BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 7, 2014 11:07 pm  #1

Has Donovan’s opinion of Sherlock changed?

We now know that Anderson “believes in Sherlock Holmes,” but has her opinion of Sherlock changed ever since his return? Is she still going to call him a “freak” or will she give him the credit he deserves?

Personally, I think her dislike for Sherlock is all about jealousy. Maybe she believes that only she and Lestrade should work together as the ultimate crime fighting team and thinks that Sherlock stands in the way of that. So thus, she doesn't welcome his help.

August 7, 2014 11:34 pm  #2

Re: Has Donovan’s opinion of Sherlock changed?

This is another scene I wish we had gotten in series 3, one between Donovan and Sherlock. Unfortunately, Vinette Robinson was off filming in America and wasn't available for this series. That actually fits in with my head canon, that Donovan is no longer a police officer and has left London.

I can't see her apologizing to Sherlock for her role in the Fall, not outright. I see it more as them meeting up again, him snidely saying "Sally," and her calling him Sherlock rather than freak.

There are a couple of really good metas about Donovan and her reasons for disliking Sherlock that, it's much more to do with his lack of professionalism and mucking about crime scenes than her being jealous of him. Here's the main one, it links to the others:

In Defense of Sally Donovan

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

August 8, 2014 5:56 am  #3

BrettHolmes wrote:

Personally, I think her dislike for Sherlock is all about jealousy. Maybe she believes that only she and Lestrade should work together as the ultimate crime fighting team and thinks that Sherlock stands in the way of that. So thus, she doesn't welcome his help.

If that is true, she will surely not like him better now that Lestrade has abandoned her at a crucial point of their career to help Sherlock write his best man's speech.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 8, 2014 8:15 pm  #4

I don't know if it's all jealousy (although I'm sure there's some there).  I think she genuinely believes Sherlock is dangerous (and does have some reason to believe that).  TRF confirms for her that he's dangerous.   Even after he's exonorated, she only knows that he didn't set up those crimes ... she still can't be sure that he won't do it one day. 

So I don't know: maybe she goes back to feeling the same way about him as she did in Series 1.  Or maybe, getting it wrong changes her view of him altogether?   I'm not sure exactly how much she would know about what happened and why he did it.  If she doesn't know his reasons for faking his suicide, then she might still think he's dangerous. 

August 10, 2014 12:18 pm  #5

maryagrawatson wrote:

This is another scene I wish we had gotten in series 3, one between Donovan and Sherlock. Unfortunately, Vinette Robinson was off filming in America and wasn't available for this series. That actually fits in with my head canon, that Donovan is no longer a police officer and has left London.

I can't see her apologizing to Sherlock for her role in the Fall, not outright. I see it more as them meeting up again, him snidely saying "Sally," and her calling him Sherlock rather than freak.

There are a couple of really good metas about Donovan and her reasons for disliking Sherlock that, it's much more to do with his lack of professionalism and mucking about crime scenes than her being jealous of him. Here's the main one, it links to the others:

In Defense of Sally Donovan

Mary

Donovan still is a police officer though, because her and Lestrade were seen working together on the serial robbery case - the one that was purley a set up to get the best man gag right at the end in the pre credit sequence of TSOT.

It shows that she's at least still on the scene and it gave a small amount of insight as to how she feels about Sherlock. At the moment when they're about to bust the gang and Lestrade is receiving all the text messages from Sherlock, she says "it's him, isn't it?" She doesn't say his name, just refers to him as 'him', and it's quite clear from her tone and surprise when he announces he's going that she really doesn't want Lestrade to leave. She thinks he should stay with her and finish off the job rather than run round after Sherlock.

Although she probably felt guilt over the fact that he killed himself, and felt like a bit of an idiot when it was announced that he was right all along and that Moriarty had played her for a fool, her overall opinion of Sherlock Holmes in general still hasn't changed. At least, that's the impresion I got from that one small scene.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 10, 2014 6:27 pm  #6

We really haven't seen enough of Sally Donovan in season 3 (shame, I really liked both her character and her narrative function, because if noone would ever stand up to him, Sherlock would just steam-roll through his cases and that would get boring...) anyway where was I?

Well, yes, we haven't really seen much of her lately, but in that short pre-credit episode in TSOT, I got the impression that she wasn't angry at her boss for leaving her at the crucial moment because she was worried that it would go wrong or that she couldn't handle it - they all seemed very confident, marching towards that arrest as if it was a sure thing. She rather seemed angry at Greg for throwing away an opportunity to be in the limelight and really enjoy a great professional triumph. So she wasn't worried about herself in that scene, she was worried about the reputation of the force in general (or her unit, at least) and Greg in particular.

She certainly still doesn't like Greg shaving for Sherlock Holmes, as John would put it. Whether that is now due solely to her respect for Greg (who's certainly an above-average, very able police officer himself, even without Sherlock's help) or whether it is (also) due to a continued dislike of Sherlock's person is hard to tell. We certainly don't hear her making any snide comments about him any more, but then we only have a total of maybe 60 seconds of screentime to go on...

I think even if she had all the information, all the truth about Moriarty and the faked suicide, she'd still be entitled to 1. find Sherlock creepy and disquieting in so many ways and 2. be annoyed at his highly irregular way of "interfering" with the regular force's work (and with Greg allowing him to) simply because it is irregular.

But as someone else on this board has pointed out before (sorry, can't remember who and where) she's sort of hit a dead end by now unless either her attitude towards Sherlock or his towards her (or both) change dramatically. There was an arc in their relationship over the course of seasons 1 & 2, culminating in TRF (I loved the way they picked up all these little things from ASIP in TRF, like John and Sally's first ever conversation about Sherlock), but by the end of TRF DS Donovan had reached the end of her narrative usefulness. I can't think where they might be going with her now. I just feel that it would be as much of a shame if she were to quietly drop out of the picture now as it would be to have her join the faceless ranks of Sherlock's already too numerous loyal admirers.

I would love to see her and Sherlock come face to face one more time after TRF. If it's already happened offscreen, it's a shame we never saw it. But then the makers of this series are not afraid of flashbacks and flash-forwards, so we still may. Other than that - fanfic, anyone?

Last edited by La Jolie (August 10, 2014 6:35 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

August 10, 2014 6:37 pm  #7

What do you mean it happened off screen?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 10, 2014 7:08 pm  #8

besleybean wrote:

What do you mean it happened off screen?

Just that maybe Sherlock and Sally Donovan did come face to face again some time during the timeline of series 3, just that it was an occasion or a context that was unrelated to the storyline of either of the three episodes, so it wasn't filmed.

August 10, 2014 7:09 pm  #9

I don't see why they should have.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 11, 2014 7:14 pm  #10

Maybe Sherlock worked on some more Scotland Yard cases with Greg between TEH and TSOT and met Sally again that way?

August 11, 2014 7:18 pm  #11

Why would we think this?

August 29, 2014 8:14 pm  #12

OK, dragging this up again.

I've written it myself.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10655393/1/Heading-for-a-Fall

Enjoy!

August 29, 2014 9:40 pm  #13

La Jolie wrote:

OK, dragging this up again.

I've written it myself.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10655393/1/Heading-for-a-Fall

Enjoy!

La Jolie,   so beautifully written,   descriptive and funny!     nicely done. 

August 31, 2014 8:31 pm  #14

Thank you, Carl, I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

And thank you for finding it funny - I wasn't quite sure whether there could be anything funny about a man in a long dark coat stalking an overworked, stressed out woman whose mother is dying of cancer. I'm glad it worked for you.

Last edited by La Jolie (August 31, 2014 8:32 pm)

Board footera