BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 20, 2014 4:12 pm  #1

One episode or scene that you can't rewatch?

The question of avoiding an episode came up in another thread.  I think it deserves a thread of its own.

I have literally lost count of how many times I have watched most of the episodes.  There are moments and scenes in all of them that are like crack to this addicted fan. 

BUT I cannot rewatch The Reichenbach Fall.  I know this is a favorite for some, but for me it is just too painful to see Sherlock being destroyed.  Even though I know it was deliberate on his part, planned between him and Mycroft, I just can't enjoy it.  The only scene I will rewatch - in isolation- is the one between Sherlock and Molly.

What about the rest of you?  Least favorite or won't-go-there episodes or scenes?

August 20, 2014 4:27 pm  #2

Re: One episode or scene that you can't rewatch?

Sherlockismyfix wrote:

BUT I cannot rewatch The Reichenbach Fall. I know this is a favorite for some, but for me it is just too painful to see Sherlock being destroyed. Even though I know it was deliberate on his part, planned between him and Mycroft, I just can't enjoy it.

This, this, so much THIS!

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

August 20, 2014 4:29 pm  #3

I dislike the Mary/Sherlock motorbike scene - it so bores me. Actually, the whole bonfire thing.
And the Chinese Circus scenes. Long and not really interesting.
Sometimes also the Sherlock/Cabbie dialogue. I'm always just glad when the Cabbie gets shot and it's over 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 20, 2014 4:44 pm  #4

I need to be in the right mindset before watching HLV... it tears me apart if I'm not 'ready' for it. Especially the mind palace scene... Ugh. Ow!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 20, 2014 4:47 pm  #5

I have re-watched all episodes quite often, so no, there is no scene I have not seen more than once. 

But there is one scene that makes me cringe every time - the scene in front of Sholto's hotel room. I do not like Mary forcing herself on Sherlock and John during a case, I do not like Sherlock's "Get your wife under control!" because it is very much out of character, and I do not like the way John calls him a drama queen and belittles his abilities. The only reason I watch it is Sherlock's short dialogue with Sholto which is beautiful. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 20, 2014 4:50 pm  #6

Harriet wrote:

I dislike the Mary/Sherlock motorbike scene - it so bores me. Actually, the whole bonfire thing.
Sometimes also the Sherlock/Cabbie dialogue. I'm always just glad when the Cabbie gets shot and it's over 

Harriet, I'm with you on two out of three.  As you say, the whole bonfire thing, and the circus scenes are boring.  The episodes seem to deflate during those scenes. I often FF through them for that reason.

I originally felt the same about the cabbie scene, but for myself, I have found that it rewards rewatching, I have come to appreciate the really fine acting from both Ben and Phil Davis.  We see Sherlock's vanity and weakness on display, along with his brilliance.  And the cabbie's subtle changes of expression speak volumes.

August 20, 2014 4:58 pm  #7

Well, that is probably why I hesitated putting the dialogue on this list. It's for sure much more revealing than the other two scenes. But it still happens that if we want to watch Sherlock and don't have the time for a whole episode we agree on "ASiP without the Cabbie scenes" 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 20, 2014 5:03 pm  #8

Sherlockismyfix wrote:

Harriet wrote:

Harriet, I'm with you on two out of three. As you say, the whole bonfire thing, and the circus scenes are boring. The episodes seem to deflate during those scenes. I often FF through them for that reason.

I originally felt the same about the cabbie scene, but for myself, I have found that it rewards rewatching, I have come to appreciate the really fine acting from both Ben and Phil Davis. We see Sherlock's vanity and weakness on display, along with his brilliance. And the cabbie's subtle changes of expression speak volumes.

I kind of agree with both of you. The motorcycle scene is just boring, boring, booooooring.
The scenes in the Chinese circus aren't quite as boring and there are some very nice moments... when John tells Sherlock that he's trying to 'get off with Sarah', and later when Sherlock watches John and Sarah for just a tiny moment. But apart from that it's just too long.
The conversation between Sherlock and the cabbie is also a bit too long for my taste, but yes, the acting in that scene is brilliant.
The showdown in THoB also stretches out for a bit too long.

