BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 21, 2014 8:14 am  #41

Re: One episode or scene that you can't rewatch?

I think the writers and Mikkelsen did a brilliant job in creating a convincing villain who at the same time was so very different from Moriarty. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 21, 2014 8:55 am  #42

Absolutely. And I think it's a bit sad that we only saw him for one episode. I guess it's only logical that they can't do it like they did it with Moriarty and have him there for two series, more or less. But just one episode... it feels like a bit of a waste, to be honest.

By the way, because the reunion was mentioned: I actually have a much bigger problem with the scene in the tube carriage in TEH. It still makes me feel uncomfortable to see how Sherlock manipulates John into accepting his apology. I kind of understand where Sherlock is coming from, but still... 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 21, 2014 9:02 am  #43

I can understand that. It is a difficult scene and while I have made my peace with it, it is still not easy to watch. As I said before, my favourite scene is the short one in the hallway at the end. "I heard you". 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 21, 2014 9:06 am  #44

By the way, do we have a thread for scenes we could watch over and over and over and over again...? Because that scene, Susi, would definitely be among the scenes I could watch without end. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 21, 2014 9:08 am  #45

Nope. You are free to open one anytime. 

August 21, 2014 10:31 am  #46

SolarSystem wrote:

On Magnussen: 

I love all those tiny moments where you immediately realize what kind of a man and villain he is. So different from Moriarty, which is great. 

Which is exactly the reason why I don't only hope but firmly believe that Moriarty isn't coming back, at least not in the same role. After they've made the step towards presenting interesting and varied villains, it would be such a disappointment if they now just went back to Moriarty again. We've done the completely derailed psychopath now for more episodes than I care for, thank you, can we please have something NEW? It's unlikely we'll get someone as brilliant as Mikkelsen's Magnussen in every episode now, and I also seem to remember a quote from a Moffat interview where he said that you don't have to have one particular larger-than-life arch-enemy to have a good adventure/crime plot. So I'm very willing to make do with less three-dimensional, less elaborate baddies from now on as long as they remain interesting and varied. Lord Moran maybe was an all-tim low in terms of being a convincing villain (WHO is he? WHO does he work for? WHY does he want to blow up Parliament? HOW does Sherlock know he's a suspect? Do you all realise that his is not even a speaking part?) but I'd rather have more Lord Morans than the same old Moriarty over and over again...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

August 21, 2014 12:04 pm  #47

I'm honestly wishing for the Big Bad of S4 to be Moran.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 21, 2014 12:08 pm  #48

La Jolie wrote:

and I also seem to remember a quote from a Moffat interview where he said that you don't have to have one particular larger-than-life arch-enemy to have a good adventure/crime plot. So I'm very willing to make do with less three-dimensional, less elaborate baddies from now on as long as they remain interesting and varied.

We know how the curse of the sequel works for baddies - the next one has to be more evil than the previous one, so at some point the plot becomes ridiculous, because how many times you can do that? But I'm sure Moftiss, being expierienced and smart writers, won't fall for that. They already created two totally different villains, the one we loved and the one we hated. In my opinion, it's good that Magnussen was only in one episode, I don't know if I'd handle his appearance in a whole season. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

August 21, 2014 4:40 pm  #49

Episode: I really don't like TRF and it's the only one I've watched only three times (initial viewing, watching again before series three, and a final time after TEH). I still have no idea what's going on in it, what's real, and it leaves me feeling very frustrated.

Scene: Much as I love HLV, I skip over the scene of Magnussen molesting Lady Smallwood at the beginning. Just ick!

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

August 21, 2014 6:19 pm  #50

I love every episode to bits and would never skip even the tiniest scene - though there are some I do not like too much. One that springs to mind is the "hiding in plain sight" conversation between Sherlock and Ms Wenceslas. I do not like Sherlock in his uniform and hat. Not at.all. Of course there are boring parts in the episodes as well. But even there I would find some surprising gold grains and interesting stuff in them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 21, 2014 6:23 pm  #51

I'm with you to a certain extent.
I don't skip any parts
But I really don't think i can think of any boring parts..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 21, 2014 8:53 pm  #52

tonnaree wrote:

I'm honestly wishing for the Big Bad of S4 to be Moran.

Now that's a truly original and very interesting idea. Are you serious? Is there anything to support this theory?

I very much thought that the BBC Moran was just a one-off and only took his name from ACD's Colonel because he was chronologically the next villain in line after Moriarty. But now I think I'm loving the idea that there is more to him, that we may actually still learn something about him as a person and about his reasons for becoming a terrorist...

Maybe he's not just the next big villain but actually connected with Moriarty, just like his ACD namesake? Maybe it was he who engineered Moriarty's "return" at the end of HLV?

But then he's never mentioned in connection with Moriarty's vast network that Sherlock spent two years dismantling. Is it realistic to assume that Sherlock simply missed that link?

And we last saw Moran arrested for a crime that surely must have sent him to prison for the rest of his life. How to get out of that one? But then, Moftiss have written their way out of even tighter corners than that before...

Oh, this is WAY off topic. Tonnaree, I think we need a whole new thread of our own in the S4 Speculation forum...

Last edited by La Jolie (August 21, 2014 8:56 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

August 21, 2014 9:17 pm  #53

Actually, I think there already is  one!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 22, 2014 2:43 pm  #54

Marta wrote:

I usually fastforward the moment when Magnussen licks Lady Smallwood's face. It's disgusting. Also, I couldn't rewatch the scene when Magnussen peed in the fireplace in 221b for about two months. Finally, I did but I still don't feel well when I watch it. 

Marta, I'm right there with you. I know it's a credit to the writing, acting and directing, but I too skip as much of Magnussen as I can.

August 22, 2014 2:46 pm  #55

Can't rewatch the Christmas reconciliation scene for multiple reasons. I know it's considered super romantic but just makes me cringe with discomfort from beginning to end.
During the last hiatus I found TRF hard to watch with all those sad feelings at the end.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

Board footera