BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 20, 2013 9:21 pm  #261

Re: The weather

We had a heavy thunderstorm today. The sky was dark green.  Afterwards, wide parts of the city were flooded - even the underground stations. I had to wade down the stairs...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 21, 2013 10:12 am  #262

tobeornot221b wrote:

We had a heavy thunderstorm today. The sky was dark green.  Afterwards, wide parts of the city were flooded - even the underground stations. I had to wade down the stairs...

Wow that's really bad. You must have been absolutely drenched. I hope you got back in where it was dry safely.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

June 21, 2013 5:58 pm  #263

I love the weather. It's so...changeable!

Actually, the weather has been a character in the saga that is my life recently. We make hay usually twice per year, spring and fall. The best hay is in spring, so it's most important that it not get wet during the process. Well, my hay men came last Saturday and cut, then let it lay to dry on Sunday, planning to come back on Monday. The weather forecast was for heavy thunderstorms starting in the afternoon on Monday, which would have given plenty of time for them to bale the hay and get it in the barn.

Well, they didn't show up until almost noon, claiming they had a flat tire (tyre?) on one of the tractors. Through a comedy of errors that continued all through the day, they only made 11 bales before the rain began. They finally finished baling the rest yesterday, but it is of poor quality because of the rain.

So much for my spring hay. Needless to say, I'll be using someone else in the fall.

And if anyone's still reading to the point, bless you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 22, 2013 1:26 am  #264

Tantalus wrote:

Well, they didn't show up until almost noon, claiming they had a flat tire (tyre?) on one of the tractors

In SC, it's a tire. *grin*

June 22, 2013 6:03 am  #265

Tantalus wrote:

Actually, the weather has been a character in the saga that is my life recently. We make hay usually twice per year, spring and fall. The best hay is in spring, so it's most important that it not get wet during the process. Well, my hay men came last Saturday and cut, then let it lay to dry on Sunday, planning to come back on Monday. The weather forecast was for heavy thunderstorms starting in the afternoon on Monday, which would have given plenty of time for them to bale the hay and get it in the barn.

Well, they didn't show up until almost noon, claiming they had a flat tire (tyre?) on one of the tractors. Through a comedy of errors that continued all through the day, they only made 11 bales before the rain began. They finally finished baling the rest yesterday, but it is of poor quality because of the rain.

So much for my spring hay. Needless to say, I'll be using someone else in the fall.

Its 'tyre' in the UK at least (I hope. Otherwise I've have just made an a**e of myself.)

With issues like that, no matter what the job is it's always a case of 'we will look back on this and laugh' but at the time you are *never* laughing... Unless of course it is in a bitter, ironic fashion.

It is hot this morning but not as muggy. It still really needs to thunder over here to get any relief though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

June 22, 2013 11:41 am  #266

Tantalus wrote:

We had to help our neighbor bail his hay about two or three times a year back where I grew up in Tennessee.  He had a small field of about 11 acres that sat between our house and his house, and we'd play in that field all the time.  We once were bailing and found a baby rabbit.  We took it inside and after a day, we let it go again (to keep it from getting killed by the bailer).  Years ago, he and his wife passed away, and their children sold the land to a developer.  Now there's 13 houses and a road crammed on those 11 acres (6 of the houses run along my mom's property, with their backyards exposed her hers).  We were so upset.  One of her neighbors recently complained about the chickens in her yard...but they've always had chickens, so they were grandfathered in (as well as horses, dogs, cats, rabbits, sometimes ducks, etc).  So then my parents got a rooster and built the cage right behind the woman's house.  I love how these people will move into a subdivision built in the middle of a bunch of farmland and then complain that people have farm animals.  Oh well, hopefully they will enjoy the rooster!

Ha, so that was definitely rambling a bit.  But I guess that's what happens these days...every acre has to have a couple of houses crammed on it.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

June 24, 2013 1:33 pm  #267

Same here. Paddocks being built on and a large field opposite where I live which is prime arable farming land has been sold of and 600 houses and a Primary school are going to be built on it! The joy!

Weather for hay has been terrible here since last year. First cut not done yet. I've got a delivery of last year's hay next weekend and I'll be asking the farmer what his hay forecast is. Not very sunny weather and then rain does not make for good, plentiful hay. Having a contractor let you down is no fun either!

People who move into the country and complain about animal noises and smells are priceless aren't they!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 31, 2013 8:40 am  #268

Because I'm a Brit...a week ago exactly we had extremely heavy, heavy rain. This resulted in massive flooding problems in our local area. A family had to be rescued from a sinking car (the idiot father had decided his 4x4 could go through obviously deep water. A friend was flooded out in their ground floor and others had their bedroom ceiling collapse. All local railway bridges flooded beneath and then had to be safety checked. The sea front was like a massive waterfall etc. 11 years since the last really bad flooding and this was worse. The rain was monsoon like.  I'll see if I can find some YouTube footage to post.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 31, 2013 4:40 pm  #269

Davina wrote:

Because I'm a Brit...a week ago exactly we had extremely heavy, heavy rain. This resulted in massive flooding problems in our local area. A family had to be rescued from a sinking car (the idiot father had decided his 4x4 could go through obviously deep water. A friend was flooded out in their ground floor and others had their bedroom ceiling collapse. All local railway bridges flooded beneath and then had to be safety checked. The sea front was like a massive waterfall etc. 11 years since the last really bad flooding and this was worse. The rain was monsoon like. I'll see if I can find some YouTube footage to post.

I live near the coast of the northeastern US, and we sometimes get hurricanes that make their way up the eastern seaboard from the Caribbean, hitting New England, big time. This time of year is when we usually have to worry about such things, August through October or so.  Do you get hurricane-type storms over on your side of the pond? What you went through with this latest storm sounds like that kind of thing. Scary, like Mother Nature gone wild!

August 31, 2013 7:08 pm  #270

This one was not so much storm, there were no really high winds but the rain was truly torrential. Because our soil here is clay, when it dries out it goes like concrete and cracks. We have had a prolonged period of hot, dry weather, so when the rain can pouring down it worse worse because it kind of just ram off the surface of the parched ground.

The last really, really high winds we had, properly hurricane force was  in  October 1987. There was wide destruction made worse because the tree had not lost their leaves.

I gather the 'colours' of the trees in New England are fantastic!

August 31, 2013 8:35 pm  #271

Davina wrote:

I gather the 'colours' of the trees in New England are fantastic!

Yes, the sugar maple trees here can be truly magical in the fall (usually about the first couple weeks of October, in my area), when they feel like cooperating, lol. Bright orange, yellow, red (true primary colors of orange, yellow and red, like crayon colors), mixed in with the green of the evergreens and other trees, it's gorgeous. But in order for us to get a really spectacular foliage season, we have to have warmish days, crisp, cold nights and not a lot of wind and rain; the wind and rain knock all the leaves right to the ground-- no foliage season worth looking at, if the timing is bad. So for us who live here, who are admittedly jaded and have seen colored leaves come and we've seen them go, about one in ten years is outstanding. The rest of the years are merely pretty. Tourists probably see it ALL as spectacular, lol.

September 1, 2013 7:01 pm  #272

We get good colour here too.,I am lucky as I have a very large Japanese acer, grape vines, horse chestnut, oak and some staghorn sumach in the back garden and the colours are amazing!

February 11, 2014 12:36 am  #273

I hope all our friends along the Thames are safe from the flooding. Take care.

February 11, 2014 8:09 am  #274

^So do I! There was a massive flood in connection to a storm here in Denmark a few months ago; luckily none of my family were affected (other than my mother's aunts ancient outhouse falling over...) but water can do so much damage!

... Right here the weather is cold and grey. A little boring if you ask me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 11, 2014 10:56 am  #275

I've noticed that the bizarre weather is moving its way up north in the UK.

It was raining, then it turned to sleet, and now it's currently snowing!

“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

February 11, 2014 12:24 pm  #276

I just looked out the window, and OMG its snowing!

I was thinking of putting my faux fur coat back in the closet and opt for a lighter option; and now it snows all of a sudden! It's all right though, I love snow! (Just not when there's a hole in my shoes... but you can't have it all)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 11, 2014 1:53 pm  #277

Aha, now it's snowing. Rather confusing weather today.

“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

February 11, 2014 2:12 pm  #278

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

I was thinking of putting my faux fur coat back in the closet and opt for a lighter option; and now it snows all of a sudden! It's all right though, I love snow! (Just not when there's a hole in my shoes... but you can't have it all)

Snowing? Wonder where in the country you are? All I can manage here is a light drizzle, so no complaints. After all I'm not the Wicked Witch of the West, getting wet won't kill me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

February 11, 2014 4:36 pm  #279

Ormond Sacker wrote:

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

Snowing? Wonder where in the country you are? All I can manage here is a light drizzle, so no complaints. After all I'm not the Wicked Witch of the West, getting wet won't kill me.

I live in the heart of Sjælland; the snow didn't settle but my coat was white by the time I reached the bus-stop! a light drizzle would have been fine by me too; I love rain! (well not since my feet get soaked becase of my boots)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

February 12, 2014 3:52 pm  #280

Rain! Wind! Saturated ground! Mud! Pony has mud fever  but at least we are not truly flooded like much of the country.

Board footera