BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 21, 2014 4:21 am  #1

Rectify

I rarely watch American television nowadays, but every once in a show like Rectify comes along to give me hope in American programming. The series is about Daniel, who has been released on a technicality after spending 19 years on death row. The show's 2nd season just started last night, with the episode being available on Netflix.

The first season takes place over the course of just six days and explores the repercussions of Daniel's time in prison on himself, his community, his family, and the family of the girl he is accused of having raped and murdered. Tensions mount quickly as person, political, and economic pressures are brought to light after Daniel's release.

The series is set in a tiny, claustrophic Georgia community near Atlanta, full of bigots and decent folks, all of which are too complex to be caricatures. The atmosphere of the show is very dark and broody.

Many of you will recognize one of the stars of the show, Adelaide Clemens, who played Valentine in 'Parade's End', especially with the two roles being similar. She plays Daniels very innocent and extremely pious step-sister-in-law and brings a much needed drop of sweetness to the show even as she is possibly its saddest character.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

Board footera