BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 12, 2014 4:10 pm  #281

Re: The weather

Davina wrote:

Rain! Wind! Saturated ground! Mud! Pony has mud fever but at least we are not truly flooded like much of the country.

Just curious, what the heck is mud fever? Sounds dreadful.

February 12, 2014 4:28 pm  #282

Here in the Northeast in the US we are expecting what is called a Nor'easter tomorrow.  These are storms that gather down in the southern portion of the country and then come roaring up the east coast.  Depending on the time of year it can be either lots of rain or snow but always high winds.  Tomorrow, in my local area, we're expecting about a foot of snow or more and winds of 50 miles per hour. Luckily I'll be able to work from home in my warm PJ's and hopefully we won't lose power. It's been a long cold winter...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

February 12, 2014 4:32 pm  #283

KeepersPrice wrote:

Here in the Northeast in the US we are expecting what is called a Nor'easter tomorrow. These are storms that gather down in the southern portion of the country and then come roaring up the east coast. Depending on the time of year it can be either lots of rain or snow but always high winds. Tomorrow, in my local area, we're expecting about a foot of snow or more and winds of 50 miles per hour. Luckily I'll be able to work from home in my warm PJ's and hopefully we won't lose power. It's been a long cold winter...

And it's my husband's 70th birthday tomorrow, and all our plans are now in the toilet. It's impossible to make a plan in New England even in the summer, why do we insist on trying to do so in the winter? He'll be working at home tomorrow and probably on Friday as well (Fri AM commute looks as though it'll also be bad), Monday's a holiday. Eeesh.

February 12, 2014 4:35 pm  #284

Here in the east of England it is SCARILY windy!! I am sick of this windy weather!! It's also wet and dark and miserable.  Oh hurry up spring!!!

February 12, 2014 4:41 pm  #285

I hope you're all safe from the extreme weather!!

Today it's almost spring like here... which is crazy if you ask me! Not that I don't love spring, I do! but it seems a bit premature 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 12, 2014 4:47 pm  #286

SpiralStaircase wrote:

Here in the east of England it is SCARILY windy!! I am sick of this windy weather!! It's also wet and dark and miserable.  Oh hurry up spring!!!

The wind makes the power go out around here, especially if there's ice or heavy wet snow. We're still living with the infrastructure that was started back in 1900-- power poles that fall down, wires that snap given the least bit of encouragement, not to mention when trees fall on them. Ugh.

February 13, 2014 8:36 am  #287

Aah the sun is shining! Hello sun! Will you stay a while? No.. oh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 13, 2014 11:08 am  #288

The West and Wales got the worst of it yesterday. Someone I know in Wales lost a whole large shed full of hay as the whole thing took off up and over not another field. Her field shelters have just collapsed like a house of cards. Winds went to well over 100 m.p.h.! Today we have brief respite before another two storms are due to hit over the weekend. Listening to the Shipping Forecast today one area mentioned 'violent storm force 11'. No wonder no fishermen are heading out! So the West is due again to have a month's rain in a day. Listening on the radio this morning to a farmer from Somerset whose fields are 15 feet under water! Much of the West Country and lots of the Thames Valley are severely flooded.  The winds have caused damage nationwide to rail and road links. Red warnings have been used (means risk to life) and COBRA (top government, Armed Forces, etc. committee that meet in times of national emergency etc.) has met a couple of times now.

'Mud fever' is a fungal infection that thrives in wet, mud conditions. In my poor little old pony's case it has attacked the bottom of her back left leg (above the hoof) and has made it sore, scabby and bleeding. So I am treating this so it doesn't get worse. It is not usually fatal, but it can be. I am really hoping that her other legs don't get it!

I hear South Carolina is in a bad way too. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 13, 2014 11:25 am  #289

Stay safe over there! and @Davina I hope your pony gets better, poor thing!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

February 13, 2014 12:35 pm  #290

Here in the South East United States we are iced in bad.  My office has been closed since Monday afternoon.  I have not been heartbroken.  Especially since I have been sick as hell.  No school for my kids either.  Almost the entire city of Atlanta, Georgia is shut down.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 13, 2014 1:08 pm  #291

Davina wrote:

The West and Wales got the worst of it yesterday. Someone I know in Wales lost a whole large shed full of hay as the whole thing took off up and over not another field. Her field shelters have just collapsed like a house of cards. Winds went to well over 100 m.p.h.! Today we have brief respite before another two storms are due to hit over the weekend. Listening to the Shipping Forecast today one area mentioned 'violent storm force 11'. No wonder no fishermen are heading out! So the West is due again to have a month's rain in a day. Listening on the radio this morning to a farmer from Somerset whose fields are 15 feet under water! Much of the West Country and lots of the Thames Valley are severely flooded. The winds have caused damage nationwide to rail and road links. Red warnings have been used (means risk to life) and COBRA (top government, Armed Forces, etc. committee that meet in times of national emergency etc.) has met a couple of times now.

