BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 4, 2014 8:10 pm  #41

Re: Sherlock: Fending for Himself

The stories I could share about that guy would feed a hundred Sherlock fic writers. Heck, they'd be good fodder for Moftiss' future screenplays! Let's just say that I got rather used to coming into the kitchen to find my darling blow torching something bizarre... And it wasn't human body parts in the fridge, but he thought it was perfectly fine to keep his taxidermy projects in there next to the cheese.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

August 4, 2014 8:15 pm  #42

maryagrawatson wrote:

The stories I could share about that guy would feed a hundred Sherlock fic writers. Heck, they'd be good fodder for Moftiss' future screenplays! Let's just say that I got rather used to coming into the kitchen to find my darling blow torching something bizarre... And it wasn't human body parts in the fridge, but he thought it was perfectly fine to keep his taxidermy projects in there next to the cheese.

Mary

You lucky sod. Are you two still together? 

August 4, 2014 8:32 pm  #43

BreathingIsBoring wrote:

We split up about eight years ago. Still friends, though.

Mary

August 4, 2014 8:38 pm  #44

maryagrawatson wrote:

BreathingIsBoring wrote:

We split up about eight years ago. Still friends, though.

There's always that. I'd love to have a friend like that. Instead I live with my fictional characters and talk about them with the girls who are just as obsessed as me. 

Back to the topic: I'd love to see Sherlock ironing or folding laundry out of necessity. 

August 4, 2014 9:08 pm  #45

BreathingIsBoring wrote:

I'd love to see Sherlock ironing or folding laundry out of necessity. 

Me, too! I would find it even more hilarious than seeing him drive! I'm pretty sure that's the most 'mundane unSherlocky' thing we've seen him do.

His suits and shirts would get sent out to the drycleaner's, who would also do the pressing. Pants, socks, and pajamas might go a laundry service. But I think it's more likely Mrs. Hudson or maybe John takes care of them. Then again, if he's that anal about the state of his sock drawer, maybe he does do his own laundry. Hmm...

Mary

August 4, 2014 9:15 pm  #46

maryagrawatson wrote:

Then again, if he's that anal about the state of his sock drawer, maybe he does do his own laundry.

He at least takes care of his own socks. Someone find me this infamous Sock Index. Moftiss, give me a scene where, instead of obsessivel folding serviettes, he rearranges his closet or something like that. 

'I think I'll go by gradient, then brand, then length. No, we'll do brand, gradient, length. No, no, wrong, wrong!'

August 4, 2014 9:16 pm  #47

Oh, I thought he went by colour. Silly me. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 4, 2014 9:21 pm  #48

No he rotates them, so they get equal wear.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 4, 2014 9:27 pm  #49

besleybean wrote:

No he rotates them, so they get equal wear.

That... makes a lot of sense. Okay. 

I still think he probably would have it organised in some other way. He can't just own twenty of the exact same pair of black socks. At least, I don't think so. 

August 4, 2014 9:28 pm  #50

Some people do!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 4, 2014 9:35 pm  #51

besleybean wrote:

Some people do!

*raises hand*

Lots of people I know buy the same socks over and over again so they don't have to pair them. But there is the issue of fade with dark colours, so having them sorted by wear could make sense for Sherlock.

I just thought of something from SIB. Remember how he was making a huge mess in his room trying to decide what to wear to meet Irene? His room was neat when he woke up from being drugged. Did he tidy up before leaving or did John do it for him, knowing Sherlock would be annoyed at his room being messy?

Mary

August 4, 2014 9:38 pm  #52

maryagrawatson wrote:

I just thought of something from SIB. Remember how he was making a huge mess in his room trying to decide what to wear to meet Irene? His room was neat when he woke up from being drugged. Did he tidy up before leaving or did John do it for him, knowing Sherlock would be annoyed at his room being messy?

Questions, questions, questions... I'm thinking he probably cleaned up after himself. From what we've seen, Sherlock's bedroom is where everything has a place and everything is in its place, and he'd probably have a fit if it wasn't remedied immediately.

August 5, 2014 1:57 pm  #53

I've really enjoyed reading this thread.

Btw, I'm wrong here. I mean new. *waves*
Very happy to have found the Sherlock forum where <Anderson mode> like-minded people come together and discuss theories </Anderson mode>. I don't mind the occasional fan-girlish squeeeeeeeing, but that's not really what I'm looking for.

Anyway, I should like to add a scene from the not-aired SiP pilot to support Mary's (and others') very sensible opinion that Sherlock is not above certain mundane bodily needs such as eating, drinking, digesting and sleeping.

In the pilot version of the scene in Angelo's restaurant, John asks Sherlock whether he's not having anything to eat (just like in the final version) and Sherlock asks back what day it is, and when John replies "Wednesday" Sherlock just says "no, I'll be alright then". That bit is missing from the final version. As is the continuation of that idea, towards the end of the pilot, when Lestrade wants to keep questioning Sherlock and John intervenes, protesting that Sherlock hasn't eaten "for several days".

I think it's no coincidence that they changed that in the final version! If they'd kept that in, it really would have been too far over top.

Sherlock certainly has this "mind over matter" view of things (and of himself)  - his comment to Molly that digesting slows down his brain is very Sherlocky but then again, who would disagree??? It's a physiological fact, so it doesn't make Sherlock all that special for pointing it out.

There is another line in the SiP pilot along those lines, "The brain is what matters, the rest is transport." But he certainly knows that you've got to keep the transport going, too.

I love to think about him having lots of those little hidden skills (such as cooking), but like he says about dancing in TSOT (to Janine), as long as he doesn't come across a suitable case to employ them in, they will remain hidden. Meaning, of course, that they will remain matter for delightful speculation on the part of us fans, which is a good thing.

Last edited by La Jolie (August 5, 2014 2:00 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

August 5, 2014 2:07 pm  #54

La Jolie wrote:

Anyway, I should like to add a scene from the not-aired SiP 

I am so glad they took that ridiculous bit out about him not eating for days!

digesting slows down his brain is very Sherlocky but then again, who would disagree??? It's a physiological fact, so it doesn't make Sherlock all that special for pointing it out. 

Exactly. I have a sitting down job that requires a lot of mental concentration and can't count the number of times I've refused dinner invitations because I don't want to be slowed down by digestion. Instead of meals, I go for days eating easily digestible snacks when my stomach gets too loud to ignore. I have no trouble believing this is what Sherlock's doing as well. Not all of his cases have him running around doing legwork and requiring a high caloric intake. He often spends ages on his sofa, thinking. No need for lots of food then because he's not expending energy and it would just make him dopey.

There is another line in the SiP pilot along those lines, "The brain is what matters, the rest is transport." But he certainly knows that you've got to keep the transport going, too. 

Ah, I missed that line when I saw the unaired pilot! THAT'S where that line in the bad fan fics comes from!

I love to think about him having lots of those little hidden skills (such as cooking), but like he says about dancing in TSOT (to Janine), as long as he doesn't come across a suitable case to employ them in, they will remain hidden.

Series four: Sherlock undercover as a chef! (Google Benedict Cumberbatch cooking for inspiration. That man knows how to chop onions!)

I was really hoping in HLV that after the Mikey scene, Mummy was going to ask Sherlock to help her with something in the kitchen instead of going to Mary with the tea. Such a lost opportunity!

Mary

Mary

August 5, 2014 2:10 pm  #55

Sherlock has never truly had to fend for himself.
He has Mrs H waiting on him hand and foot.

August 5, 2014 2:59 pm  #56

maryagrawatson wrote:

Series four: Sherlock undercover as a chef! (Google Benedict Cumberbatch cooking for inspiration. That man knows how to chop onions!)

Never mind the onions, I just love that he mentions handwashing!  I can't bear the lack of handwashing on TV cooking shows!

August 5, 2014 3:09 pm  #57

Liberty wrote:

Never mind the onions, I just love that he mentions handwashing!  I can't bear the lack of handwashing on TV cooking shows!

Favourite moment: Ben carries the drippy tomatoes halfway across the set, drops them in the pan, and stands there staring at his tomato-soaked hands not sure what to do with them. No one offers him a cloth. Never fails to crack me up!

As for Sherlock and Mrs. Hudson, it's inaccurate to say he's never had to do anything for himself because she waits hand and foot on him since he only moved into 221B at the start of series 1 and therefore didn't have her at his Montague Street and other previous lodgings.

Mary

August 5, 2014 3:13 pm  #58

I believe Sherlock may have been a bit of a mess at previous lodgings.

August 5, 2014 3:28 pm  #59

besleybean wrote:

I believe Sherlock may have been a bit of a mess at previous lodgings.

You and me both! I think lots of takeaway, too. When I lived in the city, I ate out a lot. Saved me from the tedious cycle of shopping for food, meal planning, meal making, and then washing up. I can't believe that his previous flats were complete and utter filthy tips, not with the way he keeps his bedroom, but I suspect he was the kind of person who doesn't do the washing up until he absolutely can't get around it anymore.

Mary

August 5, 2014 5:16 pm  #60

maryagrawatson wrote:

You and me both! I think lots of takeaway, too. When I lived in the city, I ate out a lot. Saved me from the tedious cycle of shopping for food, meal planning, meal making, and then washing up. I can't believe that his previous flats were complete and utter filthy tips, not with the way he keeps his bedroom, but I suspect he was the kind of person who doesn't do the washing up until he absolutely can't get around it anymore.

I have a theory that he got kicked out of his Montague St flat because the landlord/lady caught him brewing scary-looking chemical experiments and waving a blowtorch around. Most people aren't as tolerant as Mrs. H (but we know that already), so if he was doing something ridiculous like writing on walls or creating minor and controlled explosions, I could understand the need to evict him. That's all headcanon, of course. 

Board footera