BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2015 7:45 pm  #81

Re: I can’t believe what Moffat says anymore

besleybean wrote:

Exactly.
Nobody knows more about a work than it's creator.

I disagree. i am not an artist, just writing some fanfic. But at some point of Not Broken someone commented on the fact that she could tell Sherlock was stressed because he kept mentioning pain in his stomach. Yes, I wanted him to be stressed, but I completely missed the fact that I wrote about stomach pain.

Last edited by Schmiezi (January 3, 2015 7:45 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 3, 2015 7:51 pm  #82

So why did you write about stomach pain?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 3, 2015 8:52 pm  #83

I haven't. At least not consciously. But after reading the comment I re-read a few chapters and realised that I really mentioned it regularly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 3, 2015 9:05 pm  #84

That's amazing, that you can write something and not even realise...I mean I could understand if it was in draft, but is cut...sometimes the Sherlock team can't remember if they actually filmed a scene before it was cut......

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 3, 2015 9:10 pm  #85

I think that our subconsciousness has lots of influence on the art we create. So sometimes we can create something without being fully aware of aspects that people with more distance see clearly. That's why I think it is possible that an artist does not agree with an interpretation that is valid anyway.

January 3, 2015 9:18 pm  #86

To be fair, the BBC Sherlock team have never said that somebody's interpretation isn't vaild, they have just said that they have not written it that way.
For me, intention is everything.
Unless we really believe the characters can step out of our TVs and live a life of their own.

Last edited by besleybean (January 3, 2015 9:19 pm)

January 3, 2015 9:41 pm  #87

The process of creativity is bigger and involves much more than just the artist. Most big artists would be more than surprised about the meaning of their works as it turned out to become.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 3, 2015 9:52 pm  #88

I know from what the Sherlock team say, they're often not certain how they're going to get to a point...they have it planned out series ahead...but then they add things, cut things etc.
I also think it's different if you're creating something, totally original, all your own and from scratch.
BBC Sherlock follow the template of The Canon.

Last edited by besleybean (January 3, 2015 9:52 pm)

January 3, 2015 9:54 pm  #89

Canon or not, even the lighting of one single scene can mean one thing to one person and another thing to a second person and thereby change the meaning of more than just that single scene. If one cares to think about it, that is.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 3, 2015 9:59 pm  #90

Of course...though there can be different aspects of lighting etc...
We also have to guard against fishing for things we merely want to see.

January 3, 2015 10:00 pm  #91

Schmiezi wrote:

I think that our subconsciousness has lots of influence on the art we create. So sometimes we can create something without being fully aware of aspects that people with more distance see clearly. That's why I think it is possible that an artist does not agree with an interpretation that is valid anyway.

I agree with this - to a certain point. So for instance, I think that there are enough romantic tropes in Sherlock to make Johnlock viable as an interpretation. But if Moftiss says (and mean it) that they are never written as anything more than friends, than that is still the original and true meaning of the relationship

Creators, artists and writers are always strongly influenced by their time and place in society and culture. Everything they came from and all their experiences will always in a way show in what they do, even if it not conscious or intentional. (For instance - Tolkien's experiences with WWI clearly influenced his writing in LotR, but he is right when he states that the book is not to be read as a symbol of the war - the Uruk-Hai was never meant to be nazis). 

So even though writeres will always be influenced by their experiences and their place in the socio-cultural landscape, that is not the same as saying that any interpretation we want to be true, will be true.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 3, 2015 10:55 pm  #92

Yeah, I agree, our experiences will colour how we perceive pieces of art, whether as a creator or as a consumer. So sometimes a consumer sees something different than the creator intended, I get that. Sometimes, the consumer has an idea that was cleverer or more meaningful than the original intention, and of course a creator wouldn't protest if something means something personally to someone, even though it doesn't mean the same to him/her. I get that too. 

What I don't get is the philosophy that the creator's intention doesn't matter. At least not more than anyone else's. If anyone could explain that to me? I'm sure it has some methodological advantages for reviewers, so that they focus on the art and not on the artist, but that's method and not philosophy. I simply cannot see art, any type of art, as anything other than a form of communication, and the creator plays the most important role in that. 

For example when I read a book, a Stephen King, I'm aware that this is King on every page, and that there might be a monster lurking somewhere. With Rowling, it got kinda easy to predict who she might kill next. When I watch Sherlock, I'm aware of the writers and their fondness of shock twists and breaking the fourth wall. Even within Sherlock, I've come to expect nonlinear stuff from Steven, but not from Mark. You get to learn a certain writer's style and learning what the writer's attitude is, also helps with understanding that style. The writer is always in the back of my head, that's why I'm glad that Moftiss give so many interviews. 

January 3, 2015 11:04 pm  #93

Yes to me this is the whole advantage of the modern, multi media world...
We no longer have to wonder what a writer meant by some thing...we can actually find out!
People can wonder about Holmes and Watson in Canon...
But we know about them in BBC Sherlock.

Last edited by besleybean (January 3, 2015 11:05 pm)

January 3, 2015 11:10 pm  #94

silverblaze wrote:

Yeah, I agree, our experiences will colour how we perceive pieces of art, whether as a creator or as a consumer. So sometimes a consumer sees something different than the creator intended, I get that. Sometimes, the consumer has an idea that was cleverer or more meaningful than the original intention, and of course a creator wouldn't protest if something means something personally to someone, even though it doesn't mean the same to him/her. I get that too. 

What I don't get is the philosophy that the creator's intention doesn't matter. At least not more than anyone else's. If anyone could explain that to me? I'm sure it has some methodological advantages for reviewers, so that they focus on the art and not on the artist, but that's method and not philosophy. I simply cannot see art, any type of art, as anything other than a form of communication, and the creator plays the most important role in that. 

For example when I read a book, a Stephen King, I'm aware that this is King on every page, and that there might be a monster lurking somewhere. With Rowling, it got kinda easy to predict who she might kill next. When I watch Sherlock, I'm aware of the writers and their fondness of shock twists and breaking the fourth wall. Even within Sherlock, I've come to expect nonlinear stuff from Steven, but not from Mark. You get to learn a certain writer's style and learning what the writer's attitude is, also helps with understanding that style. The writer is always in the back of my head, that's why I'm glad that Moftiss give so many interviews. 

Yes, this is how I view it as well, and I am honestly unable to understand that someone would find the creator's intent not more true than any interpretation from the audience.

If I were to write a book about, say, the loneliness of an outsider, that would be The meaning of the book. If someone then told me it was about how standing alone in the world is the best you can do, I would say no - it isn't. It is actually wrong. 

Of course, we are all free to interpret whatever we want, and we always do it based on who we are. The audience can get their own personal experience from art that was never the intention of the creator, and that is an awesome thing about art. But there is a giant leap from having that personal experience to claiming it to be just as true as the creator's intention. To me, that is bordering on rude - if I were a writer, I would find it rude if someone said that to me.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 4, 2015 8:34 am  #95

I think you're touching on the thing that bothers me the most.
Just a nod to the actual thread title for a moment!
Yes, obviously we all understand the team are not going to give us major spoilers in advance...we are not stupid and we don't even mind them teasing us a bit.
But these are supposed to be stories,a team and a show that we love.
Yet I sometimes come away from the fandom feeling that some people actually hate the Sherlock team and think the product inferior.
I know a lot of this is born out of the frustration of having to wait to so long between series.
But I also think it's almost an instance where people power has possibly gone just a tad too far.
I still say Sherlock is the best TV we currently have anywhere in the world.
Yes, other peoepl's fan art/fic/vids may be brilliant.
And it's all fine.
But none of it is the same as the BBC Sherlock vision.
Sherlock is their vision and they are allowed to have it.
We either buy into it or we don't.
Nobody makes us watch it.
If you think you can do better, fine,do it. Go into TV yourself,  
if you want...
But I also feel some folk are bordering on demanding the team to represent their own(fan) preferences,. and not what the team feel deeply about themselves.
I don't always agree with them on things, but I understand, see and appreciate what they do nonetheless.

Last edited by besleybean (January 4, 2015 8:37 am)

January 4, 2015 8:55 am  #96

The thread starter knew what he did, and there is more and more evidence that supports it. So don't take it personally.

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 4, 2015 9:05 am  #97

I don't take this aspect personally at all...just showing my support for the team and their work.

January 4, 2015 9:25 am  #98

See? You act like you have to defend them. Which is funny because we adore the team for their brilliance. *shrug*

January 4, 2015 9:52 am  #99

Fine.

January 4, 2015 10:31 am  #100

Yes, they are brilliant. At pretty much everything, writing, directing, art direction, lighting, acting, even at telling us lies whenever they open their mouths. And that's totally fine with me. The moment you start understanding that you can't believe a lot of the things they're saying, you can decide with each interview, each Q&A, each single sentence they say on a red carpet whether or not you believe them. And then you can just lean back and watch the show, new episodes and old episodes, and try to bring in line what they said with what you see on screen. Pretty awesome, if you ask me.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera