BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 2, 2014 7:03 pm  #121

Re: Violence at the reunion

Liberty; engrossing thread!

My thoughts:  I remember back before Season 3 aired, there were a lot of Post-Reichenbach fics posted on AO3. I mean, at least a couple hundred. And almost EVERY SINGLE ONE had the same reunion scenario-- Sherlock comes back, approaches John, and John (a) punches him in the face, (b) beats him up even more severely, or (c) the entire fic is about John finding ways to punish Sherlock. 

I think Moffttiss' people problably were aware of those fics, and thought that scenario was what the fans wanted. 

I didn't like the scene, I thought it went overboard, and that cheapened it. And John didn't just punch Sherlock, he went to his default--strangulation. Twice. Then, head-butting. Fisticuffs are one thing, but strangulation implies that one is attempting to murder the strangle-lee.

I can understand the beffudlement at John's actions-- for the last two years, Fanon has painted him as a Saint (which is even listed in the tags in some fics) who is saddled with and burdened by being forced to deal with Sherlock, as if Sherlock were John's problem autisic/socipoathic/idiot savant/Vulcan child. There's a tendency to see the debacle with Moriarty as all Sherlock's fault, as if he sought him out.

Then, there the viewpoint that Sherlock should have just not engaged Moriarty.

Would we ask anybody else NOT to do their work? To stop being themselves? Sherlock is a detective, and if the Government, MI6, and Scotland Yard trust him to solve problems like Moriarty, why do we think that Sherlock should have just dropped the case, when Moriarty was threatening not only the people he cared for, but Greater London as well?

Sherlock didn't ask for the events leading up to TRF. Moriarty was the villain, not Sherlock. 

John's rage often seems to come from feeling duped, feeling foolish, disrespected-- taken for granted, and I get that-- but I can't see how Sherlock *could* have confided in him; John--as much as I love him, he's not MI6. He doesn't have that skill set. And, it's pretty obvious that Sherlock is MI6, at least on a freelance basis. (He gets sent on missions? Mycroft's resources?, Yeah, MI6.) 

John (as we see in TEH) doesn't have the greatest impulse control, is not the most observant person, doesn't always reach helpul conclusions (he's more likely to go off on an unfruitful tangent) ex., he thinks it's the cat in ASiB, he's positive that flashes of light on the horizon are morse code in HoB. John is also bad at lying. It's a wonderful trait in a cop, a soldier, a doctor or a boyfriend-- it's not great for covert work. And that anger-- he's a bit of a loose cannon. You really want to send him-- with PTSD, nightmares every night, hand tremor-- on a dangerous covert mission? 

Biggest reason that Sherlock shouldn't have contacted John? They tell us in TeH-- John was a marker. And I can't believe that Mary wasn't placed at John's clinic as a way to keep an eye on him; if Sherlock was alive, all you'd have to do was watch John Watson. Or is it that common for ex-assassins to take up work in GP clinics? Especially *that* clinic? And just happen to "fall in love" with John? Really? 

How can Sherlock say this to John, when Mary is sitting right there? When it's still a secret that he's
even alive? Hmmmm. 

This is just my convoluted way of saying, no-- I didn't like the assault scene in TEH, but I understand why they did it. And not all men have to resort to violence because they can't use their words. 

Yes, I think that John could hit Mary, and yes-- he could, in a fit of rage, and especially if he's been drinking (which seems to be becoming a theme) shake the baby. I don't think they'll ever have that happen, but I could see a scene where he comes dangerously close to it.  And in the confrontation scene in HLV, John's threatening Sherlock in exactly the way an abuser threatens those he/she abuses. Exactly. 

Molly: I hated that scene. Somehow, (and this was just how I saw it) her hitting him three times, very , very hard--- that seemed more vindictive-- and I think a lot of us liked it, because we have never forgiven Sherlock for the way he treated her in the last two seasons. I didn't like that scene, either-- that sort of Hollywood dramatic (and violent!) "Intervention" is probably the WORST way to deal with a addict. That was just another scene about Punishing Sherlock. 

