BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 29, 2015 4:43 pm  #101

Re: What's For Dinner?

(Veggie)Cottage pie and peas for me!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 29, 2015 4:44 pm  #102

I'm making a pot of homemade chili too.   No lamb for me though.  Beef, lots of beans with corn and tomatoes.    Southern style cornbread to go with it.   Mmmmmmmmm

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 29, 2015 6:23 pm  #103

I finally found a shop that sells more unusual cuts of lamb (both Dan and I love lamb) so I bought some minced lamb and 4 lamb shanks.  I can't wait to try the shanks - I have a recipe for wine braised lamb shanks that is accompanied by a parsnip puree.  I think I will add a simple salad (maybe an arugula salad to off-set the sweetness of the parsnips and the star anise in the shanks pot) as well to complete the meal.

Parsnips is another thing that I never had when I was a kid (along with lamb) but love them totally now that I am an adult.  I think that celery root puree would go nice with the shanks as well, but the sweeter taste of the parsnips will probably go better.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

December 4, 2015 6:03 pm  #104

I've just served black pudding with home made apple sauce! It's a Christmas tradition I've made for myself, I never had it as a kid... the mere thought of it makes my mum gag. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 4, 2015 6:42 pm  #105

Don't know what's for dinner tonight, but last night my husband tried something he had not made before, crab cakes.   I adore crab cakes and he did a fine job.  Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 8, 2015 4:27 am  #106

I know it's an "old thing", but I recently got a slow-cooker.  Considering I have a learning-to-cook deficiency, and have no time to do so anyway (working 50+ hours a week), this thing has been a savior to my hungry belly.

If anyone doesn't know the science behind these things, it's quite simple  You stick in mediocre ingredients, give it a long time, and it somehow produces super-delicious food.

Am I lame for appreciating this so?

December 8, 2015 6:44 am  #107

See my hubby is home now and will insist on feeding me proper food!
Tasty, but doesn't make me lose weight!
Veggie burgers last night(and the remnants tonight!), though I doubt I'll be able to eat anymore crusty rolls, once I get my veneers on Thursday!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 8, 2015 11:00 am  #108

If my back allows me I'll try my luck at making some 'magic' tonight... I got some good sausages really cheap, I found some of my mum's homemade tomato paste in the freezer and I will see how I can fix up a pasta sauce from that, I thought about adding some ketchup, some spices and just see what happens. 

If I had an onion and my back wasn't such a mess I'd also take out the frozen diced tomatoes (also from mum's greenhouse) and make my 'famous' tomato sauce for a few days... but it takes hours to make! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 8, 2015 2:49 pm  #109

The other night I made curried lamb shanks with chickpeas and potatoes.  Very yummy and I am a hard sell on anything with curry in it (I have had some bad experiences eating curry chicken). 

But it was completely all right and the curry spice and lamb went really well.  This was my first time cooking lamb shanks and it turned out pretty well.  The dish is slow cooked (I used my Dutch oven but it probably would be ideal in an actual slow cooker pot as well) for 3 and half hours in the oven and on the stove top. 

Tonight we are having pan seared duck breasts and the left over curried veggies from the lamb dish.  I love duck but it is harder to buy than chicken here in our part of Canada.  You can find it easier than you could in the past but still it only comes into the main grocery stores about once a month or so.

I have cooked whole duck before, as well as making duck confit (a really, really long process!!) but my favourite is just single duck breasts done medium rare in a cast itron skillet and finished off in the oven. 

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

December 8, 2015 3:54 pm  #110

Sounds delicious, Val!

Clueing for looks.

December 13, 2015 6:17 pm  #111

I made 'Risengrød' for dinner. It was yum! And now I'm stuffed! 

It's rice porridge with milk and rice, served with a knob of butter on top and then covered with cinnamon and sugar. 

Yum! That's what I'd call a comfort food! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

December 13, 2015 11:01 pm  #112

That sounds quite sweet, but also filling.

Clueing for looks.

March 5, 2016 8:56 pm  #113

Tomorrow I'm making Eggs Benedict for dinner (I know it's a breakfast food, but I could never eat that much in the morning)... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 5, 2016 9:19 pm  #114

Ah eat stuff when you want...who gets to make the rules on what you should eat and when?!

Board footera