BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 10, 2014 3:13 pm  #61

Re: Sein letzter Schwur (HLV), German TV ARD, June 9, 2014

TeeJay wrote:

Well, it's not really a male vs. female thing or an avid vs. casual fan when it comes to the Johnlock vs. hetero discussion. I'm female and I consider myself in the avid fan category, and I don't see Johnlock at all. To me both Sherlock and John are clearly not gay, although I can see Sherlock swing in that direction, whereas with John I don't see it at all. (Although I do acknowledge that they both love each other in a certain way, but I have a hard time seeing the physical or sexual component.)

Well, I didn't mean to categorize it in that way, and as you may have noticed I did not only talk about Johnlock but about a couple of other things as well. But since you've mentioned Johnlock: I didn't mean to say that it's unusual for a male viewer to recognize Johnlock or that all female viewers see it - I know that's not the case. I was merely trying to point out what someone who is not a fan (and doesn't watch it in the OV) can see in the show without having all the 'background information' we as fans have.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 10, 2014 3:34 pm  #62

I agree with Solar. There's no such thing as males see it this way, females that way, I'm a bit tired of breaking opinions down to gender or that we must like or being supportive for things because of gender. We discussed the first impressions of our families and friends who watched the season for the first time now. Hubby and me are definitely not the same gender and accidentally happen to agree about quite a lot of things, which I didn't expect beforehands. I my daughter is not into love and romance at all, still quite a child concerning those topics and she was annoyed by the same scenes. Certainly didn't prepare her for this.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

June 10, 2014 4:40 pm  #63

Right, mrshouse. To me it's really interesting to see how people who I would define as 'normal viewers' see the show. Of course my boyfriend knows a bit more about it than the 'normal' audience does, just because I talk about it occasionally. Still, he makes up his own mind and isn't afraid to mention the things he doesn't like. For example, he thought that if they had ended S3 with Sherlock going away, that would have been too weak an ending. He liked that little Moriarty twist (and is sure that it isn't really Moriarty) - and I was quite surprised that he liked it, because I kind of expected him to react in a "Oh, come on, he's DEAD!" sort of way.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

June 10, 2014 5:58 pm  #64

mrshouse wrote:

They worked it out? Well, we would have to agree to disagree on that. My hubby is worried about the quality of plots and screen writing after S3. And he's not fond of the filling up with super brains and definitely does not want to see Sherlock babysitting!

Sigh, yes. I don't agree either Only good thing, hubby liked HLV best of all S3.
About super brains and babies, I'm with yours 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 10, 2014 7:03 pm  #65

The figures:
"Mit «Sein letzter Schwur» endete an Pfingstmontag um 21:45 Uhr die aktuelle Ausstrahlungsperiode schon wieder - und lief mit durchschnittlich 13,6 Prozent bei 1,22 Millionen Zuschauern im Alter zwischen 14 und 49 Jahren einmal mehr toll."
http://www.quotenmeter.de/n/71211/sherlock-kommt-nicht-an-tatort-heran

Seems though that Sherlock lost against "Tatort". I watched the last ten minutes of it prior to HLV and thought: What a wooden and boring acting! Germans, I honestly don't understand you...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 10, 2014 7:13 pm  #66

tobeornot221b wrote:

Seems though that Sherlock lost against "Tatort".

But that's not such a big surprise, is it? After all, "Tatort" aired at prime time, which automatically means better figures than a show that starts at 9:45 p.m.

June 10, 2014 7:23 pm  #67

SolarSystem wrote:

tobeornot221b wrote:

Seems though that Sherlock lost against "Tatort".

But that's not such a big surprise, is it? After all, "Tatort" aired at prime time, which automatically means better figures than a show that starts at 9:45 p.m.

I think watching Tatort has become a German habit - no matter what the quality of the films may be. It's something the TV watchers wouldn't be scared by because it's like visiting an old aunt who you know what you can expect from. No experiments!
Since we know that NRW is full of Sherlock fans I prefer to blame the figures on the storm and the many power breakdowns.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 10, 2014 7:23 pm  #68

Yes, I'm not surprised as well about this fact. The audience is used to Tatort. Sherlock still is something different which didn't fit in the pattern of the ordinary German crime series audience. Just my opinion ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

June 10, 2014 7:42 pm  #69

Yes, possibly. And Tatort is reliable. They even have a pattern according to which the episodes are built. There is always a red herring at half-time or something like that. And people seem to like when they know what they get in advance. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 10, 2014 7:45 pm  #70

I know quite a few people who would simply be overcharged by - uhm, more or less everything in Sherlock.
Too fast, too complex, too eccentric, ...

And I don't think there is something wrong about it.

Last edited by Harriet (June 10, 2014 7:48 pm)

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 10, 2014 8:39 pm  #71

I completely agree, ladies. But what I meant was: It doesn't really matter what they show at prime time - whatever it is (Tatort, Rosamunde Pilcher, you name it) will always have more viewers than a show that airs at almost ten p.m.
Had they shown "Sherlock" at 8:15 p.m., the figures would have been better automatically, just because you reach a bigger audience at prime time.

June 10, 2014 8:42 pm  #72

Those who sit down for the news and just stay there, right 

June 10, 2014 8:49 pm  #73

Just after the airing they showed an advert for the DVDs which hit shelves today.
And - there will be lots of repititions in a loop as always in the regional "Third" channels.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 10, 2014 8:50 pm  #74

Harriet, that and maybe also the simple fact that a lot of people tend to go to bed at around ten p.m. ...?

Last edited by SolarSystem (June 10, 2014 8:51 pm)

June 10, 2014 8:53 pm  #75

My bookseller told me today that they are out of stock at their wholesaler. I take this for a good sign ;-)

June 10, 2014 8:55 pm  #76

Sounds good. The next time I go to Saturn I will have a look, too. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 10, 2014 8:56 pm  #77

Harriet wrote:

Those who sit down for the news and just stay there, right 

But then I was hoping for those who sit down for "Tatort" and just stay there..... 

BTW: I was one of those Germans who watched "Tatort" every sunday. Yes, it started in my youth (-> parents), and, after a little break, went on with hubby. It was a nice habit, like visiting an old aunt. (Well said, Tobe.  )
But now..... I enjoy my "free" sunday evenings. I seldom watch it now. I can't. I just can't............

Last edited by Mattlocked (June 10, 2014 8:57 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 10, 2014 8:59 pm  #78

Mattlocked wrote:

BTW: I was one of those Germans who watched "Tatort" every sunday. Yes, it started in my youth (-> parents), and, after a little break, went on with hubby. It was a nice habit, like visiting an old aunt. (Well said, Tobe.  )
But now..... I enjoy my "free" sunday evenings. I seldom watch it now. I can't. I just can't............

LOL, very similar here. I have my dinner along with the Tatort and then off ... somewhere else ...

June 10, 2014 9:02 pm  #79

The prime time problem again.
Prime time in the ARD especially at weekends simply is always "occupied" by the same kind of programmes. Impossible to gain a foothold. Even if they would try it on a Saturday.

Last edited by gently69 (June 10, 2014 9:03 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

June 10, 2014 9:02 pm  #80

Same with me. I do not have the patience anymore. And there are so many Tatorts today so they often lack good scripts. And imagination. And courage to try something new. And if they do, you get Til Schweiger. 

Board footera