BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 3, 2014 2:40 am  #1

John did have a point

He said that Sherlock should have given him just “One Word” to let him know that he was alive. If Mycroft, Molly, and the Homeless Network were in on it, why couldn’t he have also let his closest friend in the world know about it. Personally, I do think that Sherlock could have still pulled off his “Reichenbach” stunt and let John know he was alive afterword before going off on his global mission to destroy the rest of Moriarty’s criminal network. If he had left for him some sort of sign that he had survived the fall it would have kept his hopes high. If Sherlock had done any of these things, John would have embraced him with open arms instead of beating him up when he reappeared to him.

I do think that it is a shame that the reunion between Sherlock and John in this series had to be a painful and uneasy one. In the original story called “The Empty House”, it was a joyful if not moving affair (especially if you see the adaptation of it with Jeremy Brett and Edward Hardwicke). Add the fact that in that story, Holmes had good reason to not let Watson know he was alive since Moriarty’s henchman (lead by Colonel Moran) were still after him and thus Watson’s life could have been put in danger if he made any contact with him during his hiatus.

June 3, 2014 3:22 am  #2

Re: John did have a point

The unforgiveable thing Sherlock did was make John watch him 'die'. I don't think I could sit through this episode another time to confirm this, but I'm pretty that John watching the fall wasn't part of the deal with Moriarty. If you haven't experienced it, you can't imagine what it is like to watch, powerless, as someone you care about falls to his death. It's one thing to be told that person is dead, another to watch it happen before your eyes.

Sherlock put John through something abominable and I'm pretty sure completelly unnecessary to the plan. The only reason I think he made John watch was so that there would be a credible witness. That just hit me and the sheer cold heartedness of this just struck me.

I have major issues with how John handled his anger upon Sherlock's return. But I believe firmly that the bulk of that anger is justified.

As to informing John he was still alive, Sherlock's plan hinged on Moriarty's people believing he was dead. John had to be seen truly mourning and moving on, otherwise Sherlock's mission could have failed.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

June 3, 2014 4:15 am  #3

Pretty much agree with everything in that reply…  although just wanted to add, with all the range of mixed feelings and debate this has already gotten, that it's hard to tell what was anticipated and what wasn't, for your argument.  How would Sherlock know that Moriarty would try to 'beat' him by suicide, and therefore not look down and see the not-fall he had planned?  He also wouldn't know that John would get back in time from trying to send him away for safety (if that was indeed his doing).  Or that the sniper's view was also out of sight of whatever he did (which was more important, to call them off). 
So unfortunately, yeah… John ended up being his harshly 'credible witness' to not risk his friend's lives once he 'left', and it needed to be believable, if they were being watched.  But still a shame he couldn't trust his too-honest friend's 'acting' abilities to give even a vague hint to hold onto.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

June 3, 2014 4:21 am  #4

BrettHolmes wrote:

I do think that it is a shame that the reunion between Sherlock and John in this series had to be a painful and uneasy one. In the original story called “The Empty House”, it was a joyful if not moving affair (especially if you see the adaptation of it with Jeremy Brett and Edward Hardwicke)..

ACD in my opinion wasn't actually interested in Watson's feelings concerning Holmes' return; he just  wanted to get rid of any annoying human emotions in order to quickly go on with the story.  Because he didn't feel like dealing with this complicated situation (I'm sure he was absolutely aware of this!) he chose to overrun Watson (and the readers) by a "joyful" version of the reunion. Just a short fainting - and that's it from the sentiment department. Not quite believable to me. I never liked how ACD tackled it.
The series, however, treats this afffair  in a  much more realistic - less fairytale-like - way.
I feel taken seriously by the writers. I've been mourning with John throughout the two years after all!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 3, 2014 4:26 am  #5

BrettHolmes wrote:

I do think that it is a shame that the reunion between Sherlock and John in this series had to be a painful and uneasy one. In the original story called “The Empty House”, it was a joyful if not moving affair (especially if you see the adaptation of it with Jeremy Brett and Edward Hardwicke).

I think in the light of how TRF ended, it makes total sense that the reunion between Sherlock and John in TEH was a painful one - although I have to add that for me personally the real reunion took place much later in the episode.
Also, I found John's initial reaction on seeing Sherlock again in the first restaurant to be extremely and utterly moving! Yes, two minutes later he was at Sherlock's throat, but just watch John closely before that and you'll see all the pain and loss and hurt and grief of the last two years right there in his face. I was very, very moved by that.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 3, 2014 4:53 am  #6

Russell wrote:

Pretty much agree with everything in that reply… although just wanted to add, with all the range of mixed feelings and debate this has already gotten, that it's hard to tell what was anticipated and what wasn't, for your argument.

