bit naughty really! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 29, 2014 2:23 pm  #124

I have actually none of the DVDs, as i was expected for a set with all series in german. 

Till now i didn't found the commentaries to the episodes so .... enlighten. There are nice, but more banter than serious informations. Very little about the making process or what they intended to show. 

I want more to see the outtakes and deleted scene. 

September 30, 2014 5:45 pm  #125

No offense but since the series isn't over and that there are going to be more seasons coming out, I wouldn't see much point in getting this. I would rather wait until the series is finished and get the complete series when it comes out in a box set (which it will). Therefore it is more comprehensive (I also hope it includes "Many Happy Returns").

As for the deleted scenes, I think they will get posted on YouTube eventually (and probably rather quickly) by someone. Most movies or TV shows that have deleted scenes usually show up there.

September 30, 2014 8:31 pm  #126

Yeah, well, I don't like "box sets" that much AND I want to buy a dvd after the end of S1, one after S2, one after S3..... (okayyy, sometimes it's more than one  ).
NO dvd at all until Sherlock is finished?? NO WAY! 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 30, 2014 8:32 pm  #127

BrettHolmes wrote:

Therefore it is more comprehensive (I also hope it includes "Many Happy Returns").

This new special edition already includes "Many Happy Returns".

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 30, 2014 8:32 pm  #128

And how should I make my scientific screenshots without a high-quality DVD? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 1, 2014 10:45 am  #129

Mine arrived today - have you all got yours?  Anybody want to talk about the extras? 

November 1, 2014 10:47 am  #130

Still waiting but the outtakes are already on tumblr. 

So be warned - from here on there might be SPOILERS!!!!!

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 1, 2014 10:53 am  #131

Well, I'll hold off for a little while then, or use spoiler tags.

Not really a spoiler at all, but

the outtakes are really good fun! I won't say what they were - we already know two of them anyway - but it's nice to have a bit of light relief in the hiatus, after such a dark episode as HLV.

Last edited by Liberty (November 1, 2014 10:54 am)

November 1, 2014 11:03 am  #132

Can I just say that I'm quite impressed with the way Martin seems to work? There are two scenes among the outtakes where he forgets his line or gets something wrong, and he reacts in such a concentrated and professional way. You can really see that he doesn't want to lose the tension by giving in to laughter, no, he wants to stay in the moment and carry on. Of course you could say that he's a professional, and yes, he is, but still... I really like that. Don't ask me why.

Apart from that...

Benedict eating his cake and then starting to laugh would have to be my favourite moment.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

November 1, 2014 11:06 am  #133

November 1, 2014 11:08 am  #134

And I love the 

little dance

November 1, 2014 12:28 pm  #135

Here is the deleted scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNpCm1y1xEk

This is quite intriguing. Magnussen insinuates that Sherlock is gay and either Irene (The Woman) has sent the rose or the card is upside down as some clever people on tumblr said. If I remember correctly, Steven Moffat said it was from Irene.
Now I would like to know if they originally wanted to substitute this scene for the one with Janine or Mary or if they wanted to keep all three. 

November 1, 2014 12:56 pm  #136

It was an unexpected treat to get more of Magnusson being Magnusson! 

If Moffat said the rose was from Irene, then the W could stand for Woman (although I don't know how she would know he was in hospital - has she been keeping tabs?).  I've been trying to see what the picture is on the card to see if it's upside down or not, but can't make it out.  Can you?

Does Magnusson insinuate Sherlock is gay?  When he mentions woman's hands, do you mean?  I'm going to have to watch it a few times, but I thought Magnusson was hinting that he'd have some sort of (sexual?) control over Sherlock (as with other victims) - "you'll get used to it" ... although that wasn't followed through.   I suppose it could make Sherlock's hate of Magnusson even more personal. 

I wonder why it was left out - due to time, or because it was misleading, or because it was unnecessary?  It's obvious that Magnusson didn't tell the police about Mary and that he does that to keep control, so maybe it was felt that it didn't need to be said. 

I was amused by "musician's hands" coming just after the Elle interview and the "violnist" comment!

And yes, loved the scenes above, and the little dance - did I see Vicky hiding behind the chair?, his mum with the crackers, etc.

Last edited by Liberty (November 1, 2014 12:58 pm)

November 1, 2014 1:03 pm  #137

Yes, I think he definitely did insinuate Sherlock is gay. Because his first two remarks about his hands were statements, but the third one is a question fraught with - whatever. A mixture of lust and love of power? Does he want to blackmail Sherlock with his knowledge about Mary? He seems to be sure that he is going to continue to touch Sherlock. 
I have no idea if they cut it because it made Magnussen's interest in Sherlock far more personal than just using him as a pressure point for Mycroft. What do you think?

November 1, 2014 1:22 pm  #138

Yes, and I think that Sherlock, of all people, would be quite resilient - he wouldn't be so traumatised by Magnusson as some people might be.   Going through John is a much better way to get to Sherlock, and that's the method Magnusson uses.   Mycroft does put Sherlock horrible situations, so again, he could maybe withstand Magnusson's creepiness towards Sherlock ... I think that to get to Mycroft, he'd be more likely to threaten Sherlock's life (as he threatens Mary's life to get to John).   So maybe that sexual aspect is redundant (story-wise).  But I thought it did add a little something. 

Magnusson does confirm that Mary came to kill him (rather than try to extract her "files").   At least that's what he thinks.

November 1, 2014 2:06 pm  #139

I simply couldn't resist the temptation 

Reichenbach Fall vs. Sheet Fall

November 1, 2014 2:22 pm  #140

Seeing this scene with creepy CAM i start to think more and more that if the baby is not John's is his as he get very sexual towards his victims. 

Board footera