BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 13, 2014 7:00 pm  #101

Re: New special edition of series 1-3 with lots of extras

Er, I had already ordered the S3 special!
So I have plans...for more DVD redistribution!
My parents already have my original 3 series.
I'm wondering if my sister wants my current one and I was thinking of giving my S3 special to a pal!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 14, 2014 6:06 pm  #102

Harriet wrote:

Money making of the worst, if you ask me. I don't even want to see these scenes.
They could have added it to the first edition if they had wanted to, but no, they waited to jump on the Christmas train and lure fans to get more DVD sets of the same. I find that disgusting.
Rant over 

I agree with you. What really annoys about this is that I have to buy the series which I already own to see the extras. Why didn't they put them on the original DVDs?

Last edited by Bronte89 (September 14, 2014 6:07 pm)

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

September 14, 2014 7:09 pm  #103

LIke I said, I will end up with 3x complete series and 4 copies of series 3...naughty BBC.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 14, 2014 8:34 pm  #104

A lovely light wrote:

the Harry /Shut up scene in TSOT. 

Sorry, I must be extremely dense. I just watched tsot and there's no such scene. Did I miss it? Where in the story is it located? Could it be the scene with Mycroft in Scandal? 

September 14, 2014 8:37 pm  #105

It is when Sherlock tries to find out John's middle name. Here the scene from arianedevere:

ANOTHER DAY. The boys are sitting at the kitchen table. John is reading the paper. 
SHERLOCK: Henry?
JOHN (without looking up): Shut up.
(Sherlock bites into a piece of toast.)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 15, 2014 1:27 am  #106

Bronte89 wrote:

Harriet wrote:

Money making of the worst, if you ask me. I don't even want to see these scenes.
They could have added it to the first edition if they had wanted to, but no, they waited to jump on the Christmas train and lure fans to get more DVD sets of the same. I find that disgusting.
Rant over 

I agree with you. What really annoys about this is that I have to buy the series which I already own to see the extras. Why didn't they put them on the original DVDs?

Seriously!  Especially when all I want are those two extras.  I mean, I'm glad they had a change of heart in putting out all that other stuff, but I'd gladly buy just a dvd of extras, not a higher priced 're-release' of the series (although not sure how that would work with including just the 'commentary' episode).  Shame on me for thinking this, I know, but idly wondered how soon someone put up just those bits on youtube….   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

September 15, 2014 6:05 am  #107

Very soon, I should think.

September 15, 2014 6:50 am  #108

SusiGo wrote:

It is when Sherlock tries to find out John's middle name. Here the scene from arianedevere:

ANOTHER DAY. The boys are sitting at the kitchen table. John is reading the paper. 
SHERLOCK: Henry?
JOHN (without looking up): Shut up.
(Sherlock bites into a piece of toast.)

A thanks. I probably skipped over it. 

September 15, 2014 9:54 am  #109

I'm so confused about what is actually BRAND NEW on this release now. I know the 5 mins of outtakes are new...but aren't the documentaries new too? And the commentary on TEH?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 15, 2014 9:57 am  #110

As for the commentary on TEH - the January edition had no commentaries at all therefore it must be new. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 23, 2014 8:32 am  #111

Now the infos are changed on the BBC shop site. For the box set there is said:

BBC shop wrote:

[...]
Case 3
Sherlock Series 3 Special Edition (Blu-ray)
Sherlock Series 3 Special Edition (DVD)
Including Series 3 Prequel - Many Happy Returns (7 Mins) & The Empty Hearse Audio Commentary

Case 4
Full Extras on both Blu-ray & DVD
Series 3 Prequel - Many Happy Returns (7 Mins)
Audio Commentary – The Empty Hearse & His Last Vow
Sherlock Uncovered – The Return (25mins)
Sherlock Uncovered – The Women (25mins)
Sherlock Uncovered – The Villains (25mins)
Unlocking Sherlock (55mins)
Deleted scene from Series 3 (2mins10secs)
Bloopers from Series 2 & 3 (4mins30secs)
TV Interviews x 4 – Series 1

Also contains the existing Series 3 Extras
Fans, Villains & Speculation, Shooting Sherlock & The Fall

Source: http://www.bbcshop.com/drama+arts/sherlock-the-complete-series-1-3-ltd-ed-gift-set-uk-exclusive/invt/bbcdvd4008

The page of the Complete Series 3 Special Edition DVD says:

BBC shop wrote:

All new bonus materials include:

Source: http://www.bbcshop.com/drama+arts/sherlock-complete-series-3-special-edition-dvd/invt/bbcdvd4004

So it's the same stuff on the box set DVD 4 and on the Special edition series 3 DVD. But why is the mini-episode "Many Happy Returns" and the audio commentary for "The Empty Hearse" on Case 3 and Case 4 of the box set? I don't get it.

And it also shows that there are audio commentaries for "The Empty Hears" and "His Last Vow".

Last edited by Steph (September 23, 2014 8:33 am)

September 23, 2014 8:55 am  #112

I don't know why they've put it in twice - maybe just to list it under the extras?

Really good news about the commentary for HLV, though!  It's a shame there isn't a commentary for all three, but two out of three ain't bad!

September 23, 2014 3:47 pm  #113

Ooh yes!

September 24, 2014 10:32 am  #114

Russell wrote:

Bronte89 wrote:

Harriet wrote:

Rant over 

Seriously!  Especially when all I want are those two extras.  I mean, I'm glad they had a change of heart in putting out all that other stuff, but I'd gladly buy just a dvd of extras, not a higher priced 're-release' of the series (although not sure how that would work with including just the 'commentary' episode).  Shame on me for thinking this, I know, but idly wondered how soon someone put up just those bits on youtube….   

I don't understand what all this fuss is about.
It's a "common habit" to release an extra or extended version for several dvds. So people should know, right?
Example: The Hobbit. I watched it at cinema but didn't buy the first dvd - as I knew there would be an "extra-extra-extra-extended-special version" later on. I bought that one.
So if you are impatient and buy the first release just a few weeks after it was on screen (just like I did  ), it's your "fault".
So now I have a recorded version on my laptop, the first S3 dvd in my shelf... and I pre-ordered the dvd including extras and comments. But I don't really care. Being a fangirl can be expensive sometimes.... 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 24, 2014 5:32 pm  #115

Oh, I can understand the fuss .  I know it happens, and I'm not going to buy any Hobbit dvds until after the series finishes and the sooper-dooper complete special edition with all the extras has been released and is remaindered.  However, the blatant money-making is a bit irritating.  They're relying on the many fans who will buy things when first released, and who want complete editions.   They could make it easy for those people by releasing complete editions from the start.  Or they could release a cheaper "extras" DVD later, so people don't have to buy the same film twice.  But they make more money doing it this way - it feels exploitative to me. 

Last edited by Liberty (September 24, 2014 5:32 pm)

September 26, 2014 6:40 am  #116

I don't understand your fuss. In Sherlock's case they're releasing an "extras" DVD, so you don't have to buy the whole series again if you already have them (I copied the link of the BBC shop site above). I think this is quite unusual and I'm glad that they're doing that.

In case of the "Hobbit" trilogy I'm also waiting until all 3 films will be released as special extended editions in a special box as they did with the "LOTR" trilogy. You just have to be patient. But I admit that with the "Hobbit" trilogy there is an end in sight - compared with series where it could go on for years and years.

Last edited by Steph (September 26, 2014 6:47 am)

September 26, 2014 6:55 am  #117

I don't think they're going to release it separately though.  It's only with the Series 3 special edition, or the box set, so people who bought Series 3 are going to have to buy it again.   (Or are they going to release it separately?  That would be great if they do that!  As long as they do it before the special edition is released, otherwise people will end up buying that one).

What I mean about it being exploitative - with the Hobbit, for instance, they could release the extended versions at the same time as the basic versions, but then the keen fans would only by the extended version.  If they release the basic one first, then a lot of people will buy both, as they're released.    It seems a blatant way to make extra money without giving the fans any more value. 

Last edited by Liberty (September 26, 2014 7:01 am)

September 26, 2014 7:05 am  #118

Ah! I think you're right. I just have seen it - it's really the series 3 with new bonus material. So I'm understanding the fuss now.
I hope it will be the first and the last time they're doing this.

Last edited by Steph (September 26, 2014 7:06 am)

September 26, 2014 6:14 pm  #119

Liberty wrote:

What I mean about it being exploitative - with the Hobbit, for instance, they could release the extended versions at the same time as the basic versions, but then the keen fans would only by the extended version.  If they release the basic one first, then a lot of people will buy both, as they're released.    It seems a blatant way to make extra money without giving the fans any more value. 

Regarding all the discussion above… yeah, some have a point that it's logical to expect an 'extended' edition of things and why all the fuss-  and sure, for some movies like the Hobbit, I'll wait for those.  But I agree the excitement that they're finally doing this is dampened by having to buy such an expensive special edition with everything that we've already seen, except for the commentary, some interviews, and two quite short deleted scene/blooper segments!  That's what feels a little exploitative, to have to buy it again when those are the only extras some people want.
Ah well…  we'll still love the new stuff anyway, right?

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

September 26, 2014 8:42 pm  #120

But the really expensive thing is the box with series 1 to 3. And if I am not mistaken, the outtakes and the deleted scene are just from series 3. So nobody has to buy the box if they do not want the busts and things. Of course it may be annoying to have to buy series 3 again but it is still much cheaper than the special edition. 

This is included:

All new bonus materials include:

Board footera