Sherlock is about to jump when the cab pulls up. He knows it's John. Instead of jumping, he makes a point to call John and make him watch the whole thing. Bastard.

Mary

June 3, 2014 7:26 am  #7

Of course John does have a point there! But in keeping with Arthur Conan Doyle's version, who didn't care one ounce about Watson's feelings (as Tobe has already pointed out above), Moftiss also made Sherlock fail to tell him sooner.
But I also think it has something to do with Sherlock not being good at communicating things to someone in a subtle way, so he possibly truly just didn't know how to approach this. John matters most to him and I think it is incredibly difficult for him to break something of this magnitude to someone he truly cares about, as we all could witness in the actual reunion scene.
Sherlock continues to be socially somewhat inept, it's who he is, and he can't communicate his emotions very well.

I agree that Conan Doyle's reunion of Watson and Holmes is somewhat weak. I loved having them reunited when I first read the stories as a kid, but even then I thought Watson was a bit daft in the way he just accepted Holmes's return and the cock and bull story he is being told about why he couldn't contact him sooner.

I loved the reunion scene in TEH. I thought it was fantastically acted out by Martin Freeman and it seemed a very realistic reaction (between two blokes anyway). If my best friend pulled such a stunt on me, my first reaction would be to just try and actually kill him for all the pain he caused me and also due to an overpowering feeling of having been betrayed by someone so close to me.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

June 3, 2014 12:03 pm  #8

maryagrawatson wrote:

Russell wrote:

Pretty much agree with everything in that reply… although just wanted to add, with all the range of mixed feelings and debate this has already gotten, that it's hard to tell what was anticipated and what wasn't, for your argument.

Sherlock is about to jump when the cab pulls up. He knows it's John. Instead of jumping, he makes a point to call John and make him watch the whole thing. Bastard.

Mary

This here.  I tdon't think Sherlock was being a cold hearted bastard on purpose. 
I don't think John returning to the hospital was part of the plan.  Otherwise why have him tricked into leaving at all?

When John does return Sherlock has to think fast and do whatever he has to do to make sure John does not see the arrangments for the fall.  Even though he knew it was going to be horrible for John.  I believe that's why he was crying on the phone.  I believe those tears were real.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 3, 2014 12:38 pm  #9

I'm not sure.
I think John was meant to return to the Hospital because things had been put in place to stop him figuring out that the jump was a hoax (the cyclist, the truck, etc.,)
Sherlock needed him out of the way while these things were set up, and while he faced Moriarty.
But he needed him to witness the jump because, come on, John would never in a million years have believed that Sherlock had killed himself unless he witnessed it - and John had to believe he was dead.
You can tell when Sherlock's tears are supposed to be real, imo; and in that scene they were, because he regretted hurting John, and he didn't want to leave his present life behind.
And yeah, I get that the pleasure at seeing Sherlock alive would soon give way to anger at what he'd been put through, but I hated the almost slapstick style violence that followed

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

June 3, 2014 12:55 pm  #10

I agree, Tinks. If Sherlock had not wanted John to be there when he jumped, he would have engineered for John to be detained at 221B (or wherever else) far longer. It must have been obvious to Sherlock that John would return the minute he realized that Hudders is perfectly fine.
Sherlock needed John to leave the hospital so that he could prepare his plan and set it into motion. Once that was done, John had to come back.
Sherlock a cold-hearted bastard? Nope. He did this because he had to do it like this.  

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

June 3, 2014 1:25 pm  #11

tonnaree wrote:

Even though he knew it was going to be horrible for John.  I believe that's why he was crying on the phone.  I believe those tears were real.

Moffat has gone on record to confirm that the tears were fake and used to manipulate John.

"Whereas all of Sherlock’s emotion on the rooftop when he’s talking to John in “The Reichenbach Fall” is completely faked — he’s just trying to give his friend a bad time so he’ll be in an emotional state to believe what’s about to happen…."

and

Interviewer: "Were Sherlock’s tears in Reichenbach real?"

Moffat: "He’s Sherlock Holmes, he knew exactly what he was doing. Sentimentalise him at your peril."

The scene on the roof was Sherlock being season 1 and 2 Sherlock, not realising how much people care about him and how much he affects them.

