BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 25, 2012 7:10 am  #1

The ring

Mycroft wears a ring on his third finger right hand. Mark Gatiss makes it clear in the DVD commentary that this is a prop/costume item. So why do you think he is wearing the ring?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 25, 2012 8:34 am  #2

Re: The ring

Is it a Masonic ring? Mycroft being a Mason would not surprise me in the slightest.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 25, 2012 9:04 am  #3

Gatiss makes it clear that its a prop rather than people think it is his own ring.

However it has been noted elsewhere that Anthea also wears a similar ring on the same finger. Possibly just pure speculation as there's no reference to Mycroft being involved in any secret societies or lodges etc etc nor would he need to be really.

I think it was discussed more to allay speculation that there's more to it; which like every other syllable uttered by Gatiss & Moffatt has probably been twisted into wild theories already .
lol

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 28, 2012 7:55 pm  #4

But it still comes back to...why have the ring as a specific prop?

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 28, 2012 10:06 pm  #5

Why have Mrs Hudson trying to carry on an affair with the guy from the deli?
Why have Sherlock eat from Mrs Hudson's fridge at will?
Why does Sherlock wear a scarf & coat?

It's just something to round out the character. In most scenes nearly everything you see is a specific prop, someone has decided what goes in the scene and what goes. The ring, the shoes people wear , etc would all be no different.

Funnily enough it does spark conversations in another area but I will leave that alone.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 29, 2012 6:18 am  #6

It's very unusual in British society for a man of Mycroft's class and line of work to wear jewellery of any kind, apart from a wedding ring. Therefore the ring can be seen as significant. It is certainly to round out his character, but it is unexpected.

June 4, 2012 3:13 am  #7

Well, if it's true that the ring Anthea wears is identical to Mycroft's (I haven't noticed), seems we should all be looking for similar rings on other characters' fingers (i.e., the people that swarm to Sherlock's "body", etc.). Something to keep us busy during hiatus, anyway. 

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

Board footera