BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2015 12:59 pm  #61

Re: I can’t believe what Moffat says anymore

So is there never any way of ever knowing anything for certain?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 3, 2015 1:05 pm  #62

Probably not. Only after the show is over. Provided they do not say it is over and decide to come back after two years. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 3, 2015 1:14 pm  #63

Yes I get that...and obviously there are over arching links, even from S1E1...we can also be very wrong with things...well at least I have been and have to apologise(to Sally Donovan mainly!).
Also, somthings we are interested in, the team just aren't. Altho they do say they don't like anybody to feel cheated.
But they are not over keen on too much backstory, for instance...or at least things like: he behaves the way he does now becasue of what happened when he wa 2- that kind of thing!

Last edited by besleybean (January 3, 2015 1:15 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 3, 2015 1:29 pm  #64

They can lie all they want as far as I am concerned.  Just so long as they get it done and we get more episodes!

I really don't care at all if they use all sorts of contradictory statements to tease the audience - they just want to protect their element of surprise.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

January 3, 2015 1:32 pm  #65

The overarching links are definitely there, a thing a really love about the show. Foreshadowings are used quite often. And if Moriarty is still alive some people will feel cheated, whether they like it or not. 

As for the commentaries that are often quoted - I always think that they are mainly a sort of bonus, the creators having fun and letting the fans a bit in on how it was done. Anecdotes, jokes. But there is a glaring contrast between their "professional" joking manner and what we see as an audience. I am sure nobody was laughing during the mind palace scene in HLV or Leinster Gardens and all the others. 
For me it is a bit like open house, a look behind the scenes but not an interpretation of the show itself. This has to be done by us, not by them. You do not expect a novelist to explain their book to you but read it and come to your own conclusions. This also applies to the overarching hints and things. We are the ones to find them, they do not have to be pointed out by the writers. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 3, 2015 1:47 pm  #66

And people reaching different conclusions?

January 3, 2015 3:50 pm  #67

Well, this time I do believe in what the writers say 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 3, 2015 4:05 pm  #68

besleybean wrote:

Well it's natural for people to have different interpratations of something until it is umanbiguously explained in the text

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Series arc of Sherlock | Clues to #johnlock being endgame | My fav Sherlock blog

January 3, 2015 5:32 pm  #69

besleybean wrote:

Of course. Happens all the time. Just think of all the different Hamlet interpretations. There are facts - someone demands revenge, is killed, murders someone - but the important thing is what we make of them. Is Hamlet a weakling, a victim, a philosopher, a murderer, a rebel, or all at the same time?
The same goes for "Sherlock". For example we have a man and a woman who get married. But it is for us to interpret what we make of it. 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 3, 2015 5:33 pm)

January 3, 2015 5:42 pm  #70

Well they remain married, until something  intervenes to cast them asunder.

January 3, 2015 5:48 pm  #71

The topic was "different conclusions", not "marriage", dear.

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 3, 2015 5:52 pm  #72

I wasn't the first to mention it, dear.

January 3, 2015 5:57 pm  #73

You asked about different conclusions and ignored all the replies. Did you realise that?

January 3, 2015 5:58 pm  #74

Since when does everybody answer all of the replies?

January 3, 2015 6:00 pm  #75

Well, some rarely do, that's true. They ask something and then don't even bother.

January 3, 2015 6:01 pm  #76

Yes, that has been my experience, too.
I'm glad we're agreed on that one.

January 3, 2015 6:06 pm  #77

No, we don't. It's not the same.

January 3, 2015 6:10 pm  #78

Well it's not a police state, people are free to post when and what they like.

January 3, 2015 6:56 pm  #79

SusiGo wrote:

besleybean wrote:

Of course. Happens all the time. Just think of all the different Hamlet interpretations. There are facts - someone demands revenge, is killed, murders someone - but the important thing is what we make of them. Is Hamlet a weakling, a victim, a philosopher, a murderer, a rebel, or all at the same time?
The same goes for "Sherlock". For example we have a man and a woman who get married. But it is for us to interpret what we make of it. 

To get back on topic. I get that. People have different interpretations of the same work. What I don't get is people who insist that their interpretation is just as valid as the creator's. I mean if I write something, and something interprets it differently than I intend, I'd say a mistake was made, either by me, the recipient or both of us. I don't say: oh, your interpretation is just as valid as mine. No one operates that way. Why would it be different in art? 

January 3, 2015 7:20 pm  #80

Exactly.
Nobody knows more about a work than it's creator.

Board footera