BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 10, 2014 9:08 pm  #1

I am not gay! = I am gay ? (League of Gentlemen // Sherlock)

Phil is one of the characters played by Mark Gatiss in The League of Gentlemen. He is an actor in a theater company called Legz Akimbo, and he is openly gay. Legz Akimbo gives a performance called "Everybody out" (a play about homosexuality and coming out). Phil explains how he was bullied at school because he was different and how later, he went to a club and danced all night.

There his two co-workers arrive on stage in very stereotyped gay outfits (leather, mustache...) and dance along with him.

One of them tells him:
"Hey, haven't seen you before"
To which Phil hurries to reply, with his hands up:
"I'M NOT GAY!"
Ollie (Legz Akimbo's leader, played by Reece Shearsmith) replies:
"That's cool, I'm not judging you! We get all kinds in here! Straights, gays, lesbians..." (Rings a bell? "Dont worry, there's all sorts round here. Mrs Turner next door's got married ones" )

I'm pretty sure the running joke in Sherlock was inspired by this scene (maybe Mark has already stated this in an interview but I haven't heard about it then). But then, what might we deduce about that? That John is in denial just like Phil was???? There is hope, Johnlockers fellows! Hehe!!!

Nah, even though I'm a Johnlocker, I don't really think John is gay, but I do find the parallel funny

I don't have a link for this particular scene of TLOG, I tried to upload it on Youtube a couple weeks ago, but it got blocked due to a copyrights issue.

Although you can see it (with no sound, just music) in a video I made, it's from 0.36" to 0.47" and when you see Mark with his hands up, that's when he says "I'm not gay!"

Last edited by Punch me in the face (June 10, 2014 9:41 pm)

Just like old times...

June 10, 2014 9:36 pm  #2

Re: I am not gay! = I am gay ? (League of Gentlemen // Sherlock)

Amusing.
TLOG...cut with Sherlock.... very lol.

Tho I think...the running joke..."not gay"....has been around in many forms...since...comedy began.

June 10, 2014 9:43 pm  #3

Unfortunately, the video is not available here, sorry 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 13, 2014 7:13 pm  #4

I love this skit!

July 3, 2014 6:10 am  #5

I loved The League of Gentlemen! 

I don't think John is gay.  Mycroft, on the other hand, I assume is?  I loved your video!

July 3, 2014 6:43 am  #6

I do not think John is gay either but bisexual. He is clearly attracted to women but also to Sherlock (and some say he once was to Sholto). Mark Gatiss is not only an openly gay, policitically active man but has also written a series of three novels about a bisexual spy called Lucifer Box. So this is a subject he is quite familiar with. 
As for the running joke - I have written elsewhere on this forum that it would be quite poor writing to flog it to death over nine episodes if it was not more than a joke. And I think that the writing is excellent. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 3, 2014 9:00 am  #7

Funny video. And quite..... "extraordinary". 
I like that idea of the connection to the running joke in Sherlock.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 3, 2014 11:07 am  #8

Nicely done video. Made me laugh out loud with the cut-overs to Sherlock.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

Board footera