But there actually aren't any scenes or episodes that I can't watch because it's too painful. The pain in "Sherlock" actually feels so good... it's amazing how much I am still moved by the end of TRF. When an episode works like that even after having seen it countless of times... that's brilliant storytelling.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 20, 2014 5:12 pm  #9

There is not one scene that I always avoid but lately I've found it hard to watch the scene at the end of TSoT when Sherlock finds himself alone on the dance floor.  It really breaks my heart.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 20, 2014 5:21 pm  #10

tonnaree wrote:

There is not one scene that I always avoid but lately I've found it hard to watch the scene at the end of TSoT when Sherlock finds himself alone on the dance floor.  It really breaks my heart.

You are right, Tonnaree.  That moment absolutely kills me.

August 20, 2014 5:33 pm  #11

*Sobs* That scene breaks my heart in so many ways. Bless him!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 20, 2014 5:38 pm  #12

I just want to wrap him in a blanket take him home and give him tea and biscuits.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 20, 2014 6:11 pm  #13

Oh SIB.
Can' stand the woman anywhere near him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 20, 2014 7:09 pm  #14

Oh, come on girls - TSOT and particularly the ending is the right kind of pain, isn't it?

(Btw, am I the only person who actually felt it was not sad at all that Sherlock walked away from the wedding? I'm still convinced it was the best thing to do for all concerned. But that's for another thread.)

I, too, have to be in the right mood for TRF and/or HLV. Even when I am, I FF the opening scenes with Moriarty's "break-ins" and with Magnussen imposing on Lady Smallwood, because Moriarty bores me and Magnussen gives me the creeps.

Favourite non-favourites of mine include the motorcycle/bonfire sequence in TEH, the planetarium/golem sequence in TGG, the Chinese circus, and Drunklock. Now go and shoot me, but I find brainless slapstick just as boring as brainless action.

I also don't enjoy the sequences in TGG when the hostages have to read out Moriarty's messages to Sherlock. Their distress is so real, it really gets to me.

Last edited by La Jolie (August 20, 2014 7:20 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

August 20, 2014 7:15 pm  #15

I was dreading drunklock.
But it's actually very well done.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 20, 2014 7:23 pm  #16

It's well acted, but I personally find it inordinately long. I feel that there is nothing either in the plot or in the characters' development to justify making it so long. I dislike it when I feel they're just catering to the fans, and this sequence was the worst bit of gratuitous fanservice in the series so far, IMO.

But then, I believe this thread isn't supposed to be for in-depth discussion, and I've also just realised it's about the scenes that we can't rewatch, not about those we simply enjoy less than others.

Last edited by La Jolie (August 20, 2014 7:25 pm)

August 20, 2014 7:29 pm  #17

True.
So for me, it's ANY of the violent ones...I dion't do violence at all

August 20, 2014 7:39 pm  #18

La Jolie wrote:

I also don't enjoy the sequences in TGG when the hostages have to read out Moriarty's messages to Sherlock. Their distress is so real, it really gets to me.

Oh yes, good point, a reason why I find it hard to watch TGG, too.

August 20, 2014 7:47 pm  #19

besleybean wrote:

So for me, it's ANY of the violent ones...I don't do violence at all

And still you're a big fan of a detective series. Sorry, a series about a detective. How does that work?

I'm seriously asking you for advice. My mum doesn't do violence either - she's seriously distressed by any sort of fictional violence and avoids it wherever she can. She also gives this as the main reason why she is - to my sorrow - not at all interested in detective stories. I love them, always have, and I've always wished I could share that passion with her.

So how do you enjoy a detective story even when you seriously dislike violence? Any advice I could pass on to my mum?

Last edited by La Jolie (August 20, 2014 7:48 pm)

August 20, 2014 7:51 pm  #20

I watch Sherlock for one reason alone: the friendship....
No too many scenes I have to turn away at: Sherlock hurting the cabbie, CAM being shot...

Board footera