Though, I wonder if many look at Sherlock being beaten and hit as really, more like coporal punishment. You know--like a spanking. 

I think John's and Molly's violent behavior towards Sherlock was really about punishing Sherlock for the last two seasons-- for who he is, for his lack of tact, for Baskerville--- it was all payback.  Personally, though-- I don't think it makes it right; imagine if we got punished by our "friends" in that way. 

My last point: I think it's interesting that it's easier to forgive physical violence than being poorly socialized. And I also think that in the next season, if John does something truly rephrehensible, and Sherlock beats him the way John beat Sherlock-- John will be seen as the victim. It won't be funny or excusable anymore. 

I'm rambling again.. more cofffffeeeeeeeee........

September 2, 2014 7:32 pm  #122

I could never believe Mofftiss wrote the reunion scene a certain way because of fan fiction.

Sometimes I feel like I am the only person who finds John's reaction to Sherlock that night as both in character and understandable.

In order to maintain the standards of deciency established in this forum I will not comment on the idea of Sherlock being spanked.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 2, 2014 7:42 pm  #123

Thank goodness for small mercies!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 2, 2014 7:53 pm  #124

About fanfic--we know that the 4th wall has been..well, shattered. 

Why is it so difficult to believe that the show might have taken some cues from fanfic? It wasn't just one fic saying the same thing--John punching Sherlock-- it was dozens,  years before season 3 aired. I mean, it became a cliche!

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (September 2, 2014 7:54 pm)

September 2, 2014 7:56 pm  #125

Because the writers have said they don't look at it.
I would think less of them if they did.

Last edited by besleybean (September 2, 2014 7:57 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 2, 2014 8:05 pm  #126

Just an aside - yesterday I was watching "Torchwood" and heard these words which I know from so many Sherlock fanfics. 
"It's not men, it's just him. It's only him."
Such things happen. 

Moreover, Steven and Mark call themselves fanboys writing their own sort of fanfic. Of course I do not expect them to read all that stuff and turn it intos scripts but I am sure that now and then they have a look at it. Which is fine for me. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 2, 2014 8:08 pm  #127

Well unless thery were(ahem) lying again they have said they don't.
Apparently this is quite common for two of the best writers of modern times...why the heck would they want to?

September 2, 2014 8:20 pm  #128

tonnaree wrote:

Sometimes I feel like I am the only person who finds John's reaction to Sherlock that night as both in character and understandable.

No, tonnaree, I'm with you on that one. But we seem to be in the minority. Take comfort in the fact though that that doesn't make us stupid, or wrong. 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, RavenMorganLeigh. Among the many excellent points you make, this really stuck in my mind: 

Raven wrote:

And I also think that in the next season, if John does something truly rephrehensible, and Sherlock beats him the way John beat Sherlock-- John will be seen as the victim. It won't be funny or excusable anymore.

That is true. It would be absurd if that ever happened. Totally unthinkable. I agree that with Sherlock as the victim, it's all about payback, but then he DID ask for it oh so many times (both in John's and Molly's case). John never asks for it, no matter what flaws and faults he has. So we'll never see him being punished that way. Simple as that.

As for whether Mofftiss got that idea from fanfic or not, I really don't care. If both Mofftiss and several hundred fans with literary ambitions pictured it that way, then that's probably the best proof that it does work within in the story and is in character. Whether they "stole" that idea from someone else or came up with it themselves ever before TRF aired, I really don't care. If I'd ever recognise even the tiniest element from one of my fanfics in the actual show I'd be flattered, not disappointed.

Last edited by La Jolie (September 2, 2014 8:21 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

September 2, 2014 8:39 pm  #129

Aha. Sherlock ASKS to be hit. :-) 

This goes to the orginal post: why the violence that John, and to an exent Molly dish out to Sherlock can give some of us (myself included) the heebie-jeebies. 

That's called victim blaming-- and the attitude that John can do no wrong reminds me of a parent with one kid who always gets the blame for everything, while the other kid is the "darling" , and can do no wrong. 

And also, as far as deserving to be hit, why not Mary? If what we are saying is that the penalty for causing emotional pain, whether purposely, or through selfishness, or unintentionally, or through ignorance-- if the penalty is phsyical violence, then why *not* Mary--for what she did to John? Shouldn't she at least get a slap? Maybe even from Molly, on John's behalf? 

It seems to me that this criteria for when it's okay to hit someone is only applicable to Sherlock. 

September 2, 2014 8:49 pm  #130

tonnaree wrote:

In order to maintain the standards of deciency established in this forum I will not comment on the idea of Sherlock being spanked.

Count me as the third person to think that. 

But i might have other view on the whole situation as i was myself on the verge of getting depressed (not that kind of depressed when you have a bad day, but that kind of depressed when life makes no meaning anymore) so i feel a lot for what someone in John's position getting through all the trauma of grieving and suicide witnessing might feel. I might write someday how i see John in S3, but i don't know if you would be interested.  

I don't feel well when someone is getting physical abuse, i don't like it, i don't look at it - i wathced the beginning od TEH when Sherlock is tortured only once and cound't watch it again. And still i see the answer of John to the way Sherlock choose to present himself at the reunion as in his character, compatible with both his issues and with the world of alpha-men he was living in for quite a time. Yeah, the writers could have choosen a more PC reunion, but that would have not feel real for me. 

For example i didn't find Molly slaps as understable from  her character and development. She was depicted as very emphatic , especially to Sherlock, and everybody knows that addiction is an illness and should be handled with care. She is a smart woman and emphatic and all of the sudden she is so out of her character and without letting Sherlock explain himself she slaps him?  They didn't argue before, she was totally shy to him and all of the sudden, this? 

September 2, 2014 9:06 pm  #131

A lovely light wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Count me as the third person to think that. 

But i might have other view on the whole situation as i was myself on the verge of getting depressed (not that kind of depressed when you have a bad day, but that kind of depressed when life makes no meaning anymore) so i feel a lot for what someone in John's position getting through all the trauma of grieving and suicide witnessing might feel. I might write someday how i see John in S3, but i don't know if you would be interested.  

I don't feel well when someone is getting physical abuse, i don't like it, i don't look at it - i wathced the beginning od TEH when Sherlock is tortured only once and cound't watch it again. And still i see the answer of John to the way Sherlock choose to present himself at the reunion as in his character, compatible with both his issues and with the world of alpha-men he was living in for quite a time. Yeah, the writers could have choosen a more PC reunion, but that would have not feel real for me. 

For example i didn't find Molly slaps as understable from  her character and development. She was depicted as very emphatic , especially to Sherlock, and everybody knows that addiction is an illness and should be handled with care. She is a smart woman and emphatic and all of the sudden she is so out of her character and without letting Sherlock explain himself she slaps him?  They didn't argue before, she was totally shy to him and all of the sudden, this? 

I agree with your point about Molly. 

Molly and John treated Sherlock like a convicted criminal, not someone with an illness. 

September 2, 2014 9:16 pm  #132

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Aha. Sherlock ASKS to be hit.

Yes, I think he does.

That's called victim blaming

Yes, and we surely all agree that it is terrible, twisted and wrong whenever something like that happens in real life domestic violence.

But going back to the fictional story that we're talking about, with characters whose personalities and emotions are arguably somewhat larger than life and intended to be taken with a grain of salt -

John can certainly do wrong. His anger and aggressive tendencies have me slightly worried, too. And of course he's wrong in hitting Sherlock. Legally it's a clear case of assault without any extenuating circumstances, if Sherlock ever considered pressing charges against him.

But I think the reason why some of us do find a funny and/or a sexy element in it (sexy on Sherlock's part, not on John's), you have to look at the reason *why* John feels a need for punishing Sherlock. It's not just for causing non-descript emotional pain for non-descript reasons. It would never have been funny and/or sexy if Sherlock's mistake had been unintentional or due to ignorance, fear, or any other sort of weakness. So for us people who didn't mind the scene, it's not generally OK to hit people (even in fiction) just because they've made any kind of mistake for any reason. You really have to look at why the victim makes the mistake.

If you look at the reason for Sherlock's mistake - and I define his mistake not as the fact of the Fall and the deception that went with it, but as his bad way of handling the reunion - , you will find arrogance, selfishness, idiocentrism and general disregard for John's feelings and needs, in short, everything you've ever loved to hate about Sherlock's personality and the way it shapes his relationship with John. That's what earns him his punishment. Not the mistake as such but the reason why he made it.

Now, what's the feeling you get when someone is being very annoyingly arrogant all the time? When someone keeps making you feel stupid, keeps not taking you seriously, disregards your feelings and tries to make himself feel better at your expense? You want to take him down a peg or two. You want to 
assert yourself, you want to be the one on top for once, you want that arrogant brat to feel what it's like to be someone else's punch-ball. So, when your verbal skills fail you, you hit him. Because that shuts him up and turns the tables very quickly and efficiently.

There's nothing interesting or satisfying (let alone attractive) in a weak person being humiliated. But it becomes very interesting and possibly attractive if the person at the receiving end isn't used to that sort of thing at all, when he's used to being on top of the world all the time with everyone deferring to him.

It's the extreme contrast of arrogance and humiliation that makes the scene enjoyable to me. Of pride coming before the fall, if you want to put it poetically.

I hope it's become clear that this is totally different from a scenario in which Mary gets physically punished for her (many) faults and mistakes. None of these faults and mistakes (I think) are due to arrogance on her part, so she definitely doesn't give me the feeling that she needs taking down a bit, so  seeing that happen wouldn't cause me any satisfaction. On the opposite, a scenario like that would just be horrible. 

Plus there's the fact that I don't find Mary sexy. I'm still not sure how big a factor that is in the overall equation, but it certainly is a necessary condition for my enjoyment of violent scenes.

Last edited by La Jolie (September 2, 2014 9:25 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

September 2, 2014 10:28 pm  #133

@Raven, you've pretty much described how I feel about the whole thing.   That's not to say that I think it's out of character (it WAS out of character for John as I thought I knew him, but I've had to assimilate it into my view of the character), or that I think it shouldn't have been included, or that I think people shouldn't like the scenes. 

I'm actually wondering if Molly's violence was even worse than John's.  I understand that John was dealing with extremes of emotions and a two year build up of grief and loss.  Molly hadn't gone through that, and yes, it does seem more like a punishment.   And in both cases, regardless of what you think of the violence, Sherlock was in the right.  He really was working on a case.  He did need to engage Moriarty and afterwards, he didn't have any option than the course he took, at great personal sacrifice.  Or rather, he did have an option.  He could have let people be killed and cleared his name and got on with his life, but he chose to sacrifice himself.

I also feel that with both John and Molly, Sherlock can be an arse at times, but they choose to be involved with him, knowing that.   I don't feel that Sherlock led Molly on, for instance.  What you see is what you get.  Not that that means he can behave how he likes because he's open about it ... but I do think he's upfront - they know he won't tell them everything, for instance. 

Anyway, I've been thinking a lot about the idea of Mary watching John, or whatever is going on there (I agree that it doesn't seem likely to be coincidence), and it's interesting watching the scenes with that in mind.  She's just watched her husband being unexpectedly violent, but seems pleased and almost triumphant at the end. 

