BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 3, 2014 5:48 pm  #181

Re: Some things that are puzzling me

Fact is he died, he flatlined and did the impossible because this is a TV show.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

September 3, 2014 6:16 pm  #182

Of course.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 3, 2014 6:17 pm  #183

besleybean wrote:

Of course.

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

September 3, 2014 6:28 pm  #184

besleybean wrote:

Well the fact is:
he survived and lived to fight another day.

He did indeed survive but there's also a reason you can be charged with "attempted murder."

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 3, 2014 6:32 pm  #185

I'm going to have difficulty "swallowing it" too, unless they add in some further explanation.  How are we supposed to believe that a shot designed to be safe and not kill him, virtually killed him?   We're all trying to come up with explanations for how that might be, but we need an explanation from the writers: to have Sherlock or Mary or someone explain what went wrong. 

Sherlock says that Mary saved his life by calling an ambulance, and that the ambulances, on average, take 8 minutes to arrive.  Well, that's an average.  Sometimes they'd take a lot longer.  If she wanted Sherlock to live, how could she leave him bleeding out and dying, and taking a chance on the ambulance speed?   She's a nurse.  It looks as if she left him to die.

How could Sherlock know that Mary phoned the ambulance?  Why not Magnusson?  Magnusson would have to let the paramedics in. 

And also, Mary doesn't give any of this story.  Sherlock does.  Actually Sherlock says everything, and Mary just listens.  At no point does she volunteer information, apart from the memory stick.  She hardly even confirms what Sherlock says - only that she is a killer and that that's why John fell for her.  She doesn't have any input in the story about "saving" Sherlock.  Sherlock is providing her alibi, for some reason, and because she doesn't confirm or elaborate, it sounds as if he's making it up and she plays along. 

September 3, 2014 6:41 pm  #186

Agree 100%

September 3, 2014 6:41 pm  #187

Sherlock is an actual murderer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 3, 2014 6:43 pm  #188

Yes he is, alas. But that's a different problem, isn't it?

September 3, 2014 7:18 pm  #189

mrshouse wrote:

Snootie, this was not about a job she had to deliver for her government and the sake of her country. And one could consider that bad enough. She shoot for her very own sake, an unarmed men who had just offered to help her sorting her butt out of the trouble. I very much see the point here.

She was finally acting for her own sake instead of the govt or some other entity. She was trying to make sure that Sherlock wouldn't  tell John bc she didn't want to lose him. Someone from a life a violence would probably see that as an acceptable way to deal with a situation like that. I want my 'normal' life, and no one will take it from me.

And in a show that is essentially about murder, it seems like splitting hairs to have a problem with a named character being a criminal more than a nameless character. The show is about crime and violence and John and Sherlock's addictions to such things.  And I think it's assumed that the audience doesn't have a problem with such things either. Or we wouldn't watch it.

This is fanciful tv after all.

September 3, 2014 7:26 pm  #190

Sorry to be a pain, but because she acted for her own sake makes it morally acceptable? I have trouble with that one. And tbh I don't get the point with splitting named and nameless characters at all. Moriarty is very certain a name and I loved how he was written and played out.

September 3, 2014 7:26 pm  #191

Liberty wrote:

I'm going to have difficulty "swallowing it" too, unless they add in some further explanation.  How are we supposed to believe that a shot designed to be safe and not kill him, virtually killed him?   We're all trying to come up with explanations for how that might be, but we need an explanation from the writers: to have Sherlock or Mary or someone explain what went wrong. . 

Maybe we're looking at it from the wrong side. Maybe the whole thing was more about showing how powerful Sherlock's brain is. He's able to overcome his shock and pain and battle back to life. After his Moriarty tells him he's letting John down. When he thinks about letting John down again, he gets up and claws back to life.

Maybe this was all a device to show their connection and devotion to each other above and beyond anyone else. That's what Series three is about too. Sherlock growing into a more adult human being and their renewed and deepened friendship as a result.

Mary's presence in the story could just be a catalyst for their reaffirmed friendship after Sherlock's two-year absence.

September 3, 2014 7:59 pm  #192

The point is: the shot was meant to be survived, otherwise she'd shot him in the head. That was explained quite clearly. 

There are many more things in Sherlock that wouldn't work in the real world. Within the limited Sherlock world logic, the explanation makes perfect sense. 

September 3, 2014 8:23 pm  #193

silverblaze wrote:

The point is: the shot was meant to be survived, otherwise she'd shot him in the head. That was explained quite clearly. 

There are many more things in Sherlock that wouldn't work in the real world. Within the limited Sherlock world logic, the explanation makes perfect sense. 

I agree with you. It's a violent world in which they live.

September 3, 2014 8:25 pm  #194

mrshouse wrote:

Sorry to be a pain, but because she acted for her own sake makes it morally acceptable? I have trouble with that one. And tbh I don't get the point with splitting named and nameless characters at all. Moriarty is very certain a name and I loved how he was written and played out.

I don't know about morally acceptable. I know about character motivation. I'm looking at it from the perspective of why did the character do what she di?. She did it bc she was desperate. Kind of why anyone kills (unless they're a psychopath).

September 3, 2014 9:16 pm  #195

Yes, no head shot, and I think that has to be significant because of the head shot at the end of HLV.  But it also has to be weighed up against the other shot that did virtually kill him.    What I feel (no evidence) is that she couldn't quite bring herself to destroy his brain.  However, she still took a shot that was likely to kill him - we know that because his heart stopped.   We could easily have been shown something different - what Sherlock claimed Mary had planned - him being temporarily incapacitated, but never close to death.   A choice was made to have him "die", maybe just for dramatic effect, but it makes the story false. 

I do agree that Mary was cornered and didn't have many options.  But I wonder what would have happened if she'd just waited for John?  Or even just talked to Sherlock for a couple of minutes (she didn't know how long she had - it turned out to be 5 minutes).  She could either have threatened or persuaded.  Sherlock hardly ever tells John anything anyway, and maybe if Mary hadn't shown herself to be so dangerous they could have worked something out.  Or, perhaps she could just have made a run for it before Sherlock saw her face. 

Snootiegirl, I think Sherlock is devoted to John, but the connection is lacking.  Do you mean that they need Mary to bring them together?  I suppose she does, in an odd way. 

September 3, 2014 9:30 pm  #196

Snootiegirl99 wrote:

And in a show that is essentially about murder, it seems like splitting hairs to have a problem with a named character being a criminal more than a nameless character. The show is about crime and violence and John and Sherlock's addictions to such things. And I think it's assumed that the audience doesn't have a problem with such things either. Or we wouldn't watch it.

We may not have problems watching Sherlock and John deal with murderers and criminals, but welcoming a criminal that nearly killed off one of the protagonists and badly betrayed the other back into their "circle of trust" is a whole different story..

I might buy that Mary shot because she was desperate, and because that´s what her trained assassin reflexes told her to do. But I don´t buy that she never even once tried to explain herself when she had the chance afterwards, instead she went after Sherlock with a gun, ready to finish him off for good in Leinster Gardens. If Sherlock hadn´t took the precaution of her picture on the facade it´d have been the end of him.

September 3, 2014 11:48 pm  #197

Liberty wrote:

Snootiegirl, I think Sherlock is devoted to John, but the connection is lacking.  Do you mean that they need Mary to bring them together?  I suppose she does, in an odd way. 

Yes, I think I do actually. The writers are following the original stories--I will give a nod to that. But after Sherlock faked his death, I think that he needed a serious competitor for John's attention. He always won before, against every girlfriend. But not Mary. She withstood him, and she even liked him.

But she took John away from him too. Or did she? We don't really know why John hadn't seen Sherlock in a month since the wedding. Was it his choice? Was it Mary's? Unclear. Or perhaps Sherlock had stayed away himself?

The competition for John's attention forces Sherlock to work harder to keep him. That's part of his humanizing.

Last edited by Snootiegirl99 (September 3, 2014 11:55 pm)

September 3, 2014 11:54 pm  #198

Zatoichi wrote:

Snootiegirl99 wrote:

And in a show that is essentially about murder, it seems like splitting hairs to have a problem with a named character being a criminal more than a nameless character. The show is about crime and violence and John and Sherlock's addictions to such things. And I think it's assumed that the audience doesn't have a problem with such things either. Or we wouldn't watch it.

We may not have problems watching Sherlock and John deal with murderers and criminals, but welcoming a criminal that nearly killed off one of the protagonists and badly betrayed the other back into their "circle of trust" is a whole different story..

I might buy that Mary shot because she was desperate, and because that´s what her trained assassin reflexes told her to do. But I don´t buy that she never even once tried to explain herself when she had the chance afterwards, instead she went after Sherlock with a gun, ready to finish him off for good in Leinster Gardens. If Sherlock hadn´t took the precaution of her picture on the facade it´d have been the end of him.

Maybe. I didn't think she was going to try to kill him at Leinster Gardens. Would have been easier to smother him in the hospital. I think she brought the gun to threaten him and to protect herself. Magnussen might have had people out looking for her.

I'm curious about the 'explanation' idea that a few of you have expressed. Why should she offer any explanations or information? John decided on his own that he didn't want it. Maybe she was hoping he wouldn't.

Last edited by Snootiegirl99 (September 4, 2014 12:02 am)

September 4, 2014 5:44 am  #199

I'm not entrely sure what you mean.
If anything, Sherlock's love for John grows.
Do you think John had been distracted by Mary?

September 4, 2014 6:06 am  #200

I think an explanation is needed for the shooting, for a start.  Sherlock says she shot to incapacitate, but as he essentially died, that's not what happened.  Was it a misjudgment, a mistake, a difference in anatomy?  We're not told, and Mary doesn't even confirm that story. 

As for the rest, Mary asks Sherlock what he knows, and that's what we hear (although it's always possible that Sherlock knows more than he's letting on).   She doesn't elaborate on anything, such as what she's on the run from, why she was working with John, why she wanted that flashy wedding (while supposedly in hiding), etc.  There was a chance to give some sort of explanation at 221B, but she sticks strictly to what Sherlock says.  (Doesn't it seem odd that she has the memory stick prepared?  Somebody who was so keen to erase their past life, has that in their pocket ready to hand over, without even a password? And her initials on it?)

Yes, she does seem to bring them together, to push them together, even.  I think that initially it seems as if she's being thoughtful and genuinely likes Sherlock.  In the light of what we know later, it seems more sinister.   Magnusson kind of brings them together too, by putting John at risk - and it turns out that Magnusson benefits from Sherlock and John being close because of the extra leverage (John is Sherlock's pressure point).    It also establishes that anyone trying to get to Sherlock can go through John, which is one thing Moriarty did too, and it possibly looks as if Mary is doing. 

I didn't mean this to be another Mary thread, but it's important to my understanding of these scenes in TSOT.  Sherlock seems to miss huge clues about Mary that are staring him right in the face.   Or does he?   Or are both he and Mary going for Magnusson through TSOT - both are doing something very public and there's a deliberate change in Sherlock's public persona, both are courting Janine, etc.  - but don't pick up on each other?

Board footera