BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 17, 2014 5:09 am  #21

Re: What non-Johnlock ships do you ship?

TeeJay wrote:

I mean... how often does it happen that you're such close friends with all your colleagues that you "want" to repeatedly spend time with them after work? There is exactly one colleague from my workplace that I sometimes hang out with, but we don't work on the same projects and don't see each other every day. Or is that a typically German thing, that you tend to keep work separated from your private life?

I'm not sure if anything like a 'typically German thing' exists at all, but when it comes to colleagues spending time after work together, I think this happens more often than one might think, even in Germany. I know of colleagues in several divisions in my workplace who go for a drink, do sports together or even go away for weekend trips on a regular basis. It probably depends on the people you're working with, on what you want or don't want yourself and maybe even on the working atmosphere in general.
I have one colleague who became a really close friend over the years, and I wouldn't wanna miss that for the world.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 17, 2014 7:11 am  #22

Mummy and Daddy Holmes, the only other ship I want to see more of.

June 17, 2014 7:32 am  #23

I agree with TeeJay
There's no indications that the characters hang out together like a band of teenagers.
It seems that John and  Lestrade or John and Molly didn't see each other during Sherlock's absence.
Molly often mention "friends" that none of them knows ( lunch date/ met Tom trough friends) John had several dates with girls he met somewhere else ( doctors, teachers, etc...)

June 17, 2014 7:34 am  #24

NatureNoHumansNo wrote:

Molly and Lestrade would just be non sense. It  wouldn't bring anything in the show to have two supporrting characters dating , Sherlock not a soap opera.

I can't follow your arguments. Why can't it be a nice accessory part? I don't think it would make a soap opera at all. What did Moffat say? It is not a detective show but 'a show about a detective'. And imo the supporting characters also are very important, because especially Molly and also Lestrade are really close to Sherlock.

Last edited by gently69 (June 17, 2014 7:35 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

June 17, 2014 7:51 am  #25

well, yes, it's 'a show about a detective' and  showing a romance between two supporting characters would be loss of time.
Bringing romance in the show can be interessting if it concerns the two main characters ( John and Sherlock)  because it involves evolutions in the central relationship between them.
So showing Molly and Lestrade having a romance wouldnt bring anything else than seeing Molly with Tom, or showing mrs Hudson dating.

June 17, 2014 8:02 am  #26

NatureNoHumansNo wrote:

So showing Molly and Lestrade having a romance wouldnt bring anything else than seeing Molly with Tom, or showing mrs Hudson dating.

Right ... but that don't bother me. And showing it this way wouldn't also be a loss of time then, would it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

June 17, 2014 8:05 am  #27

Hm... So in a show about a detective you only show the detective?  How boring that would be. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 17, 2014 8:07 am  #28

I would not mind seeing this either. Of course it is not at the centre of the show but as someone said in the DVD extras there is a sort of growing family around Sherlock and John. So why not show in passing what happens in their lives? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 17, 2014 8:15 am  #29

ok, but let's just imagine: they're dating... and...what?

June 17, 2014 8:25 am  #30

Isn't it enough to see them happy? I like the characters and that would be enough for me.

(Tony Hadley)

June 17, 2014 8:31 am  #31

As André Gide,  a french writer,  said  : "Often with good sentiments we produce bad literature."  ;)

June 17, 2014 8:33 am  #32

So you think this romance would be bad for the show?

Or is it because you prefer the Sherlolly part?

Last edited by gently69 (June 17, 2014 8:36 am)

(Tony Hadley)

June 17, 2014 8:58 am  #33

Well I don't prefer one relationship to another in the show.
My only expectation is that the show keeps one beeing as good as it's been until now.
the main romance that has been showed : John's engagement and wedding,  has been well done because
1/ it showed how John ( and the rest of the world) had moved on while Sherlock was away.
2/ as an aftermath, Sherlock had to adapt himself to these facts ( John engaged, molly engaged...) whereas, before, these people had to adapt themselves to Sherlock..
This was one of  the central plot of the third serie...
Now, i can imagine that in serie 4, Sherlock is gonna be still more humanised (1/  i think it's been said by the writers, 2/ the show couldn't really return to a "less humanised sherlock", aniway), and it's been mentionned that Molly's engagement is over, and she has grown stronger.
So i think it could be funny to see Molly and Sherlock have a kind of "weird romance" (it could also be with someone else, but I don't see really who...at least, not Irene or Jeanine) without this romance becomes the centre of the show.

June 17, 2014 9:05 am  #34

Yes, but that is exactly what I can see with Greg and Molly, too.
Nothing as big as the wedding of course. Not as the centre of the show. Just a small side-story. I still can't see why not. Doesn't a main story also need side stories?

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 17, 2014 9:10 am  #35

Good point, Mattlocked.

Of course a romance between Molly and Lestrade isn't necessary for the developement of the show but also not disturbing.

(Tony Hadley)

June 17, 2014 9:11 am  #36

i add : ther show writers have boundaries : 3X90 mn, and it must include : solving murders, developping interesting vilains characters, stay a bit focused ont the central relationship, showing evolutions of the main characters : John and Sherlock.
So, yes, I think showing a romance between Molly and Lestrade would be a loss of time, and seeing them together as a "life goes on without Sherlock" argument would'nt bring anithing new in the show (in that case, it would have been better to see them together in the serie 3 instead of Molly with Tom).
Fanfictions can focus on spin-off and develop romance between supporting characters, show Molly and Lestrade together, or even Mycroft an Mrs Hudson dating ...but not the show itself.

June 17, 2014 9:15 am  #37

Well it's good not to agree in everything.

(Tony Hadley)

June 17, 2014 9:21 am  #38

Mattlocked wrote:

Yes, but that is exactly what I can see with Greg and Molly, too.
Nothing as big as the wedding of course. Not as the centre of the show. Just a small side-story. I still can't see why not. Doesn't a main story also need side stories?

Exactly, and side-stories also bring some new potential for the main story, if it's done properly. It might be quite interesting to see Sherlock's reaction to Molly and Greg being together. Just showing Molly and Greg being together wouldn't be all that interesting, indeed, but showing this in connection with Sherlock and John... could be a completely different effect.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 17, 2014 9:22 am  #39

it cant be so ;)
because if i'm not a sherlolly shipper, or anyone else shipper, i'm still less a Johnlocker

June 17, 2014 9:25 am  #40

SolarSystem wrote:

Just showing Molly and Greg being together wouldn't be all that interesting, indeed, but showing this in connection with Sherlock and John... could be a completely different effect.

how do you see that, then?

Board footera