BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 20, 2012 3:41 pm  #61

Re: The weather

She had a great time, despite the sunburn to which she is applying after sun as we speak (virtually speaking). She particularly enjoyed The Stone Roses and was lucky enough to get into the front row for their concert. Hate prickly heat! Did you have a nice time away?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 21, 2012 2:56 pm  #62

Yeah, I did, thanks! We had a pool in the garden so we could cool off there!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

September 26, 2012 9:48 am  #63

Oh Lordy! Our Met Office (Metereological OffIce) do have a WONDERFUL sense of humour! Or perhaps they are just deranged. Today's forecast (checked at 7 a.m.) was for light showers this morning. These light showers seem to have had some difficulty in realising they are, in fact, light. They think they are really, really heavy. In fact they don't think they are even showers at all, since they have only stopped for ten minutes since 7 a.m. this morning. Having gone back onto the forecast by the Met Office they have obviously cottoned on to the fact (probably looked out of the window) and realised that the light showers are just not playing ball today and therefore they have revised their forecast to one of heavy rain all morning and into the afternoon.

Seriously, I wonder why I even bother looking at the forecast!

Yours, a very soggy Davina!

Last edited by Davina (September 26, 2012 9:49 am)

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 26, 2012 9:09 pm  #64

It's always amusing (and sometimes annoying) when the weather stations have such obviously wrong predictions. Hope it didn't affect your day too much!

September 26, 2012 9:23 pm  #65

Davina, you really made me laugh now! I'm really sorry for you, but............. lololol

Yesterday I was thinking about writing a readers letter to our daily newspaper to ask them where the h... they take their forecasts from! It is autumn now and here we hardly reach 20 C at the moment. The weeks forecast in the newspaper said: Monday 17, Tuesday 16, Wednesday 27, thursday 15 .... or similar.
Fine, we had thunder and lighning on tuesday evening and it felt a bit like inside a greenhouse. Tropical. But 27 C ?? Never ever!
And it is always like that. They say "rain" - means: sunshine. And vice versa.
So meanwhile I check in good old www at work. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 27, 2012 8:36 am  #66

One of my best memories in this issue: visited a friend working at the Weather Service office in Canberra. During lunch break he introduced me to his colleagues and we stood in the lunch room looking outside towards the lake, marveling at the sun.. while a radio in the background announced 'currently light rain in Canberra'. Hilarious!

September 27, 2012 10:55 am  #67

It is good to hear that their incompetence knows no national barriers! Lol!

September 27, 2012 4:11 pm  #68

Methinks "meteorologist" is synonymous with "incompetent."  My radio just informed me that my area is experiencing "light cloud cover with patchy sunshine."  I guess that's a new phrase for "torrential downpour with lots of lightning."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I dug this bullet out of that wall three hours before you said that somebody fired it at you three minutes ago.  You're under arrest, sir."
~Lt. Columbo, Candidate for Crime

September 27, 2012 4:33 pm  #69

Soon we can plant rice here....
All rain which was missing the last weeks comes down now in a few days.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 27, 2012 5:23 pm  #70

York, a city in the north of England, is under threat of flooding, again! Apparently a block of flats in Newcastle, again in the far north of England has been undermined by all the water and is in imminent danger of collapsing.

October 22, 2012 11:16 am  #71

FOG!

October 22, 2012 11:19 am  #72

Blue sky, 22 C°.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

October 22, 2012 5:50 pm  #73

Still FOG!

October 22, 2012 5:53 pm  #74

London is supposed to be foggy!
And aren't you nearby?

October 22, 2012 6:24 pm  #75

London used to have lots of bad fog/smog through Victorian times until the Clean Air Act, which I think was passed in the 1960s. This banned fuels which produced smogs. Since then it does get normal fog, from time to time but not that often. We have quite a few rivers near where we live and this encourages fog. Today has been very low level cloud fog all day. The electricity pylon near the stables has been fizzing all day.

Oregon is near the Pacific Coast isn't it so also has Maritime type weather. Rains a lot too I hear, like British Columbia.

October 22, 2012 6:30 pm  #76

One of my relatives in Washington State (bordering Oregon on the north, for you Brits) had to remove moss from his roof regularly. The joke is that Mount Rainier is a magnificent site -- if only you could see it. It really is a beautiful area, though.

(Do you have banana slugs in Oregon? I didn't believe in them till I saw one.)

BTW, Davina, where did you find that adorable baby otter photo? I would like to share it with some people not on the forum.

Last edited by veecee (October 22, 2012 6:33 pm)

October 22, 2012 7:20 pm  #77

horserider99 wrote:

@ Davina - Our coast weather is generally rainy, leaving us with very cold vacations. There's another joke that Oregonians have webbed feet.
@ Veecee - I we have banana slugs, but I don't know if they're native or not (and most of the time, they're not as yellow as made out to be). To me, all slugs are bad.

I'm in the northern part of Oregon, so we get a lot more rain than the other parts. And yes, moss and mold are very big problems for us.

Not sure where Portland is. Are you near?

October 22, 2012 7:56 pm  #78

The baby otter picture was, I think, originally tweeted by James Rhodes, the pianist who I follow. Here is the link:

www.imgur.com/sPU9A.png

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Davina (October 22, 2012 7:56 pm)

October 23, 2012 2:07 am  #79

Thank you. Aren't otter-nary people adorable?

Last edited by veecee (October 23, 2012 3:15 am)

October 23, 2012 7:28 am  #80

Can you guess? Yes! FOG!

Board footera