BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 22, 2014 9:10 am  #1

Redbeard

At the start of HLV, Sherlock is trying to make it public that he has a drug problem.  The idea is that CAM will see drugs as his "pressure point", and so will think he's got the upper hand. 

I do have a bit of a problem with that, because of all the things he could have picked, drugs aren't really that bad.  I mean, he has already been suspected of child abduction, murder, etc., and had his name cleared with his reputation intact.  He's a maverick character - I really doubt that it would ruin him to be suspected of drug taking.  And also he's a known drug user.   And also he makes it sure that the story is printed - meaning that CAM wouldn't have any leverage for blackmail - it's already out there.  So I'm not sure how he thought CAM would see drugs as a pressure point (maybe by believing that he was an actual addict, so withdrawal would be a big threat?  I don't know).

Anyway, CAM comes to the house, and "reads" Sherlock's pressure points.  The one he says out loud is "Redbeard".  That's the most secret one.  The others would be easy to guess (John's blog).   He does actually say it out loud, doesn't he?  And Sherlock hears it.

But just after CAM leaves, Sherlock still seems to believe that CAM thinks drugs are his pressure point.  Why, if he's just heard him say "Redbeard"?  Or is Sherlock bluffing, for John's benefit?  Does he know that he's entering into something much darker, but is keeping that information from John? 

Last edited by Liberty (August 22, 2014 9:42 am)

August 27, 2014 1:50 am  #2

Re: Redbeard

I believe Sherlock is an actual addict - he even tells John this twice at least.

So I also think Sherlock is just bluffing to hide his own weakness from John, yes.

Magnusson will know anyway that Sherlock has a history with drugs... but he chooses wisely not to use this against Sherlock, but something else/better. Sherlock could have been absolutely clean, and I suppose Magnusson would have played exactly the same game. I don't think Magnusson ever underestimated Sherlock, and I am not sure Sherlock is intending to lead him to that assumption.

I wonder nevertheless... Molly thinks Sherlock is on drugs, but he's never in withdrawal, is he. But I don't know much about these things.

Last edited by Whisky (August 27, 2014 1:52 am)

"It is what it is."

August 27, 2014 2:08 am  #3

Whisky wrote:

I believe Sherlock is an actual addict - he even tells John this twice at least. 

What confirms it for me is when he says that he's clean in ASIP. That choice of words indicates that he was habitually using drugs and no longer does.

I wonder nevertheless... Molly thinks Sherlock is on drugs, but he's never in withdrawal, is he. But I don't know much about these things.

He was most likely on heroin and we don't know for how long. It takes time to develop a physical need for heroin and you can build up a tolerance, so he might not have been taking enough to experience severe withdrawl.

Later in the episode, when he's on morphine (which is medical heroin) and keeps asking for it, I believe it's because he's in pain, not because he's craving the drug.

Further reading:

What Drug Was Sherlock On?

Sherlock, His Drug Habit and the Science of Addiction (posits that Sherlock is not and never was a junkie)

His Last Vow – Sherlock, Drugs and Urine Tests (more on how one becomes addicted to heroin)

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

August 27, 2014 4:31 am  #4

I like to believe that by choosing drugs as his "official" pressure point we get an insight into this mind. For him, drugs are the worst pressure point because there is a thruth in it.

Child abuser, murder, that is so not him that he does not bother. But drug abuse hits home. IMO one more aspect in the whole Magnussen affair where he miscalculated because of his naivité.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 27, 2014 7:09 am  #5

I'm not sure that he really is an addict (in the sense that withdrawal would be dangerous - I know there are different levels of addiction, but I was looking for something that he thought CAM would think he could use against him.  It can't just be exposing his drug use, because he's a known drug user anyway).   Anyway, I don't get the impression that he's continuously using throughout the series, and we don't see a withdrawal.  I completely agree that the need for morphine is because he's in pain, Mary. 

What I mean about the child abduction and murder, is that Sherlock has already been believed guilty of far worse things than drug use.  That's all been printed in the paper during/after TRF.  And Sherlock came through all that (eventually) and came out intact.  CAM would know he has no leverage at all by threatening to print things, and Sherlock would know that. 

Anyway, what I was saying was that CAM actually tells Sherlock out loud what one of his pressure points is, "Redbeard".   It's also the one pressure point which is not public knowledge at all.  It should be obvious to Sherlock at that point that CAM is not fooled.   But Sherlock blithely talks as if he is. 

