BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 1, 2014 11:49 am  #341

Re: The weather

besleybean wrote:

The sun is blasting through the window now...
I have my washing out and I'm just about to put the guinea pigs out.

That's not fair!!!! I want some sun too!

March 2, 2014 3:50 am  #342

ancientsgate wrote:

Russell wrote:

Guhh… It was finally starting to warm up a little, now supposed to drop again, plus get snow this weekend? No more!

Your weekend snow is supposed to be our Monday snow, and ugh. Not warming up here, though-- normal temps of mid to high 30Fs are only 10F here this AM as I write this, and the wind chill, brrrr!  It's the old saying about March, in like a lion, out like a lamb, I guess.  Me, I could do with a few lambs. Baa. 

Seriously!  Was surprised it shot up to the low 50's today??  Then back down to 20's (and snow) tomorrow?   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

March 2, 2014 4:08 am  #343

Fahrenheit measure is confusing. Every time I hear temperatures being reported from US or UK, I think you guys are sweltering when you're actually colder than us Au people

March 2, 2014 8:35 am  #344

I hold my hand up and admit I don't understand any temperature scale...I think I use 'c' for air temp and ''f' for cooking.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 2, 2014 10:51 am  #345

I wish the world used the same system with temperatures... it's really, really confusing! 

Today the weather seems grey and wet here...  Good thing I'm staying in bed; sleeping in so I can watch the Oscars live tonight! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 2, 2014 4:51 pm  #346

saturnR wrote:

Fahrenheit measure is confusing. Every time I hear temperatures being reported from US or UK, I think you guys are sweltering when you're actually colder than us Au people

We Americans have clung to our English measurements of all kinds. Unless you're an auto mechanic, a scientist or a medical person, no one uses metric here. We've never been forced to leave our English measurements behind, so we never have. All signage is in English measurements, as are all cookbooks, all sewing patterns, etc. Kids are taught the metric system in school, just in case they're ever an auto mechanic or scientist or go into medicine, lol, but no one takes it seriously.

I think the Brits are more and more going metric. Understandable, since they're so close to the rest of Europe geographically and culturally. I imagine, like bb said, their cookbooks are still using English measurements. However. In the US, I don't believe you could find a cookbook in which a recipe called for 500 ml of water, rather than a two cups, for instance.

March 2, 2014 4:54 pm  #347

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

I wish the world used the same system with temperatures... it's really, really confusing!

The world does. It's just the US that doesn't, except when it comes to cars, industry, science and medicine. In everyday use, we don't know for centrigrade and meters and liters and grams.

March 2, 2014 8:24 pm  #348

ancientsgate wrote:

We Americans have clung to our English measurements of all kinds.

I don't know about temperature but I know Chinese people also have traditional measures for distance and weight with similar terminology to the UK/US one but physically different sizes.

We also have inches and we sometimes refer to a British inch (don't know if they're the same thing). Our mile is half a kilometre (different to the English mile) and our pound is half a kilogram (don't know if it's the same as the British pound).

We used to have very different time measures. 12 hours in 1 day & 10 days in 1 week. This didn't change until the collapse of the last dynasty at the beginning of the twentieth century.

Last edited by saturnR (March 2, 2014 8:28 pm)

March 3, 2014 6:14 am  #349

saturnR wrote:

...I think you guys are sweltering when you're actually colder than us Au people

*pause*   Oh… oops!   Ha… just typed it that way without thinking!  Yeah… the 'cool' 50's -would- be a bit sweltering. 

ancientsgate wrote:

In everyday use, we don't know for centrigrade and meters and liters and grams.

Except when you mention a 'liter' of soda to someone. 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

March 3, 2014 6:58 am  #350

'Soda', is a big enough problem in itself!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 3, 2014 12:01 pm  #351

Russell wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

In everyday use, we don't know for centrigrade and meters and liters and grams.

Except when you mention a 'liter' of soda to someone.

That's true-- I forgot about soda. Ages ago, it feels like at least 30 years ago, maybe more, the food industry started using the two liter bottle as a standard for the large bottles of soda sold in supermarkets. We still clung to the 12 and 16 ounce sizes for smaller bottles, however, and AFAIK, soda is still packaged that way. Why they went to the one and two and three liter sizes for the bigger bottles, and why that terminology came over into our everyday language, I don't know. Milk (for instance) is still sold in the gallon and half-gallon sizes. Our packaging does state the weight or volume in grams or liters, alongside the English equivalents [in larger print] but no one pays any attention to that-- we say we're going to the store to pick up a gallon of milk or water, but when it's soda, we're going to pick up a two liter bottle.  ???

March 3, 2014 12:05 pm  #352

besleybean wrote:

You call it fizzy drink, right?
In some regions of the US, all soda is called coke. Lower case 'c'.
I find that strange, but the US is a big place, of course, so....
I actually grew up calling soda "tonic", and if I ever hear anyone calling it that these days, I know for sure that they come from my portion of New England. Outside this area, the term tonic for Coke, Pepsi, 7-Up, ginger ale, root beer, etc, is unknown. A true regionalism.
Sorry, this has wandered way far away from the weather. Back to our thread subject now?

March 3, 2014 6:19 pm  #353

Sun! Yay! Sun! Yay! Sun! Yay! *runs around the garden in spring joy*

And they forecast sun for the next two days as well!! Yay!

Hope everyone else has had a luvely jubley sunny day!!!

March 3, 2014 6:21 pm  #354

saturnR wrote:

We used to have very different time measures. 12 hours in 1 day & 10 days in 1 week. This didn't change until the collapse of the last dynasty at the beginning of the twentieth century.

Woah! That is freaky! But fascinating!

March 3, 2014 6:42 pm  #355

besleybean wrote:

Ha…  I knew someone would bring that up!         Soda, pop, cola, coke, fizzy drink, what have you.
But sun!  Yaaay, sun!     (bah… still cold… maybe it'll melt the snow we got)

March 3, 2014 6:44 pm  #356

Russell wrote:

besleybean wrote:

Ha… I knew someone would bring that up! Soda, pop, cola, coke, fizzy drink, what have you.
But sun! Yaaay, sun! (bah… still cold… maybe it'll melt the snow we got)

We've had it quite mild today (for the time of year) here in the UK.
Not that I'm trying to rub it in or anything though!

March 9, 2014 12:07 pm  #357

Just thought I saw a UFO! It was the sun! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 9, 2014 1:51 pm  #358

Davina wrote:

Just thought I saw a UFO! It was the sun!

*smile*

March 9, 2014 2:14 pm  #359

The sun is here; it's so bright and so warm... it makes me all fuzzy inside! Aw!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 9, 2014 3:04 pm  #360

It's sunny here too, but not so warm (11°C). Then again, it actually IS warm for this season ;] I'm maybe weird but I wish I had longer winter with snow than only 3 weeks in January! It's quite uncommon for my country! 

The Road goes ever on and on...

Board footera