BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 9, 2014 5:18 pm  #361

Re: The weather

Davina wrote:

Just thought I saw a UFO! It was the sun!

Yes, it has been a simply GLORIOUS day today! I've been pottering around the garden making the most of the sunshine! And they predict more good weather next week - yay! I just hope it's not going to be like it was a couple of years ago, when we had a beautiful, mild spring, and then the rest of the year was awful!

Hope everyone has had a fab day too!

March 10, 2014 11:53 am  #362

I just went for a long walk through 2 parks here... 

Look at the blue sky!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 10, 2014 12:41 pm  #363

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

Look at the blue sky!

Lovely shot of a lovely place to walk!

March 10, 2014 12:45 pm  #364

And it is! In a few month's it will be absolutely magical with the light green leaves!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 10, 2014 6:12 pm  #365

So weird. Just a week ago, I was scraping ice off my windscreen in the morning, and today I rode my bike in a t-shirt for an hour (without freezing, I should add). Yo, March, what gives?

March 10, 2014 6:36 pm  #366

TeeJay wrote:

So weird. Just a week ago, I was scraping ice off my windscreen in the morning, and today I rode my bike in a t-shirt for an hour (without freezing, I should add). Yo, March, what gives?

In English, we have an expression, "March comes in like a lion, but goes out like a lamb." That's okay by me, it's only when the ol' lion sticks around all month that I have a problem with it. This time of year, we sure have to appreciate the easy weather days, whenever they roll around.

March 10, 2014 6:37 pm  #367

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

Look at the blue sky!

Aww, pretty! Thanks for sharing.

March 11, 2014 10:28 am  #368

Would be great if you can make a series taken from exactly that spot. Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 11, 2014 12:51 pm  #369

Now there is a beautiful idea! I might just do that actually! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 15, 2014 8:30 pm  #370

It has been a gorgeous March so far in the UK! Really bootiful as we say here in Suffolk!
Another sunny day forecast tomorrow!
Yay!
Wonder how long it's gonna last? And when it's suddenly going to take a turn for the worse!

March 15, 2014 8:48 pm  #371

Yep, it's been a lovely day here in the Midlands!
So nice that I took a trip down to my local town, and my nephew and I played on the park together, and it was just so nice to get out of the house!

But like Spiral said, I wonder how long it's going to last?!

“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

March 24, 2014 1:58 pm  #372

...a tad cooler but the beautiful sunny weather CONTINUES!!! Lovely!!! Everythings budding and blooming and blossoming and looking beautiful!

Ah, I so love this time of year!!!

March 24, 2014 2:07 pm  #373

So cold here in New England still. (I'm about an hour north of Boston).  It's only 21F today, sunny, but breezy and brrrrr!  We still have patches of snow on the ground, and we're still about 3 weeks away from first flowers, budding spring bushes, etc. Yowsa, what a long, cold unpleasant winter this has been-- do they just get worse as I get older, or is  it me??  I can't remember looking forward to spring this much ever before.

March 24, 2014 2:12 pm  #374

ancientsgate wrote:

So cold here in New England still. (I'm about an hour north of Boston).  It's only 21F today, sunny, but breezy and brrrrr!  We still have patches of snow on the ground, and we're still about 3 weeks away from first flowers, budding spring bushes, etc. Yowsa, what a long, cold unpleasant winter this has been-- do they just get worse as I get older, or is  it me??  I can't remember looking forward to spring this much ever before.

I'm so sorry to hear that.  I hope your spring hurries up! If it's any compensation, last year, the UK winter seemed to last forever.

I know exactly what you mean about winters seeming worse as you get older.  I used to love winter but as time has passed (I'm now 42) I just hate being cold and I hate everything being dark and gloomy and looking bare and bleak. I think I see spring as 'youth' now. And that yearning for youth again!!!

March 24, 2014 3:18 pm  #375

SpiralStaircase wrote:

I'm so sorry to hear that.  I hope your spring hurries up! If it's any compensation, last year, the UK winter seemed to last forever.
I know exactly what you mean about winters seeming worse as you get older.  I used to love winter but as time has passed (I'm now 42) I just hate being cold and I hate everything being dark and gloomy and looking bare and bleak. I think I see spring as 'youth' now. And that yearning for youth again!!!  

Here in the States, we have options about where we can live and still be in the US.  We could go live in Florida or Arizona or southern CA or Hawaii and not have to deal with stoopid winter. I think, though, having options makes it harder! I keep asking myself, why in heck do I even live in this part of the world?? If there were nowhere to move to, still in the US but sans winter, maybe I could accept being here more easily. Oh, well, complaining doesn't make it better, does it.

March 24, 2014 3:27 pm  #376

ancientsgate wrote:

SpiralStaircase wrote:

Here in the States, we have options about where we can live and still be in the US.  We could go live in Florida or Arizona or southern CA or Hawaii and not have to deal with stoopid winter. I think, though, having options makes it harder! I keep asking myself, why in heck do I even live in this part of the world?? If there were nowhere to move to, still in the US but sans winter, maybe I could accept being here more easily. Oh, well, complaining doesn't make it better, does it.

Well, here in the UK I know that we're infamous for moaning about the weather, but for most of the time I do like the British weather and its seasons. I don't like it too hot, but neither do I like it too cold either, so the UK is usually ok temperature wise (for me anyway). I also like how the UK weather varies from day to day. You never know quite what to expect. And though we do get storms and strong winds, it's never too extreme. I don't think I could live somewhere that has tornado threats etc.  So, yeah, all in all, I'm quite happy living in England.

It still amazes me how large and varied the US is. We are such a teeny tiny country in comparison!

But I'm sure there are plenty of beautiful things about all the places we live.

Last edited by SpiralStaircase (March 24, 2014 3:35 pm)

March 24, 2014 3:30 pm  #377

But New England conjures up really pretty images in my mind of lovely houses and swirling, russet coloured leaves, for some reason!
Is it a lovely place to live, ancients, despite the dreadful weather?

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

March 24, 2014 3:43 pm  #378

I hope weather gets better over there!

Here it's so sunny and just lovely! I wish I didn't have to keep my curtains drawn. (Sadly the way the buildings are placed here I have a balcony right outside the window from another building and the lady who lives there has a bad habit of glaring into my flat and watch what I'm doing...)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 24, 2014 3:45 pm  #379

Tinks wrote:

But New England conjures up really pretty images in my mind of lovely houses and swirling, russet coloured leaves, for some reason!  Is it a lovely place to live, ancients, despite the dreadful weather?

It's gorgeous here. I live near the seacoast, but my tiny state also has the highest mountain in the Appalachians and the largest lake in New England. So we have all kinds of varied things going on, things to do and see. It's home, so to me, nowhere else looks right or sounds right or smells right, etc. But my big beef with this area is that the seasons aren't evenly distributed. Winter is 5 months long here (mid-November through mid-April, easily), and that's just not fair!  Waaaa!  *smile*

As for leaves, New England, northern New York and eastern Canada are famous for our fall (autumn) foliage, when the sugar maple trees turn colors. Mixed in with all the dark green evergreen trees, the maples turn bright red, yellow and orange, and in a good folage year (warm days, cold nights, and not a lot of rain, which knocks the leaves off the trees), it's spectacular for a couple of weeks each October, starting in the far north and then moving south. Tourists come by the busload to see the foliage, and if they time their trip right, they do get a beautiful leaf show.

March 24, 2014 3:51 pm  #380

It sounds absolutely wonderful - despite the weather!
It's on my Bucket list of places to visit

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

Board footera