BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 17, 2014 11:54 am  #61

Re: What non-Johnlock ships do you ship?

Having a romance with side characters wouldn't detract from the show IMO. It only has to be shown on screen very occasionally. Such as the romance between Mrs Hudson and Mr Chattergee (however you spell that), and that scene where she was hurling things at him in Speedy's as John and Sherlock were leaving for Baskerville. Kind of a priceless moment. The romance in itself was unncessary for plot development and not actually important, but it was still entertaining and worth having in. I'm not saying that a romance between Molly and Lestrade would be as small or as insignificant as that, but I'm just giving an example of HOW these things can be made to work within the larger overall story arc. It could even be worked in so that it ties in with a case somehow. There's lots of ways to write it so that it actually ADDS to the show rather than taking away from it.

Molly and Sherlock: they can be very cute in fan fics and in AUs, and I have roleplayed it before, but I can't imagine it happening in the real world of the show. It would just seem slightly odd and I can't see it as a natural character progression for Sherlock - even the more humanised one. I don't think he'd be looking to date anyone in particular, which is why I can't even imagine him in a relationship with John.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 17, 2014 11:55 am  #62

What makes you think she is underestimated here? Many have written about her importance in helping Sherlock fake his death, being there for him, seeing through him when Joes does not (but in a loving non-Mary way), slapping him out of fury and disappointment and compassion, being there in his mind palace to help him survive - what else do you want? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 17, 2014 11:55 am  #63

She definitely is a very important character, I loved every single scene with her in TRF, for example. When she talks about her father to Sherlock and you can practically see how uncomfortable he is with that because he knows it's really about him... such a beautiful scene.
But for me this has nothing to do with Molly and Sherlock getting together and is for another thread.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 17, 2014 12:05 pm  #64

Mattlocked wrote:

And an "odd" romance with Sherlock and Molly? No. It's just a feeling, it really would be "odd". So odd that I wouldn't want to see it.
I would prefer Janine or even Irene then. *shrugs*

oh, come on, seeing Sherlock stammer and repeating " well, i mean..." in a Molly-like way, in front of Molly, just for one scene, could be really, fun, yeah!
 A bit like the scene when John asked him to be his best man!

June 17, 2014 12:15 pm  #65

yes, let's not mix think.
The fact that i think she's often underestimated has nothing to do with the fact that, if I can imagine a relationship, it's likely Sherlock and Molly.

And, i agree, it worked for Mrs Hudson and " Mr Chattergee" but you never see him. It can't be the same with Molly and Lestrade who are both actual characters of the show. It would be non sense to "only" say " they're together"..., and i really don't see what it could bring to the show( except, maybe, a funny scene when Sherlock would guess they're together and they'd be embarassed, but it's still a bit cheesy).

June 17, 2014 12:24 pm  #66

NatureNoHumansNo wrote:

... it worked for Mrs Hudson and " Mr Chattergee" but you never see him.

Just for the record ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

June 17, 2014 12:26 pm  #67

is that actually him?

June 17, 2014 12:30 pm  #68

Seems so. Why not?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

June 17, 2014 12:34 pm  #69

because she has discovered about the wife (-ves).  So, it's not unlikekely, that, 3 years after, she's not dating him

June 17, 2014 12:35 pm  #70

NatureNoHumansNo wrote:

yes, let's not mix think.
The fact that i think she's often underestimated has nothing to do with the fact that, if I can imagine a relationship, it's likely Sherlock and Molly.).

No, but it was you who made a connection there!

NatureNoHumansNo wrote:

And, i agree, it worked for Mrs Hudson and " Mr Chattergee" but you never see him. It can't be the same with Molly and Lestrade who are both actual characters of the show. It would be non sense to "only" say " they're together"..., and i really don't see what it could bring to the show( except, maybe, a funny scene when Sherlock would guess they're together and they'd be embarassed, but it's still a bit cheesy).

So Sherlock and Molly would be funny, but Greg and Molly would be only cheesy?
I actually didn't see a single cheesy scene so far, so I would trust in Moftiss to do it right. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 17, 2014 12:41 pm  #71

well, sorry if I kinda made a connection, but these are really two different subjects for me.

And yes, i do think some options would be better, for the show,  than others...yes,I do think so,  indeed ;)

June 17, 2014 12:43 pm  #72

NatureNoHumansNo wrote:

because she has discovered about the wife (-ves).  So, it's not unlikekely, that, 3 years after, she's not dating him

But Chattergee is an indian name ... this man seems to be from India ... or do you think Mrs. Hudson prefers to date Indians? (not the American ones)

(Tony Hadley)

June 17, 2014 12:47 pm  #73

I think having her appear with him at the wedding was a nice in-joke. And it shows that there is hardly any coincidence in the show and that nearly everything has a meaning and might be revisited again later. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 17, 2014 12:48 pm  #74

NatureNoHumansNo wrote:

And yes, i do think some options would be better, for the show,  than others...yes,I do think so,  indeed ;)

Ha, same here! So we finally agree. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 17, 2014 12:51 pm  #75

I know quite well which option I would prefer and which would be good for the show (and for which there is lots and lots of evidence). 

June 17, 2014 12:52 pm  #76

NatureNoHumansNo wrote:

Oh yes, absolutely, same here. And it's possibly a question of personal taste which option(s) each one of us prefers. 
I think Sherlock Holmes made a valid point earlier by saying that a relationship between Molly and Lestrade could be shown in an unobtrusive way in connection with a case. It wouldn't take center stage, but it could still be there without being cheesy. But of course, for fans who don't want to see this at all, not under any circumstances, Mofftiss could do whatever they wanted to, it just wouldn't work for those fans.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 17, 2014 12:53 pm  #77

SusiGo wrote:

I think having her appear with him at the wedding was a nice in-joke. And it shows that there is hardly any coincidence in the show and that nearly everything has a meaning and might be revisited again later. 

yes, maybe! we'll see, but why not.
It's been said that Mrs Hudson's character will be developping, so, why not.

June 17, 2014 12:59 pm  #78

SolarSystem wrote:

I think Sherlock Holmes made a valid point earlier by saying that a relationship between Molly and Lestrade could be shown in an unobtrusive way in connection with a case. It wouldn't take center stage, but it could still be there without being cheesy. But of course, for fans who don't want to see this at all, not under any circumstances, Mofftiss could do whatever they wanted to, it just wouldn't work for those fans.

As i said before, i'd be OK with anything is well written and well plotted.

But once again, if Molly and Lestrade were dating, and the main work  for the writers is to make this romance unobtrusive for the show, well...maybe better that they don't date at all, no ?

June 17, 2014 1:02 pm  #79

Do the writers have to invest that much efforts (main work?) to make something "unobtrusive"???

Last edited by gently69 (June 17, 2014 1:02 pm)

(Tony Hadley)

June 17, 2014 1:04 pm  #80

i have to go to the hospital, right now ( not Bart's ), i'll answer tonight.

Board footera