BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 28, 2014 7:42 pm  #41

Re: I can’t believe what Moffat says anymore

I'm a bit late to this thread but I love the topic line so much... poor innocent soul. 
I remember from the Empire podcast an exchange that went a bit like this:

Interviewer: 'Steven, I've been told that you always lie.'
Steven: 'What? No, I'm way les predictable than that!'

I believe him.  
This lying game was actually not his invention, I learned recently. Russel T Davies came up with it. 

September 4, 2014 2:26 pm  #42

Here are some things I could dig up:

----------------------------
Question: It seems that a lot of fans are interested in know if there are any other "easter eggs" that they'll be able to pick up on repeat viewings
Gatiss/Moffat: No Easter eggs unless we're lying.

Question: What is your opinion (if any) on Sherlock's sexuality? Does it matter, or is it irrelevant to you as writers?
Gatiss/ Moffat: Sherlock lives in his brain - everything else is transport. Unless we're lying. Again.

- Masterpiece Filmmaker Chat with S. Moffat & M. Gatiss, November 2010

- Mark Gariss with Stephen Moffat, Sherlock Series 3 DVD Extras

"It changes the experience of writing if I give too much away. Right now, I’ve got an idea for the ending which I’m extremely excited about, but I don’t wanna say it out loud. Not because it would matter if anyone knew about it, but just because saying it out loud might spoil the magic—you might look disappointed. So I need to cling to this idea—in fact, that’s a relevant thing to say about writing. Before, I’ve told people things and they seem underwhelmed, so I’ve lost faith in it from that point on!"

"The most truthful thing I have said in this interview, about writing, is the importance of these secrets: The magic of Not Telling Anyone Yet. I know Russell [T. Davies] thinks that way too — he won’t tell anybody what he’s doing. Because it turns to ashes in your mouth. It almost becomes ordinary."

- S. Moffat, Panini’s Doctor Who Magazine interview, June 2008

(When asked about upcoming stories in series 4 and 5)

"Anything is possible. But we do our best to surprise you with a combination of lies and deceit. So, we’re never going to tell you what we’re going to do."

- S. Moffat, IGN post- series 3 premiere interview, January 2014

Interviewer: So what did you say to Steven and Mark after you read the [Mary] twist? 
Abbington: I texted them, 'You bastards.' It was brilliant. I was so happy. 
Interviewer: I feel like Steven lives for people saying, ‘You bastard’ to him in that way. 
Abbington: He does. He loves that. That’s why he brought Moriarty back after he said in interviews, “Moriarty’s dead, okay? He’s dead.” And here’s Moriarty in the finale saying, “I’m back. Did you miss me?”

- A. Abbington, Vulture S3 Finale interview, Feb 2014

Question: I was just wondering about the creative decision to bring Moriarty back. I’m thrilled, but you were very adamant he wasn’t coming back. 
Moffat: Because I’ve always given this grand commitment to telling the truth! [laughter] You don’t know what’s going on there. You don’t know what’s going on there. We know what’s going on there but we’re not telling you… for bloody ages! [laughter]. It must be hell watching this show. 

- S. Moffat, Den of Geek interview, January 2014

If you tell the truth all the time, there’s no variety, there’s no creativity, so we just make stuff up. I know that sounds terrible that I lied so completely and utterly, I didn’t hint a lie, I just said, no, we’re definitely not [bringing back the Master]. Look, if I were organizing a surprise party for you, I would deny it. If you said ‘Are you organizing a party?’ I’d say ‘No!’ because it would spoil the surprise party.

S. Moffat, Den of Geek interview, November 2014

I’d like to add something that I’ve observed Moffat doing in his career. He lied loudly and publicly several times about the inclusion of anyone but Ten and Eleven in the Dr. Who 50th Anniversary Special. He even got several other ex-Doctors to be “outraged” at their exclusion (which turned out to all be for the sake of a faux-documentary to go along with the special). He really got people pissed off, too. Then we got a mini-episode featuring Eight and a significant cameo by Four. So Moffat has past record of blatantly lying to the audience, and is willing to get his audience well and truly angry at him for the sake of the bit. And I’m not saying this negatively. He/they do it for the magic of the big reveal(s).

Last edited by tykobrian (January 3, 2015 9:59 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Series arc of Sherlock | Clues to #johnlock being endgame | My fav Sherlock blog

September 4, 2014 4:02 pm  #43

To make good TV, yes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 4, 2014 4:48 pm  #44

Thank you, tykobrian, for all your efforts. It is very enlightening to see Moffat's collected lies and deceits, ahem, interviews and they make me very excited for what we are going to see in the next Sherlock episodes. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 4, 2014 5:03 pm  #45

He only lies to us for our own good. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 4, 2014 6:01 pm  #46

That he does.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 5, 2014 4:38 am  #47

Thanks for putting all the efford into collection those quotes, tykobrian.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

September 6, 2014 9:11 pm  #48

That's a wonderful collection. 

I'm now imagining a hardcover 'Anthology of Moffat's Lies'. I'd buy that. 

October 5, 2014 8:57 am  #49

Nice!

October 5, 2014 9:47 am  #50

You're all  not nice to lovely Steven...

Last edited by besleybean (October 5, 2014 7:24 pm)

October 5, 2014 10:03 am  #51

I think there is a big difference between Moffat hate and Moffat lies appreciation (this is what we are doing here). He thrives on this, I am sure. The worst thing one could would be to call him boring and predictable.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 5, 2014 10:48 am  #52

Yeah, I love Moffat and I love his lies. 

October 5, 2014 10:56 am  #53

Do people take note of these lies(and I only mean in relation to Sherlock), cos I'm not really aware of too many and I rather suspect that sometimes people merely hope he is lying.

October 5, 2014 11:16 am  #54

Actually, not much comes to mind, now I'm thinking about this. The Moriarty thing is obvious but they didn't have any choice. To the question 'Is Moriarty dead?' they couldn't have answered 'wait and see' because then you'd immediately spoil it. 

And yeah, some people seem to have made up their own vision of it and whenever Moftiss contradict it they say 'oh they lie all the time'. 

October 5, 2014 11:28 am  #55

I say Amen and Hallelujah.

October 5, 2014 7:23 pm  #56

besleybean wrote:

Yiou're all  not nice to lovely Steven...

When I call him a Black Hearted Bastard I mean it as a term of affection.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 5, 2014 7:24 pm  #57

Tee Hee.

January 3, 2015 10:01 am  #58

Found another gem from our lying liar in-chief, Stephen Moffat:

If you tell the truth all the time, there’s no variety, there’s no creativity, so we just make stuff up. I know that sounds terrible that I lied so completely and utterly, I didn’t hint a lie, I just said, no, we’re definitely not [bringing back the Master]. Look, if I were organizing a surprise party for you, I would deny it. If you said ‘Are you organizing a party?’ I’d say ‘No!’ because it would spoil the surprise party.

S. Moffat, Den of Geek interview, November 2014

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Series arc of Sherlock | Clues to #johnlock being endgame | My fav Sherlock blog

January 3, 2015 10:14 am  #59

This makes him an awesome artist. (Else he would be awful.) Thanks, tykobrian 

Last edited by Harriet (January 3, 2015 10:20 am)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 3, 2015 12:05 pm  #60

Yes, great quote. I am sure you will never get a definite and/or true statement from him about anything in the show, only after - and maybe not even then - it has aired. 

Board footera