BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 28, 2014 11:51 am  #1

How to deduce a left handed from his hand writing?

Is it possible?

June 30, 2014 2:06 pm  #2

Re: How to deduce a left handed from his hand writing?

It was easier to spot back in the day as the ink would be smudged, as your hand went over the recently applied ink; rather than away from it.

June 30, 2014 3:06 pm  #3

Perhaps the slant of the letters might give it away (?)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 30, 2014 3:07 pm  #4

I only know by 'ticks'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 30, 2014 3:13 pm  #5

besleybean wrote:

I only know by 'ticks'.

Ah ha, I would fool you, then. Drives people nuts for some reason that I do my ticks/checkmarks 'backwards.' I more right handed than left, but share tasks equally between both hands and do some with either. I bet not even Sherlock could deduce my handedness because it's so confusing.

When I write with my right hand, the writing slopes towards the right. When I write with my left, it slopes towards the left. That's usually the tell-tale sign as to the handedness of the writer. And the ink often gets smudged when you write with your left hand, even with a ballpoint point, unless you've had it drilled into you to position your hand under the writing, which is uncomfortable.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

July 1, 2014 4:06 am  #6

Yep, the slant on the letters, and 'backward' ticks give it away. I'm left handed also and yes, with poor pens you can smudge but not so much anymore.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

July 17, 2014 6:09 pm  #7

You can tell if if their left handed or right handed very distinictive , you can also tell if someones happy or sad when rightintg and how mucn time they spent by the puncation , happy is slanted forward and sad its when its slanted backwards.

~#Consultivedominatrix#~ "Heros Don't exist , If they did I wouldn't be one of them"

January 3, 2015 9:41 pm  #8

Off the top of my head as someone who is left-handed, ink/lead smears would be a giveaway, though TBH normal pen/paper doesn't tend to smear much. Some lefties write in backhand, in which the letters tilt to the left rather than to the right. However, plenty of left-handed people will write by twisting their wrists so that (assuming the paper is perpendicular to the desk) their knuckles point to the top of the page. But then others will turn the paper a bit counterclockwise instead of bending their wrist. On a spiral notebook, a lefty is obviously more like to write so that the spiral isn't digging into their wrist. In terms of things like quick notes, I would say that a left-handed person is far more likely to scrawl something in the top right corner than the top left because they can rest their hand on the paper rather than the writing surface.

As far as the person themselves go, if you look closely at the outer edge of my left ring finger, you could probably tell that I write with my left hand because the skin is a bit harder. I would think right-handed people would have the same thing. If they write with pencil, they might have a silvery smudge between their bottom knuckle and their wrist.

if there are any other lefties that disagree, I would be happy to hear because I'm using myself as a reference.

Board footera