September 2, 2014 11:16 pm  #134

I'm having a lot of difficulty with the idea that someone being a know it all, someone being arrogant, that that's a good reason to want them taken down. I find that idea rather-- well, it's reflective of the Reality TV world we live in, where we pick sides based on how "nice" someone is, versus how "mean" or arrogant someone is, and wait for the mean person to Fall. We delight in it. And, really-- wasn't that what TRF was about? Sherlock rose in the eyes of the press, he caught the attention of Moriarty, but he wasn't humble enough, he wasn't nice enough. Therefore, he had to Fall. He lost everything. So the moral of the story is, be nice, be normal, be polite, be humble. Otherwise, you will be taken down. But if you're "nice", people will forgive you *anything*. 

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (September 2, 2014 11:17 pm)

September 2, 2014 11:53 pm  #135

Liberty, i don't think that Sherlock was right, He was not right at all. He might have his reasons, but the way he choose to deal with it affects other people, sometimes badly, and than they have all the right in the world to don't feel ok about that. Because no means can excuse all the ways you deal with it, even if it is a noble one. It's not John fault that Sherlock can trust loads of people, to whom he has only a professional relationship, like the 25 homeless but not his friend - and i am very unhappy with the dealing of "why" in S3 actually. Because everytime when Sherlock thinks he will protect John by not telling him what is going on, it gets actually pretty wrong for John, he doesn't protect him at all. And MI secret at all, but also his parents knew, the 25 homeless knew, Molly knew. What should John think about it? What would you think if your closest friend would share something so important with loads of people but you? Would you take it graciusly? Would you think that the friend was right? Woudn't it hurt you deeply? Add this to what John already accumalted in the last two years andyou have the reason why he exploded.

And sacrifice and all, John was also sacrificed - and he hasn't got a choice about it - and he becomes as answer a joke?  To his grief and emotions? Said that he was not to be trusted?That makes my blood boiling and i am not invested in it, not grieving, not having two empty years behind me.  

If i would have a friend doing me something similar, i woudn't punch him for sure. But the anger would be deep, very deep, and would eat out the friendship. So actually, from a certain point of view, for Sherlock is better that John let his anger out, because after that he can move on and rebuilt the friendship. Anger is anger, you can keep it deep burried, but the thing is that is coming back over and over and bits your soul. You cannot transform it  in positive feelings, when is such a deep feeling and so corelated with other deep feelings. You have to deal with it and is a very hard thing to do, one of the hardest especially in our society who has such a huge problem with expressing the anger and let so little possible outlets to canalise it, 

September 3, 2014 12:14 am  #136

Liberty; I agree with your point-- Sherlock actually was in the right. Sometimes putting another person's feelings first is exactly the wrong thing to do. And you're right-- how would we feel if Sherlock had "done everything right". Not jumped when he did, but come down off the roof, tell John everything right then and there, not go after Moriarty. Then, John is shot by a sniper. Mrs. Hudson is dead. Lestrade, shot through a window at NSY. Moriarty continues unchecked. But at least, Sherlock put John's feelings first!

Maybe John survives. Now, everybody, including John blames Sherlock for Lestrade's and Mrs. Hudson's deaths. The whole scenario was set up as a catch-22, that was the point. No matter what Sherlock did, he was never going to come out of it okay. 

September 3, 2014 12:17 am  #137

He is right about jumping in that moment. But he isn't right to keep John in the dark for two years, also he is not right about the way he choose to do the reunion - he so should have give more thought about it, about how and where he would meet John and explain him .... 

September 3, 2014 12:20 am  #138

I'd just like to clarify I said in character and understandable not right

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 3, 2014 12:24 am  #139

About that reunion-- Sherlock had just been rescued from being tortured and beaten. He had to be on pain meds. He was obviously nervous. Maybe that's a partial explanation for his poor judgment in the way that he approached John? 

September 3, 2014 12:25 am  #140

A lovely light wrote:

He is right about jumping in that moment. But he isn't right to keep John in the dark for two years, also he is not right about the way he choose to do the reunion - he so should have give more thought about it, about how and where he would meet John and explain him .... 

I think Sherlock didn't tell John, because John was being watched. It would have put John's life in dnager. 

Board footera