BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 5, 2014 10:15 pm  #61

Re: Jeremy Brett Picture Thread

"The whole series was a hugely happy occasion. Two wonderful producers, Michael Cox and June Wyndham-Davies, who were wonderfully knowledgeable about the stories. Lovely casts of people, these people were thrilled to be in it, they were *thrilled* to be in it. I made lifelong friends of a number of people I see frequently. And, as I say, dominated by Jeremy; hugely generous, wonderfully eccentric. But it was a very, very happy time and he's deeply and sadly missed. I mean, I miss him . . . he was an extraordinary man and a *great* loss and sadly, I feel, not honored enough for what he did; he didn't get any gongs for that performance. And it will be remembered, I'm sure, because I think he was an extraordinary Holmes." - Edward Hardwicke

August 5, 2014 10:22 pm  #62

"I remember one major problem which I had which was that I was always having to read things out of newspapers. And because I don't - I have to wear glasses to read and couldn't do it as Watson, so I was always learning vast quantities of newsprint, which I found *very* tedious."- Edward Hardwicke

August 5, 2014 10:35 pm  #63

"Holmes has become the dark side of the moon for me. He is moody and solitary and underneath I am really sociable and gregarious. It has all got too dangerous"- Jeremy Brett

August 5, 2014 10:39 pm  #64

"Now I think it is time to take lots of rest and think about what I actually want to do myself, not about what other people want me to do. But it will be a great comfort to me as I get older to be able to look back and say: 'Oh, well, I did Holmes and I managed to do it not completely badly.'"- Jeremy Brett

August 5, 2014 10:47 pm  #65

“Someone once said that no one ever leaves us as long as they are remembered. Jeremy Brett will always be remembered, along with the pleasure, the excitement and the laughter he brought to us all.” –Edward Hardwicke

Last edited by BrettHolmes (August 5, 2014 10:55 pm)

August 5, 2014 10:50 pm  #66

Pictures from the final episode, "The Cardboard Box" (1994)

August 6, 2014 8:12 am  #67

Excellent collection of pictures, as always.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 7, 2014 1:05 am  #68

I hope you have enjoyed the pictures. I will finish this post off with some links to articles as well as some videos. It turns that both Cumberbatch and Freeman were fans of the Granada series with Jeremy Brett. Here are two articles in which Ben and Martin have paid tribute to Jeremy and Edward.

Benedict Cumberbatch on Jeremy Brett
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-10-10/sherlocks-benedict-cumberbatch-on-jeremy-brett--he-was-magisterial-and-tragic

Martin Freeman on Edward Hardwicke
http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/248367/Freeman-honours-late-Sherlock-Holmes-star-Hardwicke

December 8, 2014 10:26 am  #69

Sherlock casualy sets Baker Street 221B on fire. my favourite scene of Jeremy Brett´s series:

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 8, 2014 11:18 am  #70

How to cross the room, Sherlock Holmes style:

December 8, 2014 12:35 pm  #71

This is how you scare Mary Morstan off your man. Go, Sherlock!

December 8, 2014 2:19 pm  #72

Thanks for posting these gifs, I laugh every when see the newspaper catch accidently catch fire. I also love this fight scene from The Solitary Cyclist.

Last edited by BrettHolmes (December 8, 2014 2:20 pm)

December 8, 2014 2:24 pm  #73

Here is a video of great Sherlock Holmes quotes from Jeremy

Last edited by BrettHolmes (December 8, 2014 2:26 pm)

December 8, 2014 2:33 pm  #74

Thank you for those gems, BrettHolmes.
Perfect moments like these are the reason why I love Jeremy Brett´s version so much.

December 8, 2014 9:56 pm  #75

While we are by "Solitary Cyclist", I absolutely adore the final scene of that episode, it always cracks me up. Sherlock apparently loves setting fire to his own flat.
And the dialogues! "There is more splendour yet to come." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRgdUWxjJqA

December 9, 2014 1:46 pm  #76

Hearwarming loyalty.

December 9, 2014 2:34 pm  #77

And a hearbreaking moment at Reichenbach Falls. He so much wants to tell him, to make himself visible to his friend - but he can´t anymore.

Jeremy´s acting at his finest. His face tells it all, words are not necessary.

December 9, 2014 2:38 pm  #78

Both of those are wonderful.  Time to watch some old Brett episodes while we wait for S4, I think.

December 9, 2014 2:50 pm  #79

I especially recommend the first three season of Jeremy Brett´s TV series then. They are the funniest and well-written. Later episodes are good also, but much darker and more sinister in tone.

December 10, 2014 9:52 am  #80

John - so thoughtful and caring:

Board footera