BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 8, 2014 9:19 pm  #21

Re: Im Zeichen der Drei (TSoT), German TV ARD, June 8, 2014

gently69 wrote:

Und the change to "du".

Yes, it works beautifully. And isn't it amazing that the relationship between Sherlock and John almost immediately feels different because of the "du"...?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 8, 2014 9:21 pm  #22

Yeah ... stronger ... closer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

June 8, 2014 9:22 pm  #23

Okay, I must admit the dubbing of the ep was actually quite clever, and the best man scene worked well that way. The switching to Du added even more weight to it. I'm happy with how they solved that particular conundrum. The only thing that didn't work was the elephant in the room, but that was to be expected.

That said, I'm still not keen on the German dubbing per se. I understand that it's necessary, but I'd much rather have subtitles or a choice of either/or. Plus, Sherlock's voice is nothing like his original one, and neither is John's.

June 8, 2014 9:24 pm  #24

PS: This is the very first time I've seen Sherlock dubbed, and the first thing I've watched dubbed in a very long time. Sherlock made me do it. *sigh*

June 8, 2014 9:25 pm  #25

gently69 wrote:

Yeah ... stronger ... closer.

Yes, funnily enough I especially felt it when John asks Sherlock to chose a case so he can get out of this wedding planning situation. They are sitting at the table together and it no longer feels as if the assistant asks the consulting detective for a favour. It almost feels intimate.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

June 8, 2014 9:26 pm  #26

I am also quite happy with the dubbing. And for me the "du" felt wonderful and right from the very first moment. 
The one thing I am not sure about - how did they translate "I don't mind"? I think that was not as good as in the original. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 8, 2014 9:29 pm  #27

Susi, John says: "Nichts passiert", Sherlock answers: "Ist in Ordnung." So you could say that they turned it around a bit in the dubbed version.

Last edited by SolarSystem (June 8, 2014 9:30 pm)

June 8, 2014 9:30 pm  #28

Exactly. Friends are talking, not "colleagues" any more. That feels ... good.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

June 8, 2014 9:36 pm  #29

SolarSystem wrote:

Susi, John says: "Nichts passiert", Sherlock answers: "Ist in Ordnung." So you could say that they turned it around a bit in the dubbed version.

So John is not the active part. He could have said "Nichts dagegen" or something like that. But these are small things compared to the good solutions they found. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 8, 2014 9:41 pm  #30

SolarSystem wrote:

Okay, apart from the fact that Mary was clearly recognizable in the trailer they just showed for HLV...
...I love Sherlock's "Ich hol nur mal schnell was raus" ....

Yes, I had to laugh about that! 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 8, 2014 9:42 pm  #31

John also could have said something like "Macht ja nichts"/"Macht doch nichts", this also would have sounded less like an apology. "Nichts passiert" sounds a bit too defensive... but you are right, it's just a minor detail.

June 8, 2014 9:44 pm  #32

Nice bonus for the Germans. Although the English expression is quite interesting, too:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=whip%20it%20out

June 8, 2014 9:44 pm  #33

TeeJay wrote:

... Plus, Sherlock's voice is nothing like his original one, and neither is John's.

No, and we all know that. But still, I liked the way they did it very much.

Hubby said: It helps to understand, but it changes the atmosphere a bit. But this is what I feel all the time when I watch any dubbed movie.

June 8, 2014 9:47 pm  #34

And I felt like that voice has gotten a little better even.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 8, 2014 9:47 pm  #35

Mattlocked: Exactly. I think they did the best possible job. 

Last edited by SusiGo (June 8, 2014 9:50 pm)

June 8, 2014 9:56 pm  #36

Harriet wrote:

And I felt like that voice has gotten a little better even.

I feel the same. Or maybe the voice has just grown on me. It certainly isn't as dark and velvet as Benedict's voice - Benedict's voice is just unique, we all know that - but at least it doesn't feel completely wrong, at least not to me.
And I guess we don't need to have a general discussion now about the fact that the voice is an important part of an actor that can never be replaced by another voice.

June 8, 2014 9:58 pm  #37

I agree. And I think we are all able to switch off the original when watching the German version. This is at least what I try to do. 

June 8, 2014 10:04 pm  #38

June 8, 2014 10:05 pm  #39

And Tommy Morgenstern deserves some appreciation for his good work as well 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 8, 2014 10:05 pm  #40

I even got used to John's voice today. AND I noticed the "touched, emotional, teary tone" in his voice in his comments during Sherlock's wedding speech. Quite good!

Last edited by Mattlocked (June 8, 2014 10:06 pm)

Board footera