Actually, I wonder if this is (yet another) cover up for John.  Sherlock does hear "Redbeard" and know that CAM's ammunition is going to be much more personal.  But John doesn't know the significance of the word, and Sherlock lets him believe that HE thinks CAM thinks drugs are the pressure point.   But why would he deceive John about that?  I have some thoughts but have to rush - I'm curious about what you think. 

August 27, 2014 9:49 am  #6

I think the moment Magnusson says "Redbeard", Sherlock is aware he might go for a personal way to get to Sherlock. It must have occured to him (or not? is he that unaware?) that John would be in the line of fire. Moriarty figured it out too. I'm just not sure if Sherlock is that blind (could be), or if he simply chooses not to share with John the news that he (John) will be used as pressure point - John really dislikes it to be used as a tool in Sherlock's games, even if he is fine with going on cases and getting otherwise involved.

"It is what it is."

August 27, 2014 5:39 pm  #7

That's what I thought.  Sherlock has to have picked up on it, but is hiding it from John.  It was always a bit hard to believe that Sherlock would think he could trick Magnusson so easily. 

If Magnusson can guess Redbeard, the most obscure pressure point, then of course he can guess John.  So yes, I see what you mean, Sherlock knows from the beginning that Magnusson will use John to get to him. 

(But Sherlock doesn't seem to think that John is at serious risk until the shooting.  So it's something about Mary shooting him that makes him understand that, and no wonder he has to get back as he's partially responsible.   I still feel as if I can't put that bit together and see clearly in what way Sherlock believes John is in danger.    Maybe because the chain is connected - Sherlock didn't see how Magnusson could get to John, but now sees that he could to it through Mary (which he does).   But that doesn't put John's life at risk and Sherlock's reaction seems to be about trying to save John's life.  Sorry, I'm just rambling on because I never quite get it.  Maybe I won't until S4.)

Maybe Sherlock doesn't tell John because he thinks he's safer not knowing (as with TRF).  Or maybe because that's how Sherlock works.  I think that this time is more of an obvious deception than some other times, though. 

Do you think Magnusson actually uses "Redbeard" at all? 

August 27, 2014 6:06 pm  #8

No.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 27, 2014 6:31 pm  #9

How do you think he could use "Redbeard"? I was wondering about that.. the only thing it can do to Sherlock seems to be already done, for a second bring back hurtful childhood memories and by that bring him out of step in a confrontational situation. But is there any more he could do?

Last edited by Zatoichi (August 27, 2014 6:32 pm)

August 27, 2014 7:11 pm  #10

I don't know.  He doesn't directly use the other pressure points either, just John.   It's odd that he tells Sherlock it, though.  Maybe that's how he uses it - to let Sherlock know that he really does know his pressure points?    Love, loss, fear, doubt, etc., despite Sherlock's facade. 

August 28, 2014 3:23 pm  #11

It's meant to intimidate, nothing else. And even then it's not really effective because Sherlock would understand that Magnussen could only have gotten it from Mycroft. 

August 28, 2014 5:30 pm  #12

silverblaze wrote:

It's meant to intimidate, nothing else. And even then it's not really effective because Sherlock would understand that Magnussen could only have gotten it from Mycroft. 

That's an awesome point, Silverblaze. As for addiction; obiviously Sherlock isn't what popular culture thinks of as an addict. Before Sherlock leaves the hospital to set up Mary at Leinster Gardens, when he's being tortured by Janine-- he actually ends up turning his morphine DOWN. Janine questions him about it, and he tells her that it's "bad for brain work". 

That's not an addict. He may have had a drug problem once, but I don't think he was ever a hardcore junkie. Like, someone with a serious habit. If he did, it couldn't have been for long. Maybe he hit a rough patch for , like a summer or something. Maybe he recreationally used, and Mycroft and Lestrade took it beyond seriously (which they probably should have) , but he's not high throughout the whole series, until it comes to this case. 

He was faking, and Magnussen saw right through it. 

August 28, 2014 5:37 pm  #13

Why would that make it ineffective?  It does seem to be ineffective in that it doesn't stop Sherlock going after Magnusson, but it looks like Magnusson WANTS Sherlock to go after him.  I agree about it being intimidating, but it's also giving Sherlock some information - that his setup didn't work and that Magnusson knows to hit where it hurts.  

Board footera