BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 13, 2014 7:28 pm  #1

R.I.P. Robin Williams

He was a hilarious man. I grew up with seeing him in movies, my favorite was "Good Morning Vietnam". I also I grew up with the film "Hook", so whenever I think of Peter Pan I think of him. Also, when he did stand-up he made me laugh endlessly. He was one of the funniest comedians ever. Truly a legend.

So what was your impression Williams? Do have any favorite films that he was in?

Last edited by BrettHolmes (August 18, 2014 3:00 pm)

August 13, 2014 9:24 pm  #2

Re: R.I.P. Robin Williams

I grew up with Mork and Mindy, which makes me feel old!  I actually preferred his straight acting in lots of films, and thought he was very good in some less popular films like The Night LIstener.  It's very sad.

August 13, 2014 10:56 pm  #3

For me he will be My Captain. Because of him and The Death Potes Society i discovered the great english and american poetry. 

August 14, 2014 4:50 am  #4

I, too, 'grew up' with Hook, Jumanji, and Mrs. Doubtfire.  He was so, so infectious.    Didn't realize his dramatic side/see the more famous serious films of his until a bit later (and were just as striking), and despite knowing of it's popularity, sorry to say I never got around to 'Vietnam' or 'What Dreams May Come'.  Think I should, now.  So sad how many there are out there who are struggling inside, yet just want to make others laugh… hearing lots of stories in the news now from other people in the business who talk about Robin doing things to cheer them up when they were in a rough spot. 

Oh, and to also add --  even though it was just 'voice', couldn't help having Aladdin fondly in head today, too.  One of favorite Disney films, and one of tiny few I remember actually knowing /who/ voiced some of the characters - either due to how much of a favorite it was and looking up, or reading about in articles (since when you're young, you often don't pay attention to those details).  Plus he struck me in particular, knowing it was him and seeing that zaniness come through so strongly in the Genie, and how they even style characters after it's actor.  Thought that was so cool, and so perfect for the part, especially after reading an anecdote about it's creation.  Apparently the Genie was going to be more toned down/stylized, and Robin came to brainstorm with the animators.  At one point, one of the workers bursts out of the room, alarmed, and exclaimed to someone else 'you won't believe what they're creating in there!'      Sounds just like him… and love that they put in all the craziness, and so much of his comedic improv (he actually improvised so much they had almost 16 hours of material!).

Man… thinking about it, now I should probably also watch his stand-up too, huh?    Thanks for bringing that memory to mind again...

Last edited by Russell (August 14, 2014 5:53 am)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

August 14, 2014 7:29 am  #5

It just goes to show that people with real issues aren't in the media all the time with their issues. Unlike modern pop stars, Robin Williams didn't voice his issues in public. That's why his death is all the more shocking because it was unexpected.

Amazing that he was the life of the party & made everybody else happy (but himself). And of course the media is trying to cash in with Time magazine publishing a commemorative special edition.

I love that aabout the media. When you're alive no one wants to know about you but the minute you die, you suddenly become ratings gold & everyone wants to do a story about you.

To me, he will always be Hook & Keating & Maguire.

August 14, 2014 7:44 am  #6

My favourite will always be his John Keating. This film inspired and helped me years ago to follow a career that seemed precarious at the best of times. And now I am deliberately not following the example's of Neil's father by telling my own daughter to study something "solid and sensible". Because the film not only shows us how teachers should be but how also how parents should not be. 

Last edited by SusiGo (August 14, 2014 7:46 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 14, 2014 12:21 pm  #7

He was such a brilliant artist.  Comedy or drama, he brought a lot of joy in my life.

I mentioned this on FB so some of you have heard it but I'd like to repeat it.

Years ago my husband and I were going through some depression.  Just having a bad time of it.  One night we saw that Robin Williams latest stand up show was playing on HBO and thought that might make us feel better. 
Feel better?  An hour later we were limp with laughter.  Posatively breathless.  To this day we will quote our favortie lines from that special at each other but I couldn't tell you what we were depressed about at the time.   For just a bit Robin made the sadness go away. 

I only wish someone could've made his own sadness go away.  All the pain hidden by the humour.

Thank you Robin, for sharing your gifts with us.  You will be horribly missed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 14, 2014 1:52 pm  #8

Robin Williams feels like such a big part of my childhood... he has always been able to make me laugh even before I spoke a word of English.

My favourite is Patch Adams, he had such a big heart when it came to his characters no matter what he played. An amazing comic talent too... but he also mastered the deeper things.

I rewatched Goodmorning, Vietnam last night and I was smiling, laughing and giggling again... 

We lost a great man!

In Danish we say about a person that they "Put colour on the world" and I really feel the world has become a lot less colourful now... It's so horrible that a man who's cheered up so many people had to go that way. 

Thank you for everything, Robin Williams. I hope you found peace at least. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 14, 2014 2:23 pm  #9

In Danish we say about a person that they "Put colour on the world"

What a beautiful expression!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 14, 2014 4:14 pm  #10

Another member of the Dead Poets society checking in!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 14, 2014 4:27 pm  #11

I liked him best when he did not overdo the comics. There it showed that he could do complex characters like Dead poems society and Good will hunting. And I still shiver at One hour photo, what a mean little villain!

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 14, 2014 4:29 pm  #12

I adore Hook, too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 15, 2014 8:34 pm  #13

Last Word on BBC Radio 4, for those who can get it on iplayer, had a really great obituary to Robin Williams. They interviewed people who saw him perform his riffed stand up comedy here in the UK. I first saw him in Mork and Mindy a lifetime ago. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 15, 2014 8:35 pm  #14

I was very late to the party...but I've seen(and loved) loads of his films and stand up shows.

August 16, 2014 11:08 pm  #15

RIP, Robin. I pray for comfort and peace for your loved ones at this very difficult time.

October 30, 2014 2:31 pm  #16

RIP Robin Williams.

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

Board footera