BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 29, 2014 3:34 pm  #1

David

In another thread, I already posted this picture that shows John being kind of a cloned version of David who admits having been Mary's boyfriend in the past.

At the wedding, he doesn't just make it to the top table (only allowed to Mary's non-haters!) but even sits closest to Mary. Imo this can't fully be explained as David being the Usher. Then little Archie would be expected to sit there, too.
No, I'm sure there's more to David than meets the eye. We haven't seen or heard the last of him.

Here's the picture of the top table:

Last edited by tobeornot221b (June 29, 2014 3:35 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 29, 2014 3:35 pm  #2

Re: David

It seems it must be intentional.  They're even dressed similar.

However we all know that John is much better looking.l

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 29, 2014 3:53 pm  #3

Yes, the whole David thing is quite intriguing. Of course one might argue that they are playing the scene with Sherlock for the fun of it, showing how serious Sherlock takes his task and how he goes about it in his typical fashion. But his position at this very table is quite conspicuous. 

And of course there is his outward similarity to John, a means the creators also employ with Mr Holmes/John and Sherlock/Tom. I am sure that this is no coincidence. 

And there is the question why Mary needed a shoulder to cry on when she is so happy with John. Because I take it that David offered his support when she was already in a relationship with John. Had it been before his time, Sherlockw would not have bothered with threatening David. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 1, 2014 7:48 pm  #4

Funny, I never noticed what a big similarity there is between John and David - but now that you posted their photos it´s so obvious it practically gorges out your eyes. 
I agree, this is hardly a coincidence.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 4, 2014 2:56 am  #5

I thought the "shoulder to cry on" thing might have taken place before John, when some other relationship ended...but now we know Mary didn't have time for a lot of relationships as Mary. On the other hand she hasn't known right from the start of when she changed her name. 

But it's a good point that Sherlock wouldn't have acted the way he did with David if he hadn't viewed him as a possible threat to John. The speculation has been raised about Mary's baby not being John's. That would certainly be a convenient way to get Mary and the baby out of the picture...but I wonder if, if Sherlock knew that, would he have been so protective of Mary and the baby?

I think Sherlock would be angrier with a woman for betraying John than for hiding her past as an assassin! Or, more selfishly, he might take advantage of the fact to get her out of John's life. Conversely, if the baby is John's, Sherlock might have strong feelings about it which explain why he protects Mary in spite of everything else...this baby is part someone he loves, and he doesn't seem to mind kids in general either, judging by his relationship with Archie.

Board footera