BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 11, 2014 1:25 pm  #121

Re: Sein letzter Schwur (HLV), German TV ARD, June 9, 2014

nakahara wrote:

Yes, cold drinks are in order, it seems.
But excess Johnlock can´t be helped, I´m afraid.

At least not in this thread. 
Enter at your own peril.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 11, 2014 4:32 pm  #122

Would be interesting  to hear how jlock would go go down in other countries...conservative/religeous ones especially....considering some dinosaurs like Putin etc are not yet extinct.

June 11, 2014 5:31 pm  #123

Nakahara, Sein Letzter Schwul is hilarious! Thanks for sharing! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 16, 2014 7:29 pm  #124

There is one bad mistake/translation choice we may not have mentioned: 

When Sherlock is lying on the operation table fighting his way up the stairs in his mind palace we hear him saying John's name. In German he says "Scheiße" instead. No need for that. And out of character. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 16, 2014 7:30 pm  #125

SusiGo wrote:

There is one bad mistake/translation choice we may not have mentioned: 

When Sherlock is lying on the operation table while simultaneously fighting his way up the stairs in his mind palace we hear him saying John's name. In German he says "Scheiße" instead. No need for that. And out of character. 

June 16, 2014 7:37 pm  #126

Yes, German Sherlock has a curse habit. There are more examples in dubbed series 2. Wonder why this was considered necessary...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 16, 2014 7:40 pm  #127

Because he never curses, does he? I was surprised he even used the word "whore". 

June 16, 2014 7:41 pm  #128

In contrast to that, I really love his "offenkundig". I know it's totally old-fashioned and nobody ever uses that word, but for some reason I'm helplessly in love with Sherlock saying it.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 16, 2014 7:55 pm  #129

Yes, lovely word. I use it quite often in written texts. 

June 16, 2014 8:02 pm  #130

Aahh, that's great! Just recently I started to use it in conversations occasionally... it just sort of happens.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

June 16, 2014 8:11 pm  #131

There are a lot of seldom used words that are really beautiful. I like "bisweilen". too. 

June 16, 2014 8:13 pm  #132

Oh yes, that's another beautiful word.

June 16, 2014 8:19 pm  #133

..."überdies"...

June 16, 2014 8:37 pm  #134

Yes, one of my favourites as well. "Indessen". Should we open a thread for this? 

June 17, 2014 12:05 pm  #135

Maybe we really should, maybe somewhere in the Other-section? I'm sure my boyfriend has a lot to add to that topic, too.

June 17, 2014 12:09 pm  #136

Feel free to open a thread. 

Do you know this site? 

http://www.wortweide.de

Last edited by SusiGo (June 17, 2014 12:21 pm)

June 17, 2014 12:57 pm  #137

Oh, thanks, dear! I don't have enough time to waste already anyway...

June 17, 2014 1:04 pm  #138

SusiGo wrote:

Feel free to open a thread. 

Do you know this site? 

http://www.wortweide.de

A really nice site.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

June 17, 2014 6:46 pm  #139

Thank you for these lovely and mostly unused words and the Wortweide link. I have to use the german language a lot in my job and I´m always looking for some words that aren´t used so often anymore.
And I´m really impressed how well you all know the german and english transcript of the episodes, I just watched season 3 in german once and I can´t even remember when and where the word "offenkundig" was used.

June 17, 2014 6:49 pm  #140

Well, it is just a matter of time and watching it often enough. 

As for Wortweide - there are so many beautiful and expressive words in German that we do not appreciate. 

Board footera