BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 15, 2014 9:21 am  #21

Re: Sherlock and Mary

Whisky: Interesting thoughts. I think for her it must have been a disaster when Sherlock returned. She has a past she wants to hide at all cost and then her fiance's best friend returns who is one of the cleverest men in England and a consulting detective. So she does what is best - trying to get in with him by offering to reconcile them. She is a clever woman and must have realised how badly Sherlock wants John to forgive him and continue their friendship. 

Last edited by SusiGo (August 15, 2014 9:21 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 15, 2014 9:35 am  #22

I'm sure she knew the second that Sherlock appeared at their table that it's far better to be on the same side with him and make friends with him than to have him against her. The best strategy, at least for the time being, certainly was to bring them back together, to be supportive of their friendship and to become friends with Sherlock herself. That being said, I don't believe for one second that she wasn't aware of the danger Sherlock might eventually cause for her. She certainly knew that he was the one person who could find out about her past - and maybe Mycroft, she certainly knew about him, too.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 15, 2014 9:37 am  #23

Whisky wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

And in HLV she starts by pointing out to John that there are people who do not know Sherlock, i.e. who are not a crazy about him as he is.

I wonder about that. That maybe, in the long run, Mary will try to steer John away from Sherlock. She doesn't seem the kind of person who shares easily.

I'm pretty sure she might be jealous. If John dreams about Sherlock he might also talk a lot about him.
I also think she might be lying to Sherlock at the wedding when she's telling him that John's talking about Sholto all the time. I actually don't think he does.

So why is Mary so nice to Sherlock when he's apparently in her way?

Now I have an experience I can share with you. 
My husband was still very good friends with his ex-lover (who lived some hours away) when I met him. I noticed quite quickly that he wasn't interested in her anymore, but she still in him. He didn't have any idea, apparently. Men! *rolls eyes* 
I didn't like that, as you can imagine, and therefore I didn't like her very much, either.
As they still were in contact by phone at that time, and we were right at the beginning, the worst mistake I could have made would've been talking bad about her to him. Because I thought that could've kind of driven him away from me, back to her, as I would've been the "bad one". And he would've probably started lying to me or talking to her secretly. (Heavens, my English... is this understandable?)
So I "played" the nice and understanding one and simply let time work for me. And here and there I cautiously expressed my "doubts" in her wanting just a friendship. 
Later at one point she really admitted wanting him back. ^^ And he told me!

End of story: After we bought a house and moved in together she finally stopped calling him. Some years later he asked me to marry him. 

So maybe this is what Mary does.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 15, 2014 9:39 am  #24

Yes, I understand you very well. Yes, I am happy that it turned out like that for you because this is the way it should be. Yes, this is probably what Mary does. But no, I do not want it to end the way it did for you. 

Last edited by SusiGo (August 15, 2014 9:41 am)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 15, 2014 9:44 am  #25

Hm.... that would be..... Mary marrying Sherlock?
No, wait..
It would be Mary being nice to Sherlock although he's in her way to John.
John thinks she likes Sherlock and marries Mary.
That's the way it went, right?

OH! .... but then there would be no contact between John and Sherlock anymore! Now I got it!! 
No, it's not what we want. 

August 15, 2014 2:32 pm  #26

I still think you're all discounting the fact that Mary was heavily programmed to behave in the way she did. Shooting Sherlock, trying to silence him, and threatening to shoot him again were all part of her conditioning. This is how it was drilled into her that you deal with threats.

I think that Sherlock realised this and started to break through that conditioning to reach the person behind the killing machine. He loves that person and thinks she's worth saving.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

August 15, 2014 2:49 pm  #27

You say she was programmed as if she had somehow been forced to become an assassin. We have no proof of the fact that she did not choose this "career" of her own free will. We do not know what made her end it but it is a fact that after five years she "relapsed" and shot the man who had tried to be her friend and is her husband's best friend. 

I wonder who the person behind the killing machine may be? And if there really is another person at all? I have thought about Mary long and hard and watched the episodes time and again and I do not feel any pity for her. I can empathise with most characters but she had the chance of building a new life, she had a loving husband and his friend who had already done so many things for them and yet in the first moment of crisis she shoots Sherlock. Sorry, but for me this is inexcusable. Not once does she say sorry (only before she shoots him, thank you very much), not once does she tell John she loves him. 

August 15, 2014 3:06 pm  #28

She 'relapsed' when she was threatened, her cover was blown. I bet this has happened before, probably more than once. I'm not saying that Mary's behaviour is acceptable, but I understand it. I really don't think we can judge her by our standards because she comes from a world that few, if any, of us know anything about. At this point, I don't have enough data on her to conclusively say that Mary shot Sherlock because she's a bad person deep down versus Mary shot Sherlock because her programming is stronger than her emotions.

Mary

August 15, 2014 3:07 pm  #29

If she did what she did because she has been "programmed", does that make her a better person? 

August 15, 2014 3:08 pm  #30

This is what I was thinking about, too. It may explain her way of acting without excusing it. 

August 15, 2014 4:03 pm  #31

It doesn't make her a 'better' or 'worse' person. All I'm saying is that I think she was acting instinctually, not emotionally. How she reached her decision to shoot Sherlock is completely divorced from her feelings for him.

Think of it as a soldier who has been taught to shoot the enemy on site, even if it's a sibling. Would that soldier in his/her ordinary life have killed people? No. But context and programming has changed the soldier's moral compass. I see Mary as back on the battlefield and reacting in a similar way. The person she was once upon a time, the mysterious 'A.G.R.A.', is trying to resurface, but the soldier is back at work.

And remember, Mary was trained by the government, so her work was sanctioned, no different than being in the military, with a chain of command and no personal responsibility or question of ethics within a set code of conduct specific to her job description.

We really can't judge her fairly and it's much too easy to say that she's a bad person who makes bad decisions when she is so much more complex.

Mary

August 15, 2014 4:17 pm  #32

maryagrawatson wrote:

We really can't judge her fairly and it's much too easy to say that she's a bad person who makes bad decisions when she is so much more complex.

Mary

Laws are the same for all of us. Or is there a different law for assassins in Britain? Mitigating circumstances for pitiful killers with complex personalities?

Last edited by tobeornot221b (August 15, 2014 4:38 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 15, 2014 4:29 pm  #33

Tee Hee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 15, 2014 4:44 pm  #34

tobeornot221b wrote:

Laws are the same for all of us. Or is there a different law for assassins in Britain? Mitigating circumstances for pitiful killers with complex personalities?

We're not talking about the law here. But if we were, I'd say that a decent defense attorney could build a solid case for not guilty by reason of diminished mental capacity based on her government-sanctioned programming.

And of course, anything she did for the government, like those 'wet jobs for the CIA', were perfectly legal.

Mary

August 15, 2014 4:48 pm  #35

maryagrawatson wrote:

And of course, anything she did for the government, like those 'wet jobs for the CIA', were perfectly legal.

Mary

I see. But in private life she has to keep a low profile. No excuses. No little extra. Murder is inexcusable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 15, 2014 4:49 pm  #36

Sherlock is a murderer, too!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 15, 2014 4:54 pm  #37

besleybean wrote:

Sherlock is a murderer, too!

So was the woman who killed Milverton. Unfortunately we don't know how she lived with her guilt. ACD however, seemed not to be interested in this matter.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 15, 2014 5:02 pm  #38

And John's a murderer, too.

Anyway, I've said my piece about Mary and I can't wait to see what's done with her in the one-off special and possibly series 4. I think she's going to die the special...

Mary

August 15, 2014 5:06 pm  #39

And Merry Chrtismas, to you, too.
Ha.

August 15, 2014 5:11 pm  #40

maryagrawatson wrote:

And John's a murderer, too.

Mary

Yes, Sherlock and John. Murderer.
Only Mary is off the hook.
Due to her complex personality. I get this.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

Board footera