BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 27, 2014 10:49 pm  #1

Are there any fans of Rowan Atkinson?

Obviously, anyone who is from U.K. knows he is but most people in other countries (like the U.S.) aren’t familiar with him.

Yet, everybody seems to know Mr. Bean, when someone says the name. It was his most popular creation. When I was a little kid, I used to love watching Mr. Bean on PBS here in the states. I even rented out videotapes of Mr. Bean episodes. Mr. Bean is a man-child to whom life is a difficult challenge where he can’t even do the simplest of tasks and can leave a mess wherever he goes. The show is mostly visual humor and slaptick with a main character who is usually silent (when he does speak he has a mumbling sort of voice).

Although, as I’ve become an adult, I have come to regard BlackAdder as Atkinson’s best work. Edmund BlackAdder is a sly schemer who will do just about anything to get his way. Both malicious and blissfully nasty, he is the opposite of Bean (who is a gentle soul). His name would exist throughout time as the series would go from Middle Ages to Elizabethan Times to the Napoleonic Era to the trenches of World War I. Tony Robinson always played BlackAdder’s not so bright sidekick Baldrick. It was from this series that I came to love British comedy, as it was an acquired taste for me. The series was a combination of droll, sarcastic humor along with situation comedy. It also helped launch the careers of Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie.

His stage sketches can be great too such as the one in which plays Satan called “A Warm Welcome” or the one in which he gives a sermon called “Amazing Jesus.” Rowan also did fine work on a sketch show in the late seventies called “Not the Nine O Clock News.”

He also has done some movies such “Bean” and “Mr. Bean’s Holiday” as well as the “Johnny English” films. Critics disliked them but they were big international moneymakers. He also did the voice of Zazu in “The Lion King” (1994)

So have you seen any of Atkinson’s films or TV shows?  If so what was your impression of him?

August 28, 2014 5:08 am  #2

Re: Are there any fans of Rowan Atkinson?

Yes. He is very smart. My family refers to him as the modern Chaplin coz like Chaplin's tramp, Mr Bean is a mostly non-speaking role told through body language. My parents speak poor English but have no problems understanding Mr Bean episodes.

My favourite portion of Blackadder is the intelligent Jibberish segment where Contrafibularity was first introduced

Last edited by saturnR (August 28, 2014 5:13 am)

August 28, 2014 8:25 am  #3

I love Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean.
Watched all the episodes several times, never get tired.

The films like "Mr. Beans Holiday" and "Johnny English" I don't like that much. I don't know why. It's just not the same as the episodes.

I LOVED him in "Love Actually" as shop assistant.  "Oh, this is so much more than just a baaag!" 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 28, 2014 8:41 am  #4

Oh yes, "Mr. Bean" is cult. Could watch the episodes over and over again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 28, 2014 9:49 am  #5

I absolutely loved the Blackadder series (R.I.P. Rik Mayall). They were so well grounded in history and his character's interaction with others,  especially Baldrick (Tony Robnson) was classic. The final series was so full of pathos too. It made me cry.

As for Mr. Bean, I can appreciate his popularity but I do not really enjoy the character's  exploits much- I was always more of a fan of Harry Langdon anyway, than Chaplin.

I really like some of his character sketches and his face is so...so...adaptable. He is a very, very clever and talented chap.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 28, 2014 10:27 am  #6

Mattlocked wrote:

I LOVED him in "Love Actually" as shop assistant. "Oh, this is so much more than just a baaag!"

Alan Rickman and Rowan Atkinson, I love that scene..

August 28, 2014 10:30 am  #7

His little part as clerical novice in "Four weddings and a funeral" was really sweet.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 30, 2014 3:46 pm  #8

I love Rowan Atkinson, especially Mr. Bean, Blackadder and his sketches in Rowan Atkinson Live - I've seen some of them a hundred times and they still make me laugh. You can watch them on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw8dW9Hyno0

- -  - –  – –  - - -  - - - -  -  - – -  - – - -  – – –  – - – -  – - –  -  – - -
Up, down, flying around, looping the loop and defying the ground.
They're all frightfully keen, those magnificent men in their flying machines!

Board footera