BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 24, 2014 3:26 pm  #1

Vienna

Hey, I was wondering if anyone had noticed any refrences to Vienna in the third Series. There was a refrence to Vienna in both the other Series.

In Series One - Episode Three (The Great Game) Sherlock, and John were looking at Connie Prince's body and Sherlock said "the tetanus enters the blodd stream, Good Night Vienna."

In Series Two - Episode Two (The Hounds of Baskerville) When Frankland says he knew Sherlock he said the met at a confrence in "Brussles, was it?" to wich Sherlock replies "Vienna".

I have only been able to watch the third Series once, so if you've notice anything please reply.
I have known Moffet long enough to know there is no such thing a a coincidence.

Cheers,
HB

(Formerly of
Woodditton, UK)

August 25, 2014 2:31 am  #2

Re: Vienna

Good question, Hiddlesbatch.  I picked up on the expression "Goodnight, Vienna" as well.  You just piqued my interest, so I looked it up. 

Wikipedia explains the phrase as follows:  "Goodnight Vienna is the fourth album by Ringo Starr. It was recorded in the summer of 1974 in Los Angeles, and released later that year. ...... The title is a Liverpool slang phrase meaning "let's get out of here".

So our Sherlock is a Beatles fan?  Or somehow familiar with Liverpool slang!

British fans, can you tell us how common the term is?

August 27, 2014 9:17 am  #3

There is no reference to Vienna in S3, at least not in the dialogue. If there's anything visual, I haven't checked that.

I believe we may be over-analysing just a little here.

I am glad to hear though that I wasn't the only one wondering about "Goodnight, Vienna". From the context it's obviously meant to mean something like "Game Over" but "Let's get out of here" is somehow not the appropriate comment at a death from poisoning that the victim neither wanted nor expected. For a suicide, maybe, but for murder?

Last edited by La Jolie (August 27, 2014 9:18 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

August 27, 2014 4:12 pm  #4

It is a standard English expression for, as you say; game over.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 27, 2014 5:41 pm  #5

besleybean wrote:

It is a standard English expression for, as you say; game over.

Thanks.  I thought it must be something like that.  As an American, I frequently puzzle over certain expressions - though that's part of the fun.

August 27, 2014 7:36 pm  #6

La Jolie wrote:

I believe we may be over-analysing just a little here.

no way!   

But yes, I also wondered about the  'goodnight vienna' thingy. Thanks for clarifying that a bit!! )

August 27, 2014 8:40 pm  #7

It means nothing me.  This means nothing to me. 

Oh, Vienna.

(I'll get my coat).

(No seriously, I was wondering if the HOB quote had anything to do with the song, but probably not).

September 30, 2014 11:23 am  #8

I get the impression that the links you posted go only to the first part of each of the analyses, but I can't find the continuations... feeling really stupid here, but help would be much appreciated.

sara

Board footera