BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 10, 2014 1:37 pm  #1

Benedict narrates: Modern slave labour in Thai fishing industry

Benedict has narrated a video for the Guardian about the horrible conditions of modern slave labourers in Thailand (please read warning if you are very sensitive):

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/video/2014/jun/10/slavery-supermarket-supply-trail-prawns-video?CMP=twt_gu

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 10, 2014 3:04 pm  #2

Re: Benedict narrates: Modern slave labour in Thai fishing industry

Yes, but slavery is soooo long ago - and so far away. Isn't it? And what can we do? Nothing, right? *irony off* 

Last edited by Mattlocked (June 10, 2014 3:07 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 10, 2014 5:04 pm  #3

I feel so sick now. 

Having just seen 12 Years a Slave... this is just sick.

I'm glad Ben gave his voice to this, everyone should know about this, this can't happen! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

June 11, 2014 3:55 pm  #4

It is truly appalling isn't it. As Steve McQueen said at the Oscar ceremony, slavery is very much alive today.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 15, 2014 12:31 am  #5

I rarely buy prawns but today I did... but not before I had checked the labels thorgoughly to find it weren't fished in Thailand, but in the Northsea...

I still felt a bit guilty for buying them, I mean who's to say they didn't use that fishmeal... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

June 15, 2014 6:47 am  #6

It's almost beyond belief
I hope this story reaches enough people to make a difference.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

June 15, 2014 7:21 am  #7

Modern day slavery is just one of the curses to blight our world.
Humans can be horribly cruel tio each other.

Last edited by besleybean (June 15, 2014 7:22 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 15, 2014 8:35 am  #8

This must have been what he was visiting The Guardian earlier for, perhaps? That'll explain why he didn't want any pics or anything like that. Highly serious subject.
I got so far with this before I had to switch off. It disgusted me. I like prawns, but I'll never eat one again unless I am absolutely sure where it's coming from. Poor people. Poor, poor people.

I'm clueing for looks

June 15, 2014 9:56 am  #9

I'm vegetarian anyway...which I like to think stops me supporting some animal/human horrors.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 15, 2014 5:00 pm  #10

This just adds fuel to the 'you get what you pay for' and until the shoppers stop buying cheap (and I totally understand about financial pressures!) the manufacturers and suppliers won't do anything about it.  Disappointed in the Co-operative who I always thought were ethical providers.

Also concerned about feeding fish (trash) to fish.

Cause for thought and I wonder whether it would have reached such a wide audience if Benedict hadn't lent his voice...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'i'm in shock, I've got a blanket'

Board footera