BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 29, 2014 3:11 am  #1

Religious Scientists

This forum has a high number of people who work in science based industries (e.g. medicine, research, technology, etc...)

I wanted to ask you guys, how do you reconcile what you know to be true from your work/industry with what the book/church tells you?

This is not an anti-religion post; just curious coz I am areligious (different to atheist) I don't have to face this dilemma.

But I know that many scientists are religious, including the famous ones (llike Newton).

It seems that for many scientists, their work does not impact on their beliefs at all. If they were areligious prior to working in the sciences, they continue to be areligious after. If they were religious prior to their work, they're still religious at the end of their work.

Is it coz your able to compartmentalise? Do you treat the two as separate entities and leave it at that? What has been your experience with science & religion/philosophy?

July 29, 2014 10:54 pm  #2

Re: Religious Scientists

I used to be a very religious child, I believed fully in the good word of the bible as a protestant Christian. The 10 Comandments was what I lived after... and what shaped my morals today. (My mother was never religious at all, I just chose to believe in what I heard at school and in church). 

I left my faith at 13 because of things that happened in my life... and I realized God didn't have my back. I stopped believing in a God who controlled your life and decided who was good or bad.

I became a bit of an agnostic after that. I've always been interested in science and especially astronomy and astrophysics. I decided that maybe a God didn't create every leaf on every tree but maybe he lit the very first spark of The Big Bang.

I was watching a science documentary with Steven Hawking the other night (narrated by none other than Benedict) asking the very question 'Did God Create The Universe'. One of the theories was that since basically the laws of the universe meant that everything added up to nothing, nothing started the big bang... 

Right now I don't really believe in a higher power ruling over our life, or having had some master plan from the start. And I think an interest in both science and medicine has cemented that for me. 

I still have a HUGE respect for people of faith. I think it's admirable and I know it gave me something to hold on through my weird childhood and it was nice to think that praying for my bird as she was sick in my hands saved her... I think religion is important and I would never take it away from anyone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

July 30, 2014 12:55 am  #3

Re: Religious Scientists

My faith (not Judeo-Christian) is not in conflict with science. It complements it, fills in the gaps science can't or won't answer. I could not have one without the other.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

Board footera