Mary

June 3, 2014 1:45 pm  #12

Then I'd be amazed if Moffatt had communicated that to Benedict, because I don't think that's how he played the scene.
Yes John had to be manipulated to a certain extent, but although we could see the tears, I doubt that John would have from where he was standing.
I've got a huge amount of respect for Moffatt but he does chop and change what he says about the characters and seems more into a storyline than a character's headspace.
If he won't give backstories, then it's possible that Actors draw their own motivation for various scenes, and I believe some of the emotion on Sherlock's part was real
Sherlock Holmes was never an unfeeling bastard in canon; I hope Moffatf doesn't really want to do that with this version!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

June 3, 2014 1:45 pm  #13

SolarSystem wrote:

I agree, Tinks. If Sherlock had not wanted John to be there when he jumped, he would have engineered for John to be detained at 221B (or wherever else) far longer. It must have been obvious to Sherlock that John would return the minute he realized that Hudders is perfectly fine.
Sherlock needed John to leave the hospital so that he could prepare his plan and set it into motion. Once that was done, John had to come back.
Sherlock a cold-hearted bastard? Nope. He did this because he had to do it like this.  

Ok.  I see that now.  Why have the other stuff in place if he didn't expect John to be there.

However, in my heart and head canon I will always believe Sherlock's tears were mostly real.  I think he may have started out using them to convince John but that his true feelings started to come out.

Also, Moffit lies. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 3, 2014 1:53 pm  #14

Tinks, tonnaree: Yes.
I said it in other threads and I'll just say it again: What I see in the show is what counts first and foremost for me. What Mofftiss have to say about it certainly is interesting to a certain extent, but I don't need them to tell me what I see - and especially not to tell me what I feel.
I'm sure Moffat loves the fact that his show makes people feel and see all kinds of things. He's an artist, and I'm sure for an artist the best thing that can happen is that his art provokes discussion and makes different people see different things.

Sherlock's tears felt real to me and I agree, John had no chance to see him cry from that distance anyway. 

Last edited by SolarSystem (June 3, 2014 1:54 pm)

June 3, 2014 2:22 pm  #15

Sherlock has faked the waterworks too often for me to ever believe his tears could be real in anything we've seen so far, including the rooftop and the train. At this point, the only way a crying fit of his could convince me that it has a bit of truth and genuine feeling to it is if he was under some sort of drug, like THOB, that could believably lower is inhibitions.

The roof scene was just Sherlock being his showy actor self and doing something truly horrible. The only reason I think it's forgiveable is because of the snipers.

Mary

June 3, 2014 2:39 pm  #16

See, this is a problem that I've found I have with this show, especially since season 3.
You're not the only one, Mary, who I've seen express a viewpoint that seems almost like a dislike of Sherlock.
That to me is sad, and means that Moftiss are doing a disservice to a great fictional character.
Sherlock Holmes was never created to be unlikeable, inhuman and distrusted, and he always had a great deal of affection for Watson and would never have caused him pain, unless it was unavoidable.
Moftiss have created a version of him who, in some people's minds, is the complete opposite, whilst their Watson is a long suffering, tormented person who at times seems almost a victim of Sherlock's.
I should add, this is not the way I see things, and the only time Sherlock's tears have been fake, imo, were in TGG, talking to the Widow.
But the fact that some people see Sherlock as so uncaring and cold says to me that something is lacking in the writing and the direction, because there are many moments when he shows that he's far from being either of those things, and it's a shame if that's going unnoticed.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

June 3, 2014 3:09 pm  #17

Tinks wrote:

See, this is a problem that I've found I have with this show, especially since season 3.
You're not the only one, Mary, who I've seen express a viewpoint that seems almost like a dislike of Sherlock.

You have to understand that someone I cared about did that to me, inexplicably threw himself off a building, not considering the ripple effect that it would have had. The days and months and years that followed were unimaginable. It almost destroyed the man I loved and it fragmented our relationship. It was the singular most defining moment of my life.

I don't care if Sherlock is a fictional character because he was created by real breathing people who decided that this was the characterization they were going with. I understand this side of Sherlock, just as I understand John's violent side, but I don't like them. These dimensions to the characters is what makes so human, so real, that they are both beautiful and ugly at the same time.

Something wonderful did come out of this mess. Sherlock finally grew up and became the great man that Lestrade hoped he would be one day.

As for John, I'm not sure yet if he's going to be okay, but it's only been two years and he's had a rapid succession of traumas (witnessing Sherlock's 'suicide', Sherlock's resurrection, and Mary's betrayal) that mean he needs time to heal. I look forward to seeing what become of his character in season 4.

Mary

June 3, 2014 4:02 pm  #18

John does have a point:Sherlock is a murderer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 3, 2014 4:27 pm  #19

besleybean wrote:

John does have a point:Sherlock is a murderer.

When does he say that? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 3, 2014 4:32 pm  #20

Oh sorry, is it things he actually said?!
I was going to apologise anyway, cos I think John is incredibly moved by the sacrifice Sherlock made for him...but I just wanted to make the point!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera