BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 17, 2014 8:48 am  #1

The door knocker: Mycroft, Sherlock and John

There's a little scene in HLV where Sherlock and John arrive at Baker Street and find that Mycroft has straigtened out the door knocker.  Sherlock explains that Mycroft does it without thinking.  Then Sherlock pushed the knocker to the right without thinking - obviously meant to be a habit similar to Mycroft's.   Later, when they come out of the building John pulls the knocker to the left, without thinking: that made me laugh!   But then, just after (after Sherlock has left), it looks as if John has straightened the knocker again.

It could just be a continuity error but it seems unlikely when the earlier scene makes such a point of how the knocker is hanging!   Is there any significance in John having the same obsession as Sherlock and Mycroft, but leaning the knocker to the left?  And then straigtening it up (Mycroft's move)?

(I've editted due to mixing up my rights and lefts. 
Mycroft straigtens the knocker.
Sherlock pushes it to the right.
John pulls it to the left, then later straightens it).

Last edited by Liberty (August 17, 2014 10:16 am)

August 17, 2014 10:06 am  #2

Re: The door knocker: Mycroft, Sherlock and John

Someone posted on tumblr a gif from an earlier episode in which we see John leaving the house and leaving the door-knocker exactly the way Sherlock puts in HLV. Sorry but I cannot remember which episode it was from. This could mean Sherlock wants to have it the way John used to leave it when he lived in 221B and not in the straightened way. Or that he just is fed up with Mycroft trying to tidy up his life. Maybe someone knows about the scene and can post a pic. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 17, 2014 10:13 am  #3

I can also see John enjoying annoying Mycroft...it's Sherlock and his flat, not Mycroft's!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 17, 2014 10:21 am  #4

But the funny thing is that John ends up straightening the knocker, like Mycroft (unless it's a continuity error.  He must have done it very quickly)!  And when he pulls the knocker, it's the opposite way to Sherlock.  I'll see if I can work out how to post pics and show it.

August 17, 2014 10:27 am  #5

Ah I see...this to me would fit in better with John's character. I think he's quite precise and neat and deosn't like Sherlock squabbling with Mycroft.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 17, 2014 10:44 am  #6

Just after John has pulled the knocker to the left.

After Sherlock has left in the taxi, the knocker is straight again. 

Sorry about the quality of the pictures.  And actually, after rewatching I'm leaning toward it being a continuity error.  It's just a little too quick for John to jump back and change it.  But I prefer to think that he does.

August 17, 2014 11:43 am  #7

Is that TEH, when he gets distracted by the lads with their Guy?

August 17, 2014 11:47 am  #8

It's from HLV, when they leave the flat after Magnusson.

August 17, 2014 11:50 am  #9

Ah...
Though he is distracted speaking to Sherlock, so maybe an absent minded thing...

Last edited by besleybean (August 17, 2014 11:52 am)

August 21, 2014 6:57 am  #10

It was the first thing I have learnt after I joined the fandom - never to trust Moffat and Gatiss. All in all they were guys who have directed some fake scenes (for example with Mycroft and Moriarty) just to confuse fans. I think I will never trust them, even if the say that grass is green and sky is blue. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/lol.png

August 28, 2014 4:50 pm  #11

It's worse than that. I'm so paranoid now that I'm considering the idea that the Mycroft/Moriarty scene was legit after all, and we'll see it in s4! 

August 28, 2014 5:12 pm  #12

Nice thought...but I doubt it.

August 28, 2014 5:13 pm  #13

silverblaze wrote:

It's worse than that. I'm so paranoid now that I'm considering the idea that the Mycroft/Moriarty scene was legit after all, and we'll see it in s4! 

Me too! And Moriarty's wearing the Belstaff in that scene. Trophy? What did they do to Sherlock???!!!

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

April 20, 2015 2:55 pm  #14

I wondered where this Mycroft straightening the knocker came from in the first place - as far as I remember the knocker was never askew in the first two seasons! Everybody seemed to be perfectly happy with it hanging straight.

April 20, 2015 5:00 pm  #15

Kittyhawk wrote:

I wondered where this Mycroft straightening the knocker came from in the first place - as far as I remember the knocker was never askew in the first two seasons! Everybody seemed to be perfectly happy with it hanging straight.

Well, it's about the only thing hanging straight in the whole damn show.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 20, 2015 5:14 pm  #16

... and they dismissed it 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 20, 2015 5:17 pm  #17

Harriet wrote:

... and they dismissed it

Just saying........................................

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 20, 2015 5:21 pm  #18

So there's nothing straight left now.

(And I know, time to get back to topic again  )

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 20, 2015 5:31 pm  #19

TOPIC

Big Knockers!

*runs away giggling madly*

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 21, 2015 4:27 am  #20

I love this forum.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

Board footera