'Mud fever' is a fungal infection that thrives in wet, mud conditions. In my poor little old pony's case it has attacked the bottom of her back left leg (above the hoof) and has made it sore, scabby and bleeding. So I am treating this so it doesn't get worse. It is not usually fatal, but it can be. I am really hoping that her other legs don't get it!

The wind has dropped a lot today and we have sun!
But I know that I shouldn't complain because here in the east we're not doing too badly compared to other areas of the UK. Terrible to hear about all the flooding. I feel so bad for everyone affected.

So sorry to hear about your poor poni, Davina. I hope she recovers swiftly!

February 13, 2014 2:19 pm  #292

@Phantom Lady. It's funny what a couple dozen or so of kilometers can do. I live just south of Helsingør and when I said "light drizzle" it was more "the rain drops are so small they'er not really falling, just hanging in the air".

I hope everyone else is alright wherever you live, and that your pony will be alright Davina.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

February 13, 2014 2:52 pm  #293

Ormond Sacker wrote:

@Phantom Lady. It's funny what a couple dozen or so of kilometers can do. I live just south of Helsingør and when I said "light drizzle" it was more "the rain drops are so small they'er not really falling, just hanging in the air".

I hope everyone else is alright wherever you live, and that your pony will be alright Davina.

It really is! the weather can be so changable! As a kid I lived in the smallest house and yet on one side of it, it could rain and be dry on the other!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

February 13, 2014 5:00 pm  #294

We had that when I lived on Shetland!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 13, 2014 7:59 pm  #295

Davina wrote:

The whole Atlantic seaboard from the Carolinas up to Maine has been having a hard time yesterday and today, and it will continue up north here tomorrow as well. We can deal with it pretty well, but south of DC they don't have the snow removal equipment or salt to deal with the roads, plus no one has the sense to stay off the roads or know how to drive on them if they do go out. It's a mess.

February 14, 2014 3:58 am  #296

Well, here in North Carolina I've enjoyed three days of blissful laziness while I gazed out my windows at a glorious snow storm that allowed me to sit on my sofa and chat on Facebook with friends in other Southeastern states while we watched one movie after another by synchronizing our DVDs.

(What?)

It's really easy.  Just pause on the studio logo at the beginning of the movie and wait for the "Go" message from whoever wants to start things off. Everybody hits "play" at the same time. Miraculously, the movies stay together from beginning to end. We've been doing this for years.  It's fun.

Yesterday I wrote a song dedicated to the joys of watching movies while being snowed in, and after recording it, I put it on Youtube.  It's a variation on the classic, "Let it Snow, let it snow, let it snow."

It's called Let 'em Show -- (referring to the movies you watch while you're snowed in.)

The lyrics are below, and you can click on the Youtube link to hear my golden voice showing Wayne Newton how to deliver a powerhouse song.

Enjoy.

Let 'em Show (the movies you love to watch.)

Oh the weather outside is frightful
But our movies are so delightful
And since we've no place to go
Let 'em show! Let 'em show! Let 'em show!

It doesn't show signs of melting                    
And the beers, we are a' belting
The lights are turned way down low             
Let 'em show! Let 'em show! Let 'em show!

When we finally hit the sack             
It's a shame that it had to be stopped            
We'll be stuffed with our favorite snacks                 
Mostly that corn that we popped!

Well, there rolling the closing credits                       
And those flicks are still our fetish
But since we love movies so!            
Let 'em show, let 'em show, let 'em show!

Last edited by Bruce Cook (February 14, 2014 5:01 am)

A good debate is like a fencing match — you don't have to win to get a good workout.

February 14, 2014 8:02 am  #297

What beautiful pictures, @Bruce!! And I do love watching a movie with someone over the net; my online boyfriend and I used to do that! I will listen to your song as soon as I get home btw!

Here in Denmark there's frost in the air, all the puddles are frozen and I just love that smell of the frostbit air! Beautiful!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

February 14, 2014 8:44 am  #298

Ormond Sacker wrote:

Totally random, insignificant comment, but I've actually been to Helsingør. A friend of mine used to live in Copenhagen (she's back in Germany now), and I made sure I visited her at least once a year. One time we took a train up to Helsingør to visit the castle. Really lovely trip, I have fond memories.

February 14, 2014 8:49 am  #299

TeeJay wrote:

Ormond Sacker wrote:

Totally random, insignificant comment, but I've actually been to Helsingør. A friend of mine used to live in Copenhagen (she's back in Germany now), and I made sure I visited her at least once a year. One time we took a train up to Helsingør to visit the castle. Really lovely trip, I have fond memories.

I have been there a few times with my family; especially the castle is a beautiful place! Hamlet's castle! it's one of the more beautiful places here in Denmark!

I just learned that we're getting the aftermath of the English storm tomorrow; we're lucky though as it will have decreased a lot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

February 14, 2014 8:59 am  #300

Thanks for  the best wishes to little old Annie guys! She had her legs washed with good old Head and Shoulders yesterday and some potion put on. I'll do the same today.

Lots of snow and ice on the Eastern Seaboard then. Love the song Bruce!

Take care everyone!

Last edited by Davina (February 14, 2014 8:59 am)

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera