BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 8, 2014 8:47 pm  #281

Re: Violence at the reunion

Well said. Because it was not only dependent on choosing the right entry point of the bullet. There were lots of other aspects involved she could not influence. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 8, 2014 9:27 pm  #282

nakahara wrote:

I too percieved her as chillingly threatening in this scene.
She was beyond desperate now, this was her last chance to stop Sherlock - so her every word sounded like a serious death-threat to me.

Sherlock is so vulnerable in that scene. Watch how his mouth opens, but no sound comes out. He's absolutely defenseless.

The woman who put him in that state is standing over him telling him not to tell. She's not apologetic. Her voice is cold and the threat of 'or else' is implicit.

And remember that his first word to John was "Mary." He wasn't trying to protect her at that point.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

September 8, 2014 9:36 pm  #283

SusiGo wrote:

Well said. Because it was not only dependent on choosing the right entry point of the bullet. There were lots of other aspects involved she could not influence. 

Yes, and I think we can all agree that Sherlock´s survival was as close as it gets, even with every aspect working in his favour. So if that indeed was her plan, it was a really risky one. A user called Willow pointed out to me some time ago that a person returning to life after flatlining long enough to be considered dead is indeed a known medical phenomenon called "Lazarus syndrome". It is extremely rare, it has been noted 38 times worldwide since 1982, so it´s completely statistically insignificant. No one could have counted on this to happen. Everything in Mary´s "plan to save him" went right, and yet what saved him in the end was a medical miracle that happens in like 0.0000001 % of all cases. So thank you for providing that 0.0000001% chance, Mary, you´re a true lifesaver..

Last edited by Zatoichi (September 8, 2014 11:07 pm)

September 8, 2014 9:42 pm  #284

Zatoichi wrote:

a known medical phenomenon called "Lazarus syndrome".

maybe they just liked the name ;o)

Zatoichi wrote:

So thank you for providing that 0.0000001% chance, Mary, you´re a true lifesaver..

haha I like that!

"It is what it is."

September 9, 2014 4:38 am  #285

Zatoichi wrote:

So thank you for providing that 0.0000001% chance, Mary, you´re a true lifesaver..

I just said it at the Mary's choice thread:
I fail to understand how it is okay for Mary to shoot Sherlock (not her fault, she was programmed and he took a step in her direction, and she only shot him a litte so he survived), but not okay for John to beat Sherlock at the reunion (he is an agressive man who will most likely beat baby Watson one day).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

September 9, 2014 5:33 am  #286

Schmiezi wrote:

Zatoichi wrote:

I just said it at the Mary's choice thread:
I fail to understand how it is okay for Mary to shoot Sherlock (not her fault, she was programmed and he took a step in her direction, and she only shot him a litte so he survived), but not okay for John to beat Sherlock at the reunion (he is an agressive man who will most likely beat baby Watson one day).

I think in both situations other reactions would have been possible. There was no need for Mary to shoot Sherlock, there was no need for John to beat Sherlock - there are always alternatives. Nevertheless it's much easier for me to understand John's reaction. And if we're talking about Mary, the former CIA agent who was programmed and brainwashed... well, maybe I have watched too many movies about secret agents and all that, but I would think that she is also trained to react in a way that doesn't involve shooting your husband's best friend.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 9, 2014 6:01 am  #287

Yes, very different situations and it's difficult to compare, I think.  Mary's violence is cold-blooded - it's a rational decision to remove an obstacle in her way and protect herself.  (And yes, she could have chosen a non-violent option, but didn't).  She has no desire to inflict pain on Sherlock - that's incidental - and it's not aimed at him personally.  John's violence is hot-blooded.  He isn't defending himself.  There isn't any rational decision.  It's aimed at Sherlock, personally, and he wants to hurt him. 

In terms of future violence, I suppose we know that Mary could be violent if she's threatened enough and sees it as the most useful solution, and John could be violent if he was angry enough. 

I just can't see Mary's violence having anything in common with domestic violence.   It doesn't feel familiar to me.  The only thing that does seem like domestic violence is that her death threats give her control.   That's the aspect that missing in the situation with John - he isn't using violence as a means to control, and he isn't controlling outside of the violence.   (As I've said before, I'm only talking about his behaviour in those scenes at the restaurant, and possibly also the confrontation in HLV.  I don't think the character is written as an abuser). 

I'm not saying one is worse than the other - Mary's violence is clearly worse because she does more damage.  But that one feels like domestic violence and the other doesn't.

Last edited by Liberty (September 9, 2014 6:01 am)

September 9, 2014 6:25 am  #288

Zatoichi wrote:

This! 

And, yes, Schmiezi, I absolutely agree with you on that. It seems that some people are more ready to excuse violence in women than in men. Which I really do not understand. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 9, 2014 6:26 am  #289

That's one way of looking at it, Liberty.
I see it this way: Mary makes a conscious decision, she decides to shoot Sherlock with her brain. She gives a 'warning' and then shoots. John on the other hand is guided by his heart, he doesn't make a conscious decision because he can't really think straight. He is overcome with emotion, shock and disbelief.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

September 9, 2014 2:00 pm  #290

As much as I liked Willow and hope she'll come back one day, I do think she really overestimated the Moftiss' knowledge of medical statistics. I don't think they went for the lazarus sydrome but used the old flatline trope that you see in so (too) many films and tv shows. Instead, I believe that Moffat just googled types of gunshot wounds that were relatively easy to survive and settled for a liver injury. 

Now, I agree that Mary's plan to save Sherlock isn't exactly bulletproof (sorry for the lame pun), but I don't think she really had the time and mental capacity to come up with something better. I mean, her first impulse was to kill them both and at the last moment she came up with something else and the only reason why she did that was because she didn't want Sherlock to die. 

September 9, 2014 5:01 pm  #291

silverblaze wrote:

As much as I liked Willow and hope she'll come back one day, I do think she really overestimated the Moftiss' knowledge of medical statistics. I don't think they went for the lazarus sydrome but used the old flatline trope that you see in so (too) many films and tv shows. Instead, I believe that Moffat just googled types of gunshot wounds that were relatively easy to survive and settled for a liver injury.  

I don´t know, they really seem to like their "Lazarus" (I´ve heard Moffat uses it in Doctor Who, too), maybe they´ve heard about the syndrome. But whatever they did, they showed he didn´t survive easily but it was very close, cost him a huge effort and was mainly motivated by the thought of John. You are right, it could have been only for storytelling purposes, to increase the drama, to show the mind palace sequence and show Sherlock hit rock bottom and isn´t to be taken too seriously.. but until I´m shown in S4 that they were (again ^^) just playing around a bit I´ll stick to my theory that Mary is an antagonist.

Last edited by Zatoichi (September 9, 2014 5:02 pm)

September 9, 2014 9:15 pm  #292

Even if she "allowed" him to live, she threatened to kill him as soon as she got him alone again.  That's not a proper way to save somebody or even spare their life

SusiGo wrote:

It seems that some people are more ready to excuse violence in women than in men. Which I really do not understand. 

Speaking for myself, no that's not true.  I thought Molly's violence was less excusable than John's.  But John's makes me feel worse.

It's difficult to compare Mary's violence to either of those.  After all, she virtually kills someone, so on the scale of violence, it's way, way beyond the transient injury/pain Molly and John caused.  And also she doesn't do it to hurt Sherlock, even if I believe she wanted to kill him.  It was to save herself, not to hurt him. 

Mary is worse than Molly is worse (possibly) than John.  But different kinds of violence and motivations.   Except that all of them should have found a way to avoid it (I think).

September 9, 2014 9:23 pm  #293

Molly's violence, LOL! 
I feel like Mrs Hudson now, after her talking with Molly about Sherlock being the best man! 

Sorry, back to my sofa 

Last edited by Harriet (September 9, 2014 9:27 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 9, 2014 10:04 pm  #294

I think it's also important to remember that Mary and Sherlock were supposed to be freinds, when she shot him-- and yes, that was a kill shot. Sherlock freaking planned her wedding! 

She shot him anyway, knowing that there was very, very good chance that he would not survive it. 

September 10, 2014 4:24 am  #295

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

I think it's also important to remember that Mary and Sherlock were supposed to be freinds, when she shot him-- and yes, that was a kill shot. Sherlock freaking planned her wedding! 

She shot him anyway, knowing that there was very, very good chance that he would not survive it. 

And it's not like Sherlock makes friends easily. I think this is part of what makes me so sad every time I think of it.
Thanks for pointing it out again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

September 10, 2014 4:47 am  #296

Schmiezi wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

And it's not like Sherlock makes friends easily. I think this is part of what makes me so sad every time I think of it.
Thanks for pointing it out again.

Yes, and furthermore: Even if Mary lost her mind in that situation, was in shock or just did what her CIA training has taught her to do in situations like this one, she had time to think it through afterwards. And what happened...? Apparently she stuck to it and just continued on her path by threatening Sherlock again twice. She did not really explain herself - Sherlock and CAM did all the explaining - let alone say she's sorry. Well okay, she said it before she shot Sherlock.  

September 10, 2014 6:28 am  #297

Yes, she gives the message that she will kill him if he crosses her.  Three times - when she shoots him, in the hospital and at Leinster Gardens.  He didn't live because of Mary's surgery, but in spite of it - I really don't hope they expect us to accept that as anything other than an explanation Sherlock is giving to fool Mary. 

I'm going off topic a bit here, but what do you think John believes?  He's the doctor.  The explanation doesn't make sense.  Does he believe it?  (In fact, is the explanation partly for John's benefit? Because he might not accept Mary back otherwise?).   Does he see through it and still accept Mary back?  Does he just not want to know?

September 10, 2014 6:50 am  #298

I really hope that at the end of HLV he´s in on a plan Sherlock has.. a plan they worked out in the months between the confrontation and christmas. Because I know that else I´ll have a very hard time silencing my brain while trying to enjoy the next series..

September 10, 2014 7:30 am  #299

Zatoichi wrote:

I really hope that at the end of HLV he´s in on a plan Sherlock has.. a plan they worked out in the months between the confrontation and christmas. Because I know that else I´ll have a very hard time silencing my brain while trying to enjoy the next series..

This!

September 10, 2014 7:49 am  #300

Liberty wrote:

I'm going off topic a bit here, but what do you think John believes?  He's the doctor.  The explanation doesn't make sense.  Does he believe it?  (In fact, is the explanation partly for John's benefit? Because he might not accept Mary back otherwise?).   Does he see through it and still accept Mary back?  Does he just not want to know?

I think John is just resigned that this is the way Sherlock wants it. Of course he knows that the "surgery" speech is bullshit but as he himself has stated in HLV: "Okay. Your way. Always your way."

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera