BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 30, 2015 1:12 pm  #381

Re: Baby Watson (spoilers!)

If she were move to another country to start a new life (not out of the question), she might never find out that he is alive.

Or, as I said, the way would be paved for a possible future reunion somewhere down the line.

Note that I honestly do not think this scenario would ever occur - I just like exercising my creative muscles 

October 30, 2015 1:29 pm  #382

No.  No reunions. No open ends.  In my opinion Mary needs to be gone, full stop. 

Last edited by tonnaree (October 30, 2015 1:30 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 30, 2015 1:36 pm  #383

That would be ideal.  And the sooner, the better.

November 1, 2015 12:58 am  #384

tonnaree wrote:

No.  No reunions. No open ends.  In my opinion Mary needs to be gone, full stop. 

I agree.  And the baby needs to be gone with her.  And while I think it would be a good idea if John had his turn fighting for his own life in Season 4, as Sherlock did in HLV, he does not need to disappear for weeks or months.

November 1, 2015 8:30 am  #385

The baby should be gone?!
A tad harsh perhaps, particularly if it is John's.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 1, 2015 12:33 pm  #386

Yes, for the integrity of the show, the baby needs to be gone.  May sound harsh, but it's not a real baby, it's a plot device.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

November 1, 2015 1:41 pm  #387

Yes, but it will be real to John.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 1, 2015 3:27 pm  #388

Who is not real after all, either 

Last edited by Harriet (November 1, 2015 3:28 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 1, 2015 4:25 pm  #389

Ok.
So I am concerned about the effect upon John, of losing his child.

November 1, 2015 9:55 pm  #390

Yes it's fiction. Though it's still a bit disconcerting that so many people want a baby to die. 

November 2, 2015 6:52 am  #391

tonnaree wrote:

Yes, for the integrity of the show, the baby needs to be gone.  May sound harsh, but it's not a real baby, it's a plot device.

I totally agree.. For me Mary and the baby are Just One , so both have to disappear.. Cause John Will Never chose to let them behind.

Jim Moriarty. Helloooo ! ~~

November 2, 2015 7:01 am  #392

Hang on, so what are we saying?
John may want to keep both Mary and baby, but we don't think he should?
And by 'go', do we mean die?
John may be heart broken and never fully recover.

November 2, 2015 1:57 pm  #393

A lot of us do feel that John should not "keep" Mary and the baby.  For a great many reasons.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

November 2, 2015 2:01 pm  #394

Not least of which being that in every adaptation ever the story has been about two men, not about two men, a woman, and a baby. This is the very essence of this literary universe and I would be very surprised if they chose to change that. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 2, 2015 2:04 pm  #395

That´s why it was a collosal mistake to ever add baby into this story.
I still wonder why Moftiss decided to do that? What advantage did it bring into the storyline?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 2, 2015 3:41 pm  #396

They added the baby for a reason: The melodramatic effect. Either way it is Just here to bring sadness. If he dies or is taken away by Mary , John Will be devasted. If he doesnt die John is "stuck" with his Family forever and can say good bye to his dangerous life, and we see in all season 3 That he cant stand it.

So either way the baby is a trap 😈 Just to tell us That next season John is gonna suffer a lot.

Jim Moriarty. Helloooo ! ~~

November 2, 2015 5:26 pm  #397

As a person who has made the conscious decision not to have children, I (personally) have had friendships drift apart when almost everyone else around me starts having babies.

This is just my experience, but when friends start to procreate, they are (understandably) not around as much.  Their interests change to incorporate this new creature.  And often times, they become more boring to be around (party discussions that used to be about philosophy, science, politics, technology, etc instead become about diapers, day-care, and crappy kid shows).  This is as seen from my perspective - I can understand fellow parents bonding over similar circumstances.  My point is that oftentimes, life paths of friends begin to diverge when one starts having a family and the other does not.

I cannot help projecting my own life experiences onto my interpretation of "Sherlock".

Therefore, I see that the "safest" route for Mary and baby story-wise - that they simply melt into the background - is highly unlikely.  Having children changes ones desires and perspectives, which would lead to a chasm between childless friends.  As a father, John might be less willing to risk his life.  He might fall in with other people who share his experiences, now having more in common with other couples with kids than with Sherlock.

Even simply getting married caused a distance between John and Sherlock.  Granted, it was his honeymoon time, but just being in a marriage caused John to neglect his friendship with Sherlock for over a month (and it was only through coincidence that they even met up again that soon).  Having a baby would only be worse.  Even if John wanted to resume crime-fighting at some point, he would still need to spend a lot of time with his wife and child at first - then, over time, he might soften to the family life and gradually lose this desire.

If this show is really all about Sherlock and John's friendship, then I honestly do not see a "happy family life" going on in the background.  Instead, something must happen that severs him from this role.  Whether it's death, betrayal, or separation (e.g. Mary and baby going into hiding), I really feel that John is going to have to take some serious emotional hits so that the story can keep him close with Sherlock.  And Mary and baby are, unfortunately, the people who this must happen to.

November 2, 2015 5:55 pm  #398

I feel you are right and I want the show to be back about the boys...
I just didn't want to be too cavalier about the loss of a mother and babe.

November 2, 2015 6:40 pm  #399

I'm honestly not so attached to the idea of the show being just about the boys. If they keep Mary and the baby and create great stories, I'm happy. If they get rid of them and create great stories, I'm also happy. 

And yes, friendships change with marriages and children, but that could also bring an interesting new dynamic to the show as well. So I'm open for both outcomes. 

The Guy Ritchie films had Mary in it and I thought they were great films, so it can be done. 

And for Mary dying being canon: yes, I believe the 'tragic loss' that Watson talks about in The Empty House is about Mary dying, but Mary is never mentioned, nor is it explained what happened. Also, in a later story, Watson is married again, probably Doyle had just forgotten that he'd killed off Mary earlier. 

That's enough ambiguity and inconsistencies for Moftiss to come up with a new fan theory that the 'tragic loss' was never about Mary. And now I'm thinking about it, maybe that's why they introduced the baby. Maybe it's just the baby dying. Still horrible and tragic and it'd fix that inconsistency. 

January 11, 2016 10:22 am  #400

If he had to pick up Watson’s kids - in the event Watson didn’t have any kids, who knows what will happen - he’d do it.
—     
Steven Moffat, Swedish Babel interview, April 2014

I find this quite interesting. The interview was given months after series 3 aired. And yet Moffat made this qualification about Canon Watson having no kids with everyone knowing that his Watson’s wife was pregnant. And this was not about series 4 spoilers either, just the answer to the question if Sherlock would do something as normal as picking up the kids from day school. So not one of Steven's usual lies but more of an aside. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera