BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 20, 2014 7:55 pm  #21

Re: One episode or scene that you can't rewatch?

For me, Sherlock alone after the wedding felt bittersweet...and eeewww Magnussen licking the lady's face!  I look away when that's happening!
But am I the only one who feels that Sherlock's "speech" at the wedding was a bit awkward?.  I mean, it looked bizarre with him suddenly shouting & rapidly talking about matters unrelated to the wedding while wildly gestering and staring off into space...
Funny, when Mrs. Hudson cracked the comment that he could be a candidate for being shot...she knew that his demeanor was somewhat disconcerting, yes?   No?  Offended anyone?  I'll humbly apologize here now, but glad to be able to "vent" about that!  

"He's cluing for looks" ~ fave quote to date!
Cracks me up always!

August 20, 2014 8:02 pm  #22

I think the wedding speech encapsulates Sherlock in a nutshell.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 20, 2014 8:08 pm  #23

besleybean wrote:

I think the wedding speech encapsulates Sherlock in a nutshell.

Indeed! (Albeit a rather large nutshell! )

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

August 20, 2014 8:15 pm  #24

Encapsulates...sure, but in that setting it just seemed strange...like, if he was in Molly's lab & working out those odd bits of puzzles, I wouldn't even blink, but during a formal wedding toast???

Cracks me up always!

August 20, 2014 8:19 pm  #25

It's the best wedding speech I've ever heard!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 20, 2014 8:30 pm  #26

REALLY?!  wow, you must have been hearing some major "dusies"!!!  Ha, ha!

Cracks me up always!

August 20, 2014 8:35 pm  #27

I don't think there's anything I can't rewatch.  I know I went on and on about being disturbed by John hitting Sherlock, but I did rewatch that several times.   I'm probably not as gripped by supposedly exciting action scenes as I am by the more emotional scenes.  If I was going to fast forward or skip anything it would probably be the action or comedy scenes in favour of more intense emotional scenes or "Sherlock being clever" scenes.

Last edited by Liberty (August 20, 2014 8:44 pm)

August 20, 2014 8:35 pm  #28

besleybean wrote:

It's the best wedding speech I've ever heard!

REALLY?!?  wow, you must have been hearing some real "doosies", ha ha...!

Cracks me up always!

August 20, 2014 8:38 pm  #29

I hate weddings and everything about them,...so Sherlock summed up my sentiments rather nicely!

August 20, 2014 9:05 pm  #30

besleybean wrote:

I hate weddings and everything about them,...so Sherlock summed up my sentiments rather nicely!

Hey, I'm not a fan of weddings either for lots of reasons (prefering a simple "Justice of The Peace" office visit in an informal courthouse-type setting. That would suit me just fine) but Sherlock was, like, in a different dimention and alienated himself away from...oh, yeah, you LIKE that alienation don't 'cha?!

Cracks me up always!

August 20, 2014 9:11 pm  #31

I usually fastforward the moment when Magnussen licks Lady Smallwood's face. It's disgusting. Also, I couldn't rewatch the scene when Magnussen peed in the fireplace in 221b for about two months. Finally, I did but I still don't feel well when I watch it. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

August 20, 2014 9:21 pm  #32

Magnusses gives me the worst shivers... he's a truly disgusting villain!

(and to think that when I saw the actor recite Casanova he refused to start before he knew that me and some of the other women were okay and comfortable enough (all the seats were filled quickly so some of us sat on the floor in ball gowns))

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 20, 2014 9:27 pm  #33

Marta wrote:

I usually fastforward the moment when Magnussen licks Lady Smallwood's face. It's disgusting. Also, I couldn't rewatch the scene when Magnussen peed in the fireplace in 221b for about two months. Finally, I did but I still don't feel well when I watch it. 

Well said, my dear!  That fireplace scene...SO so very horrible!!  It makes me angry & wish that SOMEONE would strike him!!!  Somebody STOP him for crying out loud!  Arrugh!!

Cracks me up always!

August 20, 2014 9:29 pm  #34

I think I'm going to be the odd one out, but I love all the creepy Magnusson bits!  I loved that he did those tiny and fairly innocuous things that were deeply repulsive and controlling.  It was a great way to make a point, and to establish what kind of villain he was. 

August 20, 2014 9:35 pm  #35

I actually think Magnussen was both written and played brilliantly. Which is part of why he disgusts me so much... he is too 'good' at being a villain.

Lars Mikkelsen has a great talent like that... I completely forgot about the humble man I saw live some years ago. Gosh. Totally off topic. But him reciting Casanova was so swoon worthy. 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (August 20, 2014 9:57 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 20, 2014 9:49 pm  #36

I bet it was!   And I agree - the fact that Lars Mikkelsen is so good and convincing makes it more disturbing.  I still loved all his scenes, though, very much.  I really wish he was coming back. 

August 20, 2014 10:29 pm  #37

Liberty wrote:

I think I'm going to be the odd one out, but I love all the creepy Magnusson bits!  I loved that he did those tiny and fairly innocuous things that were deeply repulsive and controlling.  It was a great way to make a point, and to establish what kind of villain he was. 

Kinda hate to agree with you, but you make a great point!  He IS a worthy opponent & perfectly villanous.  Yep. The guy's good, but I still want to slap him...oh, wait...Sherlock already did that...with a BULLET ~ cue evil maniacle laughter, now fading in the distance as I walk away smiling ~

Cracks me up always!

August 21, 2014 5:52 am  #38

Well if we're including scenes that make us feel uncomfotable...Sherlock becoming a murderer is at the very top of my list.

August 21, 2014 7:59 am  #39

Well the scene that I absolutely hate with a vengeance and can’t bear to watch (but do anyways) is Sherlock and John’s reunion scene in the TEH. I mean it couldn’t have gone any worse than that.

Well we all know how Sherlock’s suicide devastated John. And personally I have reasons to believe that John thinks he was responsible for his suicide. If we view things from his perspective it would appear that Sherlock did a 180 from I’m being set up to I’m a fake  -which John knows for a fact being not the case- and committed suicide because John, his only supporter at the time accused him of being a heartless machine and left.

So all these years he has carrying around this massive pain and guilt and right when he was trying to let it all go and move on in comes Sherlock like nothing happened and it was all a big joke (experiment?)!!

John: Two years… Two years… I thought… I thought ... you were dead! Now, you let me grieve, hmm? How could you do that? How?

And Sherlock couldn’t have picked a worse way to approach him. I mean I could see he was practically shaking with nervousness and using jokes as a defense mechanism but it went over John and Mary’s head. And then later he said that John was overreacting and made him think keeping him out of the loop was for his own good. And let’s not forget how he inappropriately tried to appeal to john’s danger loving side. It was all a complete train wreck and all the time I was cursing Moffitson and Co. for their brilliant writing, acting cinematography and whatnot. Sherlock rushed to meet John hours after he was being beaten to a pulp but I doubt John knows about it. And he did mention that he was almost in contact with John so many times but of course the writers make John latch on to it meaning he isn’t trustworthy. And look at what John concludes from all this on his blog:

… He'd gone into hiding, happy to leave me and everyone else thinking he was dead. He'd done it to save us but he hadn't trusted us enough to tell us what was really going on….

…Sherlock and my girlfriend turned up in the nick of time and saved me. It was probably Sherlock himself. Set it all up just so he could save my life so I'd forgive him about what he did…

…I mean I know he's a psychopath and I've accepted that but what he did this time, it was too much…

My head still hurts when I watch that scene but you got to admit it was good TV. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Series arc of Sherlock | Clues to #johnlock being endgame | My fav Sherlock blog

August 21, 2014 8:12 am  #40

Harobed wrote:

Liberty wrote:

Kinda hate to agree with you, but you make a great point!  He IS a worthy opponent & perfectly villanous.  Yep. The guy's good, but I still want to slap him...oh, wait...Sherlock already did that...with a BULLET ~ cue evil maniacle laughter, now fading in the distance as I walk away smiling ~

I do agree, I love all those tiny moments where you immediately realize what kind of a man and villain he is. So different from Moriarty, which is great. I actually always have a huge smile on my face during those first scenes in HLV, because while being so disgusting he at the same time almost talks like a true gentleman, if you know what I mean. And he's calm and knows that he is the one who is in charge. 
Apart from that, it's a huge joy to watch a brilliant actor bring such a role to life. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera