BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 23, 2012 6:43 pm  #81

Re: The weather

horserider99 wrote:

I'm about 40 minutes away from Portland, depending on traffic (everything depends on traffic in this area). Portland is in the North-westernish corner of Oregon.

Are they" keeping it weird?"

October 23, 2012 6:44 pm  #82

Davina wrote:

Can you guess? Yes! FOG!

Sorry, D, but maybe you should take advantage and do some sleuthing.

October 23, 2012 7:47 pm  #83

The FOG improved to OVERCAST to day. How THRILLING!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 24, 2012 3:17 am  #84

There's autumn in Russia, but due to the vast territory it occupies, weather in regions differ from each other very much. I live in the Far East, and in September, for example, when we still wear summer clothes, people in Saint-Petersburg already have coats and boots on.
The worst thing about my region is constant humidity. Especially in summer when it's so hot and the air is damp, people (especially old) feel bad and it's hard to breathe. In winter it feels like lower temperature than it is in fact because of dampness.

There was the first snow in my region on Monday, and today in the morning the roads were very slippery. I think I walked like a Japanese woman in ancient times, because keeping balance on heels needs practice and skills  . It's about 1 above zero and I already miss summer ...

Last edited by 221B Baker Street (October 24, 2012 3:23 am)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: "I need to get some air, we're going out tonight."
John: "Actually, I've uh, got a date."
Sherlock: "What?"
John: "It's where two people who like each other go out and have fun."
Sherlock: "That's what I was suggesting."

October 24, 2012 5:19 am  #85

We're almost at the end of Autumn now. Nights are cold but the days are still warm Last night it rained heavily almost allover the north India and we had hail storms too, in my city. It's going to get colder by the day here... !!
Anyways, today we have a festival here, "Dushera". So, a very happy Dushera to everyone

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at those cheekbones, I could cut myself slapping that face… would you like me to try?

October 24, 2012 6:09 am  #86

Happy Dushera! Any particular events for this festival?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 24, 2012 11:29 am  #87

Hi. Thanks Davina. Actually, this festival comes exactly 20 days before the biggest festival of India, which is 'Diwali'. There are various Dushera fairs that happen across the city where a giant effigy of 'Ravan' (a devil that appears in Ramayana- Hindu holy book- symbolizing vices and all bad deeds in human beings) is burnt using crackers. A lot of children go with their parents to watch this fair. We generally eat and distribute sweets at home. It is believed that on this day, Lord Rama defeated Raavan and then returned to India after walking for about 20 days. Then Diwali is celebrated upon his return.
Basically, Dushera signifies the triumph of 'good' over 'evil'. 
Her'es an image of Dushera celebration.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at those cheekbones, I could cut myself slapping that face… would you like me to try?

October 24, 2012 12:54 pm  #88

Ah yes the Ramayana with Rama and Sita etc. It is a great story isn't it. Thanks for the picture too. Those giant effigies are really enormous aren't they.

October 24, 2012 4:16 pm  #89

Yes, they are very big.. As a child, I used to get scared watching them... and then they use lots of sound effects too  lolzz
Anyways, I am glad to know that you're aware of Ramayana, Davina 

October 24, 2012 4:35 pm  #90

We have a large Hindu community locally and in the UK.

Weather today has turned for the better! Yay! We can actually see some sun!

October 24, 2012 5:05 pm  #91

That feature IS part of climate change.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 24, 2012 5:43 pm  #92

Happy Dushera!

Sunny and 75 degrees F here today. Gorgeous. If only it would last.

October 24, 2012 5:54 pm  #93

Gorgeous here today.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 28, 2012 6:15 pm  #94

Hurricane Sandy has begun to have an impact in my area of the US, New England.  Monday is forecast to be the worst day of it here.  It'll be interesting to see how bad it turns out to be.

Let's ponder: What would Sherlock do if he found himself in a hurricane?     Would he...

...Examine the weather data himself to determine the odds of it hitting London?
...Yell that the forecasts on TV are dull and predictable?
...Set up rain gauges and anemometers outside his flat to measure the amount of rainfall and wind speeds?
...Go to the Thames to measure the surge caused by the rain?
...Tell John to go buy extra supplies, not realizing he's already done so--days ago?
...Jump for joy and say it's Christmas at the prospect of having more criminals to catch due to looting of businesses damaged by the storm?

Regardless of what Sherlock might do, I hope everyone who is in Sandy's path stays safe and dry!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

October 28, 2012 6:30 pm  #95

At least he wouldn't be bored.

Seriously, though, stay safe everyone!

October 29, 2012 7:26 am  #96

Yes, stay safe anyone in the at risk zone. Referring to the Thames surge idea...we have the athames flood barrier which is raised to protect London from flooding. It would have a negative effect on areas the other side of the barrier though, which have suffered flooding before, notably in 1953 which cost many lives.

October 29, 2012 7:34 am  #97

Stay safe over there on the East Coast. Let's hope the worst will soon be over. We are thinking of you. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 30, 2012 12:04 pm  #98

If you have the chance, Sherli and ancientsgate and other East coasters, check in and let us know you are okay.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

October 31, 2012 12:35 am  #99

I was very fortunate--I didn't lose power at all, though the lights flickered on and off a few times on Monday.  It rained and was windy, gradually increasing in intensity until late afternoon when the wind really picked up.  But, overall, not really worse than other bad storms I've experienced here.  However, over 300,000 people in Massachusetts did lose power, including several thousand in other areas of my town.  And the governor basically ordered all schools in the state to be closed on Monday.  Most of the districts where I live were also closed on Tuesday as well.  So I had a very nice two-day mini-vacation, although us teachers will have to make up the days at the end of the year in June.

On the other hand, the devastation in New Jersey and New York City, both places where I used to live, is awful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

October 31, 2012 7:10 am  #100

You have to make up the days in June. That wouldn't happen here. You seem to have been very lucky where you